The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Jewelry research bugged

VexingArcanist
VexingArcanist
✭✭✭✭
Researched a Robust ring. After researching time elapsed go to research again and same options are available including the Robust ring. Perplexed I research Robust again, timer now 10h+.

If it isn't a bug why do I need to double research the same trait on the same item (ring)?
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay it seems the Researchable (Robust) being available again and when applied again doesn't actually put it into true research but clears the Researchable on the trait in question. The Researching 0/1 was displayed. I then put Robust Necklace into research. There is something buggy here.
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Researching is just bugged/broken after the update. Now I go to research a shield I have 2/3 slots used for research, put shield in, select to research and I am informed I have no research slots available.
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Double checked, reloagged. Now Woodcrafting shows 3/3, no shields queued, 3 other items queued. So that issue is research is NOT displaying the proper slots available. It's buggy and seems to do this randomly?
  • WldKarde
    WldKarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you can do research, for some reason it wont let me do ANY.
    And yes I have eligible pieces available.

Edit: And I'm an idiot, an out of date addon was the problem :(
    Edited by WldKarde on May 22, 2018 4:06PM
    PC NA
    Characters formally known as Veteran 16:
    Wldkarde, Sir WldKarde , Lil-Miss WldKarde,
    Dame WldKarde Stamplar "Master Angler" "Main" ,
    Shady WldKarde, WldKarde"s Bacon, Jaded WldKarde,
    River Wldkarde
    18 Master Anglers so far
    "Dames and Sirs, take my advice, pull down your pants...and slide on the ice!" Slightly adjusted quote of Dr. Sidney Friedman from M*A*S*H
  • Amarthiul
    Amarthiul
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm getting a similar issue. I've had it separately on Woodworking, Jewelry Crafting and now Clothing. Each of them said I had a free research slot but wouldn't let me research another item, saying there wasn't an available slot.

It's not an addons issue, I tried disabling all of them and things were still broken.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same with clothing. Hope my infused jewelry will not bug out shortly after.
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep I disabled all crafting addons, same issue. The only fix for me is to log out and back in, and it's a temporary fix.
  • ShellaSunshine
    ShellaSunshine
    ✭✭✭
    https://imgur.com/7iqEdoy

I did my jewelry certification as soon as I got into Summerset.

After my certification was complete, I went to research a necklace. After clicking yes to the item being destroyed, it still shows on the screen that necklaces are researchable and there are currently 0/1 being researched.

I logged out and logged back in but it didn't change.

So, I tried to research a different necklace and it the top right corner of the screenshot, you'll see that it says, "Already researching trait line." I have no idea if it's actually researching the trait but it did destroy my item.

When travelling outside of Summerset (DeShaan and Stormhaven), my other crafting stations were bugging out. My woodworking/clothing/blacksmithing stations all had 3/3 before leaving Summerset and now it says 2/3 and it's letting me destroy items for research but not showing up or stopping me from researching other items.

I lost 2 nirnhoned items this way... as well as 1 infused shield and 1 charged staff.

For the Jewelry crafting station: It's not showing a timer and when logging in today, still won't let me research another trait and it's been longer than 10 hours since I tried to research that first necklace.

It has destroyed my items and it appears that it's not researching traits at all...

I have no add-ons downloaded or enabled when I went to Summerset. I deactivated and uninstalled them all because at the time I started playing, none of them had been updated and I was worried it was going to cause problems.
    Edited by ShellaSunshine on May 22, 2018 6:57PM
  • theskymoves
    theskymoves
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am also unable to research clothing traits, despite having open slots. Tried logging out/in, but no joy. *grumble grumble grumble*

It's not consuming items in my case, it's just refusing to work.

ETA that after logging in and out again, I now find that my clothing research task commenced on its own, but the jewelry research task that was in progress is no longer active, with the item being researched having nonetheless been consumed. /flipdesk

Note that I am not in Summerset; the crafting stations involved are in Reapers March.

=====

And after another re-log, the jewelry research task is back. (At least for the moment. :/ )
    Edited by theskymoves on May 22, 2018 7:39PM
  • Striken7
    Striken7
    ✭✭✭
    Workstations are sometimes showing 2/3 research, and showing two items currently in progress. When trying to add a research nothing happens (item is not consumed). This is because, in my case, a third item is already researching, but the display is bugged. Changing zones or relogging can fix it and all three items show the correct remaining duration.

If your item is consumed, I would guess you really were at less than max research, and the research did start, but the display is just bugged at that point. Then, when you zone/log and it updates, it looks like it "commenced on its own". I have not been able to reproduce any instance where an item is used and research has not really started, or an in progress research disappears, beyond only a temporary display bug.

Seems like another symptom of server problems. My gathering has also been acting weird only very recently.
    Edited by Striken7 on May 22, 2018 7:42PM
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, this is not just a Jewelry crafting issue. It's an old bug which has resurfaced. I re-opened two old threads from August 2017 or so that referred to the issue then.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/366783/no-available-research-slot
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5155476

At the time, someone provided a script which you can use while in the crafting station interface to free up the "unavailable" slot. However, that script doesn't appear to work anymore.
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on May 22, 2018 9:58PM
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify the problem (at least for jewelry), it seems that the UI for the crafting station is sometimes incorrectly showing that a research slot is free. I started a 12 hour jewelry research on one toon last night, signed in at 8am the next morning and it appeared to have completed (two hours early). (I got the "no Research Slots Available" message when trying to start a new research.) Checking in a bit later after the jewelry research SHOULD have completed, and I was able to start researching a new trait as normal.

Update: in addition to (incorrectly) showing a research slot is free when this bug occurs, the UI will show that the trait that you are actually currently researching is NOT researched yet. It appears as if you have not begun researching it.
    The only workaround that I am aware of for this issue is to simply wait until the (invisible) trait research completes. The research slot will then actually be available and the trait researched will show as known.
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on May 25, 2018 4:24PM
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: I have not seen this bug in the last few days. I suspect that one of the recent server reboots fixed it somehow, since I have not seen any mention of it in the patch notes.
  • Amarlado
    Amarlado
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it's still very much bugged for me :/
  • Emathides
    Emathides
    ✭✭✭
    FYI, this is not just a Jewelry crafting issue. It's an old bug which has resurfaced. I re-opened two old threads from August 2017 or so that referred to the issue then.

I'm now dealing with the same bug, and it popped up when I put more points into research and opened up more slots..so it seems to be an issue with the overall number of research slots. I've tested, and it's not addon related - its a game bug.

It rotates between Jewelry Crafting, Blacksmithing and Woodworking on different logins. Of course, it's affecting slots in which expensive items were used for the research, like my nirnhoned bow >.<.

ZOS, can we please have a response and fix on this?

Edited by Emathides on June 3, 2018 8:37PM
  • Rlacoste
    Rlacoste
    ✭✭✭
    Seems many of us are having the same issues......

Gonna take 16 yrs to research he jewelry line, maybe longer
    Edited by Rlacoste on June 3, 2018 8:44PM
  • Tygerfire
    Tygerfire
    ✭✭
    So, I'm a bit behind on this issue.... I spent the first week selling jewels instead of leveling, but I just ran into the same issue.

Any fix yet?
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: in addition to (incorrectly) showing a research slot is free when this bug occurs, the UI will show that the trait that you are actually currently researching is NOT researched yet. It appears as if you have not begun researching it.

I'm having this exact bug on PS4 NA, console release day.

Edit: Logging out and back in has fixed it, temporarily I assume.
    Edited by weedgenius on June 5, 2018 8:43PM
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Tygerfire
    Tygerfire
    ✭✭
    I didn't start having this issue until I expanded my research on smithing/clothing and jewelcraft became my 10th researching slot?

3/3 ww, 3/3 cc, 3/3 bs, and 1/1 jc
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I have not seen this bug in the last few days. I suspect that one of the recent server reboots fixed it somehow, since I have not seen any mention of it in the patch notes.

I just ran into this bug on clothing research today.

Display showed 2/3 research slots used. Tried to research multiple items, no bueno.

Relogged. Went back to clothing station.

Display shows 3/3 research slots.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, the broken trait research slot issue was listed as fixed in incremental patch 4.0.9 on Monday, June 11 (PC/NA). Might still affect consoles until they get this patch.

I have not verified the fix personally because the issue seemed to disappear for me about a week ago. Then again, it was a fairly inconsistent/intermittent problem to begin with.
  • Amarlado
    Amarlado
    ✭✭✭
    I have verified that since the incremental patch, I haven't experienced this bug any longer. Yay!