The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"Caltrops"

Datolite
Datolite
✭✭✭✭✭
I know it might seem weird posting about PvP in this forum, but I want to reach the intended audience about a problem in our Battleground community. I was just in a BG where one of our team was just standing there doing nothing. Not even leaving the spawn. When I asked why he just said "caltrops".

And this is something that's been happening way too often lately, something that we'll likely see even more of once BGs become part of base game. I told him he was ruining it for everyone, but he just said we were "unlucky" for being stuck with him and then the ol' "blame Bethesda" (his words, I'm well aware ZOS is developer). After the game ended, he said "see you next round." That's when I decided to do my crafting dailies instead and log off. I only get around an hour to play each night and that was my second night in a row with a player doing this. I wish I was making this up.

I get it, Caltrops gives you an edge in dungeons the BiS builds use them. Same story for Vigor. But here's the thing: if you want them, you should have to earn them. Just as every serious PvPer has to do the godawful grind for Undaunted passives, PvErs have their own (though significantly shorter) trial to undertake to be the best of the best. Thing is, PvPers don't stand around in veteran dungeons saying "undaunted passives lol" while they mash their short hairs in the corner and ignore their group. They do their pledges, play their roles, and if they don't, they find themselves in a load screen back to Stormhaven. Unfortunately, there is no group kick function in Battlegrounds (could be exploited too easily I guess) so PvPers don't have the luxury of getting rid of dead weight unless they run a premade.

99% of PvE skills are attainable from doing PvE. There are only these two that require a player to branch out and play outside of their comfort zone. And that's okay. It should take a bit of extra effort to get the BiS for your character. And don't forget, PvPers also have to farm dungeons for gear drops. And Dragonstar and vMA. All the while, PvP sets are BoE and easily found on the local merchant if anyone wants them. I don't think it's a terrible cross to bear for a PvE player to get their hands dirty and earn their Caltrops. And if you can't handle BGs, then join a zerg in Cyrodiil and you'll have it in one evening if you're lucky. You don't even need a group, just go around healing folks. Your presence will be appreciated, not scorned.

But if you end up taking 1 out of 4 spots in a very competitive match of Battlegrounds and ruining the game for the other 3 players, expect some resentment. Expect to get reported. That kind of entitled behavior is toxic and we are better than that. Whatever side you come from.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get decent AP now whether you win or lose, so why not throw on some cheap PVP gear and have fun with it?
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait so he was soaking ap and not doing anything else?

try it out
    getting killed does nothing but help you learn in this game
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait so he was soaking ap and not doing anything else?

try it out
    getting killed does nothing but help you learn in this game

That's exactly it. He had time to taunt us while he was in the spawn, so he had time to PvP. It's not like there are soul gem or repair costs. Just a bit of ego. ;P
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This problem won't ever go away unless ZoS finds a good way to detect players that are doing this and give them temporary bans from entering Battlegrounds. Skills like Caltrops and Vigor are just too useful for PvE and some players simply do not want any part of PvP.

I'm not going to lie, I absolutely dreaded the thought of having to level Assault to get caltrops, considering I don't do PvP... But now I'm a regular BG'r.
    I play this game a little bit I guess