The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Have you stopped caring about exclusive stuff?

Mavloc
Mavloc
✭✭✭
I'm at a point where whenever I see a Radiant Apex mount in game, rather than saying:
"Wow! That guy got a Radiant Apex Mount!"

It's more like:
"Lol, that dude wasted a crapload of money."

Anyone else? I feel like Zos has taken the concept of exclusivity and rammed it 20,000 feet through the ground.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever any new items or deals come out for the crown store, I ask myself:

*Will I still want this tomorrow?
    *Will I ever use this?
    *Does this feel worth it to me?

Then I force myself to wait closer to the end of the promotion (sleep on it). In that time if I answered no to any of those questions, I won't even consider buying it. Otherwise, I'll make sure that there's nothing else coming up or existing that I may want more or anything I'm saving up for.

This thought process keeps me from hardly ever getting anything in the crown store.
    Edited by Ley on May 20, 2018 11:33PM
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crates are a letdown 99.99% of the time, and “limited exclusive deals” are overpriced at the best of times. I get taken in by the houses because tbh decorating them prbly my favorite waste of time and resources.
  • Wayshuba
    Wayshuba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, haven't stop caring about exclusive stuff.

Just stopped caring about the store period.

Still trying to figure out who exactly ZoS is marketing to with the astronomical prices in the CS.
    Edited by Wayshuba on May 20, 2018 8:58PM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mavloc wrote: »
    I'm at a point where whenever I see a Radiant Apex mount in game, rather than saying:
    "Wow! That guy got a Radiant Apex Mount!"

It's more like:
    "Lol, that dude wasted a crapload of money."

Anyone else? I feel like Zos has taken the concept of exclusivity and rammed it 20,000 feet through the ground.

I just think that that person got lucky. Some people get lucky on their first few crates, or even with their free crates. I don't get jealous. I get happy for the person.
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything in this game is exclusive, and I don't mean that as a compliment. 'Crown crate exclusives', 'Holiday exclusives', 'Fatal Fredas Exclusives', 'Random give us money exclusives', 'DLC exclusives', Chapter exclusives'. Things cease to be truly exclusive when every-***-thing added to the game is marketed as 'exclusive' its just bloody lazy.

The marketing is very aggressive but altogether not very good. Y'know when somebody comes up with something that is woefully overpriced, but then they put 'only' in front of it so it seems better? Thats basically my view of everything ZOS do.

I'm begging that they use Summerset as the line in the sand to adopt more consumer friendly practises. Use older mounts as rewards for completing certain challenges in older dungeons or add them as rare drops. Imagine the replayability if CoA 1 dropped a senche of some kind randomly.

Anyway, in answer to the OP - In my eyes ZOS have cheapened the term 'exclusive' with aggressive overuse.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • FR0STDEE
    FR0STDEE
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that I have a crap load of crowns that have been sitting there for about 9 months just waiting for something decent to buy from the crown store. Absolutely nothing has interested me lately except stuff that go into crown crates and I sure as hell ain't dumb enough to go down that road.
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got lucky in the sense that I never really began caring about the exclusive stuff since most of the pure crate exclusives have been mounts.

And I've never been a fan of the flashy effects, neons lights and flames kind of mounts they keep as Radiant Apex Rewards. I've literally won some of the Apex mounts and I don't even use them cause they're just not my cup of tea. I love my Banded Guar and tbh don't see anything replacing him anytime soon.

For me houses, Houses & Costumes are the big things I look for on the Crown Store and fortunately to my knowledge, none of the houses have been Crown Crate Exclusive (Yet :/).

But I do acknowledge how much it sucks for those who do love collecting all sorts of crazy mounts and whatnot. The moment they start releasing Crate Exclusive Homes is when I'll feel it more.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I never cared about it in the first place.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I care about whether mounts, etc. please me, not whether others have them--and what pleases me tends to be more natural looking than apex offerings.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never cared in the sense of going "Wow that guy has an apex mount!"

I like cosmetics and I like seeing what other people do with them, but for me what's important is that it looks good together, not that it's rare or expensive or even hard to get. If I see a character where it's clear the player put some time and effort into how they look and found a mount that makes sense for them (or even just suits their colour scheme) then I'm impressed. Doesn't matter if they're using racial motifs and the brown horse, or dungeon drops and a radiant apex mount, the important thing is it looks good together. (And in general if you simply throw together all your rarest/most expensive skins then it doesn't look good, especially if you use all your rarest dyes as well.)

Sometimes there's mounts (or other things) in crates I'd like for myself, but I don't really think about it much. I'm never going to buy crates no matter how much I like the stuff in them so it's irrelevant. It's like seeing a cool mount in a game I don't play, I'm not going to get the game just for the mount so there's no point spending much time on how much I like it and what I'd do with it if I had it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes the aggressive pricing has made things that are rare to get a bit of a joke.

Agree with OP, instead of 1st thought going....wow that person has got a rare mount! woop woop. It is....wow they might of wasted a large amount of money to get that one thing...

Now they have these dungeon bosses items coming out and I am not even looking at them. Its a waste all of it. It's all too expensive for what it is.

