Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

VERY new to ESO confused about names/chat contact

Frumpypigskin
Frumpypigskin
Soul Shriven
I know this is a very noobie question. So my character main IGN is Frumpypigskin, but I see where people have also the @whatevername. I see when people request a guild invite here on the boards they say they're contact is @whatevername? Is the @ name your like account name like for me bradinator19? I just a bit confused about the difference and can't seem to find a reference to it anywhere. A clarification is much appreciated!

Best Answer

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild Invites go to the User Name, so the account joins, not just the actice character. If you ever invite someone, you can use either the character or User Name, either one works.

By default, zone chat displays the Character name, whispers/tells display the User Name.
    Answer ✓
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that on console you have to use your GamerTag (Account name) rather than Character name, assuming thats the same on PC?
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

@AccountName is also known as UserID.

Anything without @ is a character name.
  • Frumpypigskin
    Frumpypigskin
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the clarification. So do things like Guild invites go to the UserID or the specific character? Likewise for things like chat /tells /whispers?
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The invites can go to either. I've sent guild invites to Climbs-Ropes-Faster and seen @RStover show up in the guild roster.

Not sure about the chat; if I want to send a whisper to answer someone in chat, I click on the name.
  • Frumpypigskin
    Frumpypigskin
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks all for the wisdom. It was disturbing my chi!
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild invites, mail, and tells can go to either @name or character name. On PC, zone, area and group chats show character name by default, and guild chats show @name. People often ask to be contacted by their @name so you can reach them no matter what character they're on. Of they swap toons and you try to whisper one of their other toons you'll get a "character not found" message.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche