Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Will starting a new character in Summerset be viable?

estrong20b14_ESO
I want to start the expansion with a new character, as I did in Morrowind. However, I started a Warden there and there isn't a new class in Summerset, so I will be making a magicka Sorcerer. I don't need to do the tougher stuff, just want to enjoy the storyline.

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, its about as viable as starting in Morrowind was. AKA not a totally cakewalk like the starter islands, but doable.

However, much like new Dunmer starting in morrowind were still outlanders, the Altmer of Summerset will know your Altmer is not born and bred on the island.
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 17, 2018 9:56PM
    Answer ✓
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    Thanks
    Answer ✓
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks

It's actually easier to start there than Morrowind IMO: the mob density is much lower and it even has its own version of dolmens for grinding, the Abyssal Geysers, if grinding is your thing.

You should still pop-out for a few minutes to grab a Mundus stone, join the fighters, mage's and undaunted to get those lines advancing also but you can then just pop back in and follow the quest line if you wish.

Just be aware that if you're also interested in the Psijic skill line, that will take you all over Tamriel with only the very first part of it happening in Summerset.
    Answer ✓
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know the skill line would take me all over Tamriel. I had hoped in spending the time in Summerset.

Yes. And it's quite the grind especially for those (any new character) who don't have wayshrines unlocked. It even takes you to Craglorn a couple of times. Max level characters who have been everywhere and have wayshrines unlocked have a distinct advantage leveling the Psijic line.

My advice for new characters (after having spent a lot of time on the PTS) is to do just the first part that happens only in Arteum and Summerset since you need that in order to be able to see and loot the random Psijic rifts, and just postpone leveling the line until you're done with Summerset questing.

That's my plan for the new character I plan to roll for Summerset.
    Answer ✓
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When you say: postpone leveling the line until you're done with Summerset questing, do you mean with another character who has finished the Tamriel areas and has the wayshrines?

Not necessarily.

It's just easier to travel with a character that has been all over and unlocked wayshrines. A new character that hasn't will just need to ride that mount longer distances :)

The exploration involved in advancing the Psijic line to level 2 and beyond can be done by anyone. Even though the Craglorn parts do take you to a couple of dangerous "group content" areas, you can avoid fights in those areas fairly easily if you just take your time.

EDIT to add a tip:

If you're going to pursue the Psijic skill line on a new character I highly recommend that at level 10 you do the Cyrodiil introductory quest. It's not only a couple of quick and easy skill points you also unlock Rapid Maneuvers. That extra 30% mounted speed will help you a lot when you're on a new character with slow riding speed.
    Edited by Iselin on May 18, 2018 12:25AM
    Answer ✓
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say: postpone leveling the line until you're done with Summerset questing, do you mean with another character who has finished the Tamriel areas and has the wayshrines?
    Think he say you should do the summerset quests first, then focus on leveling Psijic skill line, its nice to be in an large guild or multiple, this let you travel to players in zone, you can also ask in guild chat is some is near optimal wayshrine.

One downside of leveling in Summerset is that it will be very crowded in the start, delves tend to have more players than enemies.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Answer ✓
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    I didn't know the skill line would take me all over Tamriel. I had hoped in spending the time in Summerset.
  • estrong20b14_ESO
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    Thank you, Iselin.
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    i want to know why i started in summerset, why cant i start the first story, Tamriel story, i was automatically on summerset when i started new game, made warden, i like to start from the beginning & not skipp stuff

or does tamriel new start after summerset is done? or that story-line is complete removed for new chars, so u cant do that story with new chars
    Edited by Sugram22 on July 18, 2018 10:56PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sugram22 wrote: »
    i want to know why i started in summerset, why cant i start the first story, Tamriel story, i was automatically on summerset when i started new game, made warden, i like to start from the beginning & not skipp stuff

You can't start with the main quest unless you wayshrine back to your Starter City for your alliance and talk to the Hooded Figure. ZOS in their infinite wisdom decided to start players off in the newest content.

For the rest, I've written up a post on the original order of quests here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 18, 2018 10:59PM
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭

You can't start with the main quest unless you wayshrine back to your Starter City for your alliance and talk to the Hooded Figure. ZOS in their infinite wisdom decided to start players off in the newest content.

For the rest, I've written up a post on the original order of quests here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide

but the prison tutorial is removed for new game?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking to the Hooded figure will take you to Coldharbor for the prison level, minus the tutorial sections because its no longer a tutorial, the quest remains unchanged.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 18, 2018 11:03PM
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭

Talking to the Hooded figure will take you to Coldharbor for the prison level, minus the tutorial sections because its no longer a tutorial, the quest remains unchanged.

thx for the info
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done Summerset with a CP750 char and loved it. I was very glad that she was Gold complete and could go anywhere. It also seemed to flow nicely from the events of the main game. It seems dumb to me to start in Summerset (or Morrowind). Just like I did when Morrowind forced an alt start there, the alt I started recently completed the new 'chapter of the day' tutorial then instantly ported to one of my houses in her alliance so she could begin the real tutorial and real questline in the right order.

I get hyping the new chapter by having a start there but by Julianos' little teapot, give us the option of starting with the traditional main quest Coldharbour tutorial instead of having to invent workarounds.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on July 22, 2018 12:41AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo