Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is there a difference between a sword and axe?

crooksy80
crooksy80
So I have been grinding for a set and needed a sword it I got an axe, still one handed sharpened ect.. Is there a difference or looks looks?

Best Answer

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shield is the important part of 1h and shield. You could use a sharpened spoon and it would still be the same.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Answer ✓
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends.

If you are using the one and and skill line then there is no difference.

If you are using dual wield or 2 handed there is a difference.

There are passives in those skill lines that give extra damage to swords and extra Bleed damage to axes, and if you find a mace that has extra Penetration on it.

Also if you use the outfit system you can make it look like your sword is an axe or vice versa as well, which can be kinda tricky in PvP land if you don't spot that extra Pen from a Mace that you thought was a sword.
    Edited by Nightfall12 on May 17, 2018 6:31PM
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • crooksy80
    crooksy80
    It depends.

If you are using the one and and skill line then there is no difference.

If you are using dual wield or 2 handed there is a difference.

There are passives in those skill lines that give extra damage to swords and extra Bleed damage to axes, and if you find a mace that has extra Penetration on it.

I'll be doing an axe (wanted a sword) and a shield
    Bsw 5 piece and 5 shackle breaker mag dk
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah just use the Outfit system to change the look to the sword you like best. on !hand and Shield there is no change in stats you can even use a dagger.
    Edited by Nightfall12 on May 17, 2018 6:35PM
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • CorrosiveNatsu
    @crooksy80

If you are just looking for 1h and Shield, then you are fine.

The difference really comes in with dual-wielding.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main thing to remember here is the pointy end goes towards the enemy.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes like others have said with one hand and shield, any weapon will do as they all the same, a lot of people have the misconception that the weapon you wield matters due to the duel wield passives lol