Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Transferring to new SSD

W0lf_z13
W0lf_z13
✭✭✭✭✭
So, a few questions in one.....
Recently I decided to upgrade my SSD drive ( should be getting the new one in tomorrow ).
Can anyone tell me what the easiest way to go about transferring my current EsO data to the new drive?
Do I just copy the entire folder? or specific files?
Do I first install the game from the disc onto the new drive and THEN do the transfer?
Any help is appreciated!
Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣

Best Answers

• JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easier to keep a external drive handy to save your backups on and be ready for transfer incase you change out your ssd or any other internal drives. If you don't have one, I heard of softwares such as Disk Clone and Back up utility. But I never used them so look them up and use at your own risk. Just make sure to keep a backup before any transfers.

Edit: But yeah, if you have the ESO disc, you can just reinstall after you install the new ssd if you dont care about any of your settings or other data you currently have.
    Edited by JaZ2091 on May 22, 2018 5:34PM
    Answer ✓
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may also want to check \$USERDIR\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\ to backup your addon & settings.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
    Answer ✓
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the launcher for an option to move install dir. I seem to remember doing that when I got my new drive, but it could have been another game.
    [DC/NA]
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JaZ2091 wrote: »
    It's easier to keep a external drive handy to save your backups on and be ready for transfer incase you change out your ssd or any other internal drives. If you don't have one, I heard of softwares such as Disk Clone and Back up utility. But I never used them so look them up and use at your own risk. Just make sure to keep a backup before any transfers.

thankfully i have a 2tb external.... do i just copy the files over to the external as an "oh ***" scenario?
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    Check the launcher for an option to move install dir. I seem to remember doing that when I got my new drive, but it could have been another game.

ill check that later tonight when i get home, thank you

• JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    W0lf_z13 wrote: »

thankfully i have a 2tb external.... do i just copy the files over to the external as an "oh ***" scenario?

I usually do a backup every 2-3 months if I add anything new. Especially with school and work documents, it's nice to have copies as well as game saves and add-ons if I have any. Never know with hard ware failures these days. But yeah, you can create a backup copy of your current computer system. Should be under updates and security for restore points, backup, and system image.

Edit: But if its only for ESO you care about, copy the ESO files under Program Files in Drive C (or wherever you installed), as well as the ESO files in your documents tab (Add-ons, screenshots, user settings, Errors) as said above. Sorry the long Response xD.
    Edited by JaZ2091 on May 22, 2018 5:49PM
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion the only things worth backing up with ESO is the Documents>Elder Scrolls Online folder with all the addons, screen shots and settings. The game files themselves can be easily downloaded again.

Unless you are backing up to avoid a download.
    [DC/NA]
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    W0lf_z13 wrote: »

I usually do a backup every 2-3 months if I add anything new. Especially with school and work documents, it's nice to have copies as well as game saves and add-ons if I have any. Never know with hard ware failures these days. But yeah, you can create a backup copy of your current computer system. Should be under updates and security for restore points, backup, and system image.

Edit: But if its only for ESO you care about, copy the ESO files under Program Files in Drive C (or wherever you installed), as well as the ESO files in your documents tab (Add-ons, screenshots, user settings, Errors) as said above. Sorry the long Response xD.

no worries, thank you for the info
    Edited by W0lf_z13 on May 22, 2018 5:53PM

• Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This program is amazing and works wonders. It's called "Steam Mover", but it's really for moving any folder to another drive and "tricking" the OS into thinking it's still in the same location.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

• W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    In my opinion the only things worth backing up with ESO is the Documents>Elder Scrolls Online folder with all the addons, screen shots and settings. The game files themselves can be easily downloaded again.

Unless you are backing up to avoid a download.

will be putting the game on the new ssd to play from that one ... currently I've been running off a 250GB SSD... but apparently I'm at less than 10% left of the capacity ... so I ordered a 1TB SSD to swap to... not sure if there is a way to avoid the long ass dling time that I think i'll be in for lol

• W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you everyone that gave me some info .... I ended up apparently taking the LOOOOOOOONG road .... installed the game from disc onto the new SSD then copied the files from the C Drive as well as the documents folders over to it .... Everything appeared to be running correctly .... doing it this way took a little over 2 hours :/ LOL
    Edited by W0lf_z13 on May 24, 2018 11:49AM