On a marketing sense I personally think they have missed the mark on most of the crown store items.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't know that though, he could've gotten it from the free crown crates. Anyway, good on him, if he paid for it or not. These are cosmetics, they change nothing in the game.
  • KwarcPL
    KwarcPL
    ✭✭✭
    Mavloc wrote: »

Same feeling here. They are too much repetitive. For real, how much retextured horses do we need? Wolves and senches ain't any better. Exclusives lost at some point their creative vibe. Just take popular mount/pet, add random adjective, reskin thim adequately and voila. Flesh Atronach Horse, here you are. We need more uniqueness. I don't know... Boar Mount or Serpent Pet. That would be far more interesting than another Wolf.
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a rare apex mount in 4 crates I bought a couple weeks ago. I didnt waste a ton of money. I was not even seeking it, although I sure as hell ain't complaining.
  • Orticia
    Orticia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't stop caring... I never cared depending on your definition of caring. They are all priced more then I am willing to pay for them, both direct and even more spending enough to guarantee through RNG boxes.

I do however get a smile on my face when I get an exclusive item I happen to like in a free or occasional bought crate. As I never count on getting one.

Also I have only 1 main, one rarely used character and one who's more dust by now then character. So I don't really need more mounts as they all got mounts I love for them. But even so the free crate frost bear mount one with the furs from last crates was fun as he's guarding my workshop from the garden now. Would never have bought it but still love that I got it.
    Edited by Orticia on May 21, 2018 3:51PM
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exclusive never mattered to me. I either like something or I don't regardless of how hard it is to get and I am more likely to find myself admiring the more common mounts than the top of the line ones. Sadly I have several apex mounts that sit unused as I don't like them as much as other options I have. Now if I ever really liked an "exclusive" mount that someone else had that's OK, I don't need everything for my game to be complete or for me to be satisfied. I also think "good for them" if it makes them happy.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never cared about exclusive stuff to begin with. :|

(*edited because my clumsy fingers put an extra "g" in "begin.")
    Edited by SydneyGrey on May 21, 2018 4:55PM
  • ploddab16_ESO
    ploddab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I care about the exclusive stuff, but only in the sense of 'Why didn't they add this to dungeon x, y or z in order to get more people playing them on a regular basis?'

How many 'Crown Store Exclusives' are in fact rewards that have been ripped from the loot table and stuffed into a crown crate to further milk money from the whales among us? It wasn't as bad back in the days of launch, but after so many DLC's it's become blatantly obvious what kind of merchandising ZOS is committed to pursuing, and along with that, their outlook on the lifespan of ESO. If they're loading the crown store with everything under the sun and leaving the in game rewards as bare and bland as possible, it means they're not looking on a long term return for the game, or a long lifespan for it either. So soon as enough people are finally turned off, it'll likely be lights off for ESO.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No i haven't stopped caring about exclusives i just think if zos never adds "name" mount again they wont get any money off me... as i can't buy it..

Exclusives do not bother me artificially holding crap back annoys me a lot and they are cutting their own throats as no one can buy them.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Never bothered tbh. However, if you ever see me on my radiant mount, you're free to think "Wow! That guy got a Radiant Apex Mount from a free crate!"
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they added some mounts in-game that were earnable by achievements then I might be in awe at them. But now, it's just annoying. Every time I see a crown crate mount it's just like, "dude got lucky. nice."

Why should we we "wow!" at them when it's just a gamble of our cash?
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm really not one for exclusivity. That's not why I'll buy an "exclusive" mount or house. I'll buy it because there's only one chance to get that item, and I don't want to later be wanting the item and wishing I bought it when I had a chance.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never cared ... All my goodies are from free crates ... I might see something I like on the store and as a treat if I'm flush buy it ... But I'd never pay to gamble on a chance to get something
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean the fake exclusivity created by the false scarcity marketing tactics they've been abusing? Never cared for any of it right from the start. In fact, it's one of the many factors that's turned me off to spending money at the store.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never started to caring about it in the first place. Besides, most apex mounts are ugly as hell, with a few exceptions. Similar opinion I have about fancy skins and such. Even if I have one, I'll never use it. A matter of taste, I suppose.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, a lot of the limited-time exclusive stuff turns up in crates eventually, so it is no longer exclusive anyway.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The “limitedness” doesn’t effect whether i want to buy something, it just effects if I can buy it

Because ZOS marketing doesn’t understand that most people aren’t getting paid frequently enough to throw money at 3-day availabilities.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never cared about exclusivity, in anything. Rarity is to me an artificial value meant to try to salvage something that is ugly or useless. That said, I have taken to completely ignoring radiant apex mounts. I'm never going to get one, so having any awareness of them is not only worthless to me but actually makes me resent that they exist just to be unattainable. I'd rather not spend my time resenting things so I don't even look at them.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bummed for not being able to get some items, like exclusive furniture packs and certain costumes, but not so much as I used to be, and I think my attitude started to change after the introduction of the RNG radiant apex mounts in the RNG crates. RNG-ception... I would prefer if everything was available to buy at the crown store, without time limits, but even with the apex rewards, if someone had their heart set on something, they could at least gather the gems for it, but that's not possible for the radiant rewards, and that's when I started not really minding about crown store purchases. I was just really happy that my fave house, the Orbservatory Prior, was not time limited, and was a ble to buy it a while ago. I wish all purchases were like that. I understand the marketing behind flash 'boutiques', but I think consistent revenue + happy customers is a much healthier model than burst revenue + frustrated customers in the long term.
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I understand the marketing behind flash 'boutiques', but I think consistent revenue + happy customers is a much healthier model than burst revenue + frustrated customers in the long term.
    Them doing that is one thing. People supporting them in doing that is another.

As long as people keep spending they won't change their approach because...
    They don't care.