The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Melee templar high elf, need help

Tukolp
Tukolp
Hello mates, would like to build a caracter like that, any suggestion how should I use it ? :)
Would like to ask for some guides :)

Thank you :)
  • Tukolp
    Tukolp
    What weapon, planning 2h or dw, gear, skills should I use.
    I'm new player so any info are welcome :)
  • Tukolp
    Tukolp
    Noone ? :(
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    This is a pretty huge and open ended question, so it isn't surprising that people haven't jumped on it.

A couple things to think about. If you are going with a stamina based build (judging from the weapons you mention), you will want the bow as well as your 2h or dual wield when you hit level 15 and unlock your second weapon/skill bar. The reason is that you may sometimes want to keep at range and hit things. Bow also gives you an AoE with duration that you can stand in while fighting enemies, a knockback if you need to run away from something, and a perk that increases your speed for a short time after doing a roll dodge with a bow equipped.

2H is good for mobility with a charge skill, has an execute, and gives you shields with the brawler morph of cleave and self healing eventually with momentum/rally. Dual wield has really good AoE, all skills do more damage in execute phase through perks. Things change with any major update, and since I'm not on the PTS, I'm not going to say for sure which you should pursue, though I expect dual wield/bow will continue to be the highest damage combination as you learn the game.

You can reset character (stat) and skill points for gold in any of the 3 alliance capital cities (Mournhold, Elden Root, Wayrest). If you are having trouble and want to try something else, it isn't too hard to do so. One thing you might consider as a newcomer to the game is being magicka based.

A magicka based templar is still going to be mostly melee. Your main skill will be Puncturing Sweep (morph of puncturing strike). Over time you will be standing in the AoE from your destro staff wall of elements, spear shards, and any other AoE you want to throw down while hitting them with a lance made out of a shaft of light. One draw to that style of play for a new player is that Puncturing Sweep heals you as you do damage. It is the first skill in one of your skill lines so you start right off with the basic (non-healing) form, and can soon morph it to heal you as you attack. Another positive for you would be that the Altmer passives are all focused on supporting magicka.

It is a huge game with a lot to learn. Good luck out there!
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tukolp wrote: »
    Hello mates, would like to build a caracter like that, any suggestion how should I use it ? :)
    Would like to ask for some guides :)

Thank you :)

First off pvp or pve?
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Tukolp
    Tukolp
    Hello there and thank you very much for the help,

So if I make a mag, then go breton or altmer, But if I want to play stam I should go for imperial, or redguard maybe.
    I realy wanted to make a class like paladins in wow, dealing high damage with spells, and have a 2hander equipped.
    Maybe in this case 2h and destro/esto staff?, or just resto+destro staff and thats it.

I also read about a set, Pelinals, that make my weapon-spell damage always from the highest stat, so maybe I can do this build, but how to figure it out ? And all of the nechants, ect have to add spell damage. For the crit I must have weapon crit and also spell crit, and with campion points, I have to put for mag pen and also a bit for physical pen.
    And also with pelinals I have two options go for full magicka, and get some weapon damage, or go stam, and I will get spell damage. So pelinals is a bit strange for me.

About PVP and PVE, I think both is the actual answer, and wanna do solo stuff, challenges, or something they are called, running solo dungeons, I read that templar is good for that.

So yes that would be my idea,
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tukolp wrote: »
    Hello there and thank you very much for the help,

So if I make a mag, then go breton or altmer, But if I want to play stam I should go for imperial, or redguard maybe.
    I realy wanted to make a class like paladins in wow, dealing high damage with spells, and have a 2hander equipped.
    Maybe in this case 2h and destro/esto staff?, or just resto+destro staff and thats it.

I also read about a set, Pelinals, that make my weapon-spell damage always from the highest stat, so maybe I can do this build, but how to figure it out ? And all of the nechants, ect have to add spell damage. For the crit I must have weapon crit and also spell crit, and with campion points, I have to put for mag pen and also a bit for physical pen.
    And also with pelinals I have two options go for full magicka, and get some weapon damage, or go stam, and I will get spell damage. So pelinals is a bit strange for me.

About PVP and PVE, I think both is the actual answer, and wanna do solo stuff, challenges, or something they are called, running solo dungeons, I read that templar is good for that.

So yes that would be my idea,

If you want a caster based magplar, you need to build around dark flare. You need to find sets that buff spell damage/max magicka only. I would recommend a offensive bar: javelin->vampires bane->dark flare-> radiant destruction->purifying light ult: soul assault. 2nd bar survival skills might be beneficial to have restro/light armor shield and/or mist form.

Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Eduard_Rodric
    Eduard_Rodric
    ✭✭✭
    You can try spend all points in magicka. But use Pelinal set to burst you weapon damage the same with you magic damage. Maybe it work.
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    The game mechanics are tough on mixing magicka abilities with stamina based weapons.

All weapons except staves use stamina. Not only do their abilities cost stamina, but their damage is based on your max stamina and they return stamina when you complete a heavy attack. Also, for the most part, their perks do nothing for magicka. In pvp, you may use 1H and Shield for survivability, or Dual Wield for the 5% damage boost from having 2 swords equipped in pve or pvp. Using stamina based weapons on a magicka character does change how you address sustain, because you basically never use weapon attacks. If you use staves, you get magicka back when you complete a heavy attack, so those can be woven in your rotation to keep you from running out of magicka if you are running low.

Armor is similar in that it matters what you wear, since the perks from each type of armor is tailored for a different effect. Heavy armor is primarily health/defense focused, medium armor is stamina/weapon damage focused, and light armor is magicka/magic damage focused.

Basically, there are 2 main ways to go if you aren't tanking. You can focus on stamina, which allows you to use the stamina based weapons effectively. Going that route, you will level class skill lines, but will only use class skills that have a stamina morph and/or that are good buff, debuff, or defensive abilities. You still level all class skill lines for the perks. Your primary skills will be from weapon skill lines. If you go with magicka, you will use more class skills, with staves being your primary weapons (due to being based on magicka). You can then add in 1H and Shield or Dual Wield if needed for your build and the type of activity you are doing.

Things change with major updates, and one is coming up. So far, characters have always been weaker if you try to split between the 2 damage types. That doesn't mean it is unplayable, but it will most likely make things harder for you. It is your character so give it a shot if you like. After all, you can change things whenever you want for some gold at the shrines.