Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Is there any point where the mages guild dailies become better to do than lore book farming?

Azyle1
Azyle1
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm level 20 on my new MagBlade and decided to level mages guild first before hitting 50 (alt character so I don't plan on questing) . I cleared AD zones and now Stonefalls and am 8 and a half into mages guild. However after clearing AD, I only can get the zone specific 10 lore books. It's been maddening since the start and I may jump off a bridge but is lore books still the fastest way?

Also for those who said you can do mages guild in 5 hours.. I laugh at that. On console with a new character that has no shrines or mount speed... this is the worst thing in the game period.

Fixed the typos in the title (stupid phone).
Edited by Azyle1 on May 24, 2018 4:31PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, maybe try and buy or get some speed gear like cowards, and such to help?
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Without addon is real hard and not to do in a few hours
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's a nightmare. I understand now why people complain.

Although I am curious... how many lore books increase a level? Or in other words, how many "mages guild exp" points do I need to increase a level?
    Edited by Azyle1 on May 24, 2018 4:39PM
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azyle1 wrote: »

Although I am curious... how many lore books increase a level? Or in other words, how many "mages guild exp" points do I need to increase a level?

Each individual lore book gives 5xp for the Mages Guild, completing a collection gives another 20xp. But collecting the books is not really a daily quest. There is one that you can get from the Mages Guild in Elden Root/Wayrest/Mournhold which sends you to a public dungeon to collect some Sheogorath artifact. I'm not sure if completing the quest also gives 5xp or rather 10xp. But you also get skill line xp for the associated achievements for this daily quest.

And I think the amount of Mages Guild xp required for the next level increases with each level, but I haven't checked that. On PC you can see how much xp is missing by hovering over the progress bar for the skill line. Not sure if this is also doable on console, but you could try if there is a display for it as well.
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    feyii wrote: »
    Azyle1 wrote: »

Each individual lore book gives 5xp for the Mages Guild, completing a collection gives another 20xp. But collecting the books is not really a daily quest. There is one that you can get from the Mages Guild in Elden Root/Wayrest/Mournhold which sends you to a public dungeon to collect some Sheogorath artifact. I'm not sure if completing the quest also gives 5xp or rather 10xp. But you also get skill line xp for the associated achievements for this daily quest.

And I think the amount of Mages Guild xp required for the next level increases with each level, but I haven't checked that. On PC you can see how much xp is missing by hovering over the progress bar for the skill line. Not sure if this is also doable on console, but you could try if there is a display for it as well.

Yeah, I do not think I can on console. I'm rather surprised this has not been changed. This is awful.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes the same amount per level I'm pretty sure. I just use my phone and Google up the lore book map. The books usually make a big circle.

Does take a while though
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes the same amount per level I'm pretty sure. I just use my phone and Google up the lore book map. The books usually make a big circle.

Does take a while though

I think I have spent like... 9 or 10 hours so far maybe? I'm still not maxed. That is pretty absurd for something so boring.
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭

Does take a while though

It increases with each level.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel so bad for people on console sometimes. Doing mages guild without addons just seems terrible. I feel like the mages guild in each zone should have a map or something you can read to put them on your map. Could even make a small quest out of it.
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible for it to count when reading ones placed in someones house?
    Xbox One Na
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel so bad for people on console sometimes. Doing mages guild without addons just seems terrible. I feel like the mages guild in each zone should have a map or something you can read to put them on your map. Could even make a small quest out of it.

Yeah, you're telling me. I have the game on PC (dont play obv, but I have it) but I'm max CP and Console and don't feel like doing that grind again. Plus I have friends and trials guilds I play with. I don't know anyone on PC.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. They’re mostly for farming motif chapters.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, definitely not. I looked into this a little while ago and it's absolutely trash-tier experience if you're looking for a fast grind. They're fun quests that help you get familiar with the public dungeons of Tamriel, and they also sometimes reward Draugr motif pages/style items, so they're definitely not bad to do, they're just bad for speed-leveling Mage's Guild skill line.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. I actually really enjoy hunting around for lorebooks, makes me feel like I am hunting for old spell books or long lost knowledge. I am on PC but don’t use the add on to find them.

I guess if you enjoy blasting through content quickly (and it’s seems the majority of people do) or find it boring then yes it could be a bit of grind.

Maybe they could add something like the thieves guild chest noise or an item or passive to make them easier to spot and find, given that consoles don’t have the option of add-ons. Because I fear a major overhaul of the way it works at the moment is not likely to change.

• Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. I actually really enjoy hunting around for lorebooks, makes me feel like I am hunting for old spell books or long lost knowledge. I am on PC but don’t use the add on to find them.

I guess if you enjoy blasting through content quickly (and it’s seems the majority of people do) or find it boring then yes it could be a bit of grind.

Maybe they could add something like the thieves guild chest noise or an item or passive to make them easier to spot and find, given that consoles don’t have the option of add-ons. Because I fear a major overhaul of the way it works at the moment is not likely to change.

Yeah. I'm not sure how vital the skills are but to me, if it's going to help.. I want it cause I want to be the best. However..... it REALLY makes me not want to level up another mag/healer ever again and honestly that is sad to think about. Maybe I'll do stam next, then mag after that so I don't put a bullet in my brain.
  • greenmachine
    greenmachine
    ✭✭✭
    Focus on completing collections of lorebooks. Each zone has a collection of 10 books that gives an additional achievement bonus of Mages Guild rep. You can pull up maps that show the locations of both the collection books and the non-collection books. Spend a little time in each zone and you'll be surprised how fast you gain rep, even at higher Mages Guild levels where a single book won't even appear to move your rep at all.

Some books are hidden behind quest walls. Sometimes it's a quick easy quest like in Grahtwood, sometimes it's a long chain like in Rivenspire. I just skipped Rivenspire (although I liked the quest, I've done it on 5 or 6 toons) and moved to a different zone.

Good luck, you can get there, and for mag toons it's worth it.
    greenmachine513 PS4-NA
    GM of Aldmeri People's Front
    Ionien - Altmer Mag Sorc Stormproof | Dr Jonny Fever - Breton Healplar | Bernie Dresden - Dunmer MagDK | Crushasaurus Rex - Argonian Stam DK
    Ser Greywulf - Nord DK Tank | Meow Kapwn - Khajit Magblade | Twink Versatile - Bosmer Stamblade | Loke-Tarr - Orc Stamden | Juicy Thunderthighs - Redguard Stamsorc | Frizz Grizzberg - Magden | Hax Killstealer - Dunmer Mag Sorc
    HEY HEY HEY SMOKE SKOOMA EVERYDAY
    JOIN THE APF ON PS4NA:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/400830/aldmeri-peoples-front-recruiting-ps4na#latest

HAIL DAEDRA
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look here for the breakdown of how much Reputation is required for each rank, and also for all the different sources of Reputation: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Mages_Guild#Reputation
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need to clear your alliance, coldharbour and complete a fee sets with the Cyro & a couple of Dungeon books. So you must have missed some OP.

Oops mini Necro
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders