The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Breton Dragonknight Stamina or Magic DPS

StGeorge
StGeorge
Soul Shriven
Hey everybody, I've been playing ESO since it's release, and I still run with the same starting char. Breton Dragonknight. Now, I am currently running a magic based DK, but my staff and spell damage is very low (around 1.400) whereas my weapon damage is higher, around 1.600.
Now my this is making me question whether if magic is good for Breton DK? I also really don't know much about builds. Haven't really got into it all that much. Been mostly casually playing, but recently I wanted to try PVP, and got thrashed.... So, any advice?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you want to go by Breton racial passives, magicka is going to be better than stamina. (Says the person who happily plays a Breton Stam Sorc)

Go with what you want to play, but just keep in mind that everyone gets thrashed when they start out in PVP. Its not your race/class as much as its just inexperience.
  • StGeorge
    StGeorge
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah, I already maxed out my racials, and I allocated all my attribute points to magicka, so it's weird to me that swords do more damage than staff.
  • StGeorge
    StGeorge
    Soul Shriven
    And I tend to every once in a while respec my points (i maxed out all weapons skills, crafting, ardent flame, werewolf etc.) and am now leveling light armor draconic powers and earthen heart, and such
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a gear issue though, matching sets / armour style (heavy, light, medium.)

Getting above 2K spell damage isn't a problem usually.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • StGeorge
    StGeorge
    Soul Shriven
    Well, like I said, I respeced all my points, and am currently focusing on light armor (I maxed out Heavy Armor).
    What could I maybe do about the gear? Do I mix Heavy/light/medium, or do I go all one type. I kinda got used to older RPGs where if you go all one type you get significant buffs and bonuses, and I just like that logic from the roleplaying aspect really, but as far as I know, that isn't necessarily the case in ESO
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic.
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a gear issue though, matching sets / armour style (heavy, light, medium.)

Getting above 2K spell damage isn't a problem usually.
    StGeorge wrote: »
    Well, like I said, I respeced all my points, and am currently focusing on light armor (I maxed out Heavy Armor).
    What could I maybe do about the gear? Do I mix Heavy/light/medium, or do I go all one type. I kinda got used to older RPGs where if you go all one type you get significant buffs and bonuses, and I just like that logic from the roleplaying aspect really, but as far as I know, that isn't necessarily the case in ESO

Well you should focus on light armour minimum of 5 pieces for the bottom two passives to work. Then you could either go with 7 light pieces 0 Heavy 0 Medium, 5L - 1H - 1M or 5L - 2H - 0M.

There is a passive from undaunted which gives you %bonus to all three stats if you wear at least one piece of all three, but you'll have one less of for instance light armour's magicka recovery or heavy armour's health recovery if you do decide to slot one medium piece.

However, other than gear weight, spell damage comes from CP allocation, enchantments, matching set pieces and class/weapon passives.(not considering skill effects for now.)

Which platform / server do you play on?

P.S. with the outfit system you can create a costume using motifs / gear pieces to create your desired Role Play aesthetic costume. You could run around in the appearance of Heavy armour, while your actual gear is light.
    [PS4/EU]

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • StGeorge
    StGeorge
    Soul Shriven
    I play on PC Europe server.
    I Know about outfits. But I am traditional that way :smile: Mage is light armor, rogue usually medium and warrior heavy. I'm used to that kind of philosophy.
    What gear would be the best for DPS? I know there are various sets
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    StGeorge wrote: »
    I play on PC Europe server.
    I Know about outfits. But I am traditional that way :smile: Mage is light armor, rogue usually medium and warrior heavy. I'm used to that kind of philosophy.
    What gear would be the best for DPS? I know there are various sets

Well the thing is, you need to think about the accessibility of those sets.

I don't know how much your current CP / available gold is?

I think for PvE your best options are :

Mother's Sorrow (https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Mother's+Sorrow+Set)
    Silk's of the Sun (https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Silks+of+the+Sun+Set)

These are more oriented towards PvE damage, but overland sets. So you could farm them in Stonefalls / Deshaan. They're also available in guild traders but given Mag DK's buff this patch they're gonna be expensive sadly.

Another option is Elf Bane (https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elf+Bane+Set). Which can be purchased from the specialized gear vendor in Vlastarus, South-West on Cyrodiil's map. Packs costs 20,000AP. You can also buy this in guild traders, but they will cost some gold in the current patch.

Alcast provides great builds but they are aimed at BiS gear, or with the idea that you can at least farm group dungeons for Monster sets or Dungeon gear.

His PvE build in current's patch is https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-dragonknight-build-pve-db/.
    His PvP build in current's patch is https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-dragonknight-burst-build-pvp/.

I'd recommend watching both, see what he writes about it also to have a gist of which skills he uses and why, how he allocates his CP etc.

My suggestion would be to obtain:

2 Elf-Bane body pieces + 3 jewelry and 3 body pieces of Silks of the Sun + 2 staves for PvE.

[PS4/EU]

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • StGeorge
    StGeorge
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks. I'll check it out.