The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood are tedious.

xeNNNNN
xeNNNNN
✭✭✭✭✭
I like the stories, Dark Brotherhood more than thieves guild arguably however I honest feel like ZoS should remove the quest requirements for doing the story, it inhibits fluidity of the story and honestly just still after all this time feels like a massive grind especially considering the repeatable quests are basically just Go to A, B or C. Kill or steal. Go back. Its very repetitive and boring.

Those who like it for role play reasons well they can still have it they can just do it by choice rather than being forced into it. As can the rest of the community.

But the restrictions should be removed. People will still do the repeatable too actually level the passive lines because some of the passives are kinda neat and fun still but the degree in which you need to run there and run back then go through several loading screens and then rinse and repeat is just tedious on a massive scale especially when it locks you out of quests until you've grinded through them.

Please ZoS remove the Story quest requirements. Let us do it when we want rather than being forced to grind out tedious crap that isn't fun.
Edited by xeNNNNN on May 8, 2018 3:12AM
Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont enjoy that method of not being able to continue the story quest either unless you grind side quests for guild points. Im not a RP person or a big story person. But i like to know whats going with one off quests as opposed to the " spam E until NPC gives quest" of dailies/repeatables.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tip - just cancel the dark brotherhood quests until you get the "killing spree" where you need to kill 3 people - it gives you 30 points and the others only 10 - if you focus on doing these, it goes quite fast...
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tip - just cancel the dark brotherhood quests until you get the "killing spree" where you need to kill 3 people - it gives you 30 points and the others only 10 - if you focus on doing these, it goes quite fast...

I am aware of that but I have been doing that as well for a while on multiple characters and its still tedious. Also it only gives 10. Not 30.

Single kills 5
    Completed black sacrament but failing some challenges; 10
    Completed black sacrament and completing challenges; 20
    Killing spree 10.

The only thing I find remotely fun on that list is The black sacraments and when you're trying to do a story play through of everything you're not going to wait 3-4 weeks just doing sacraments once a day.

I see no need or reason for the restrictions to be even remotely necessary. It made sense in the beginning to prevent people blazing through all the pve content (too justify the price) now not so much. its been out for a very long time now.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on May 8, 2018 4:07AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we just hand players a full skill line and all the perks (including better motif drops) ... without any effort?
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, leveling every guild is tedious. From the original ones, through DB and TG and the upcoming Psijiic. So I guess they are designed to be boring and tedious.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sacraments are truly tedious, imho.

that or, after four years, my patience with this game is wearing thin. :/
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Blade of Woe is such a fun mechanic.... And the fact that you can port to your house or inn room for free and then be ten steps from a wayshrine cuts doing Dark Sacrament times waaaay down....
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have the restrictions to pad out the length of the story. Make it feel like the dlc is longer than it is. If you could burn through it in one sitting you'd realize how little content there is for what you paid for. That's what keeps me from wanting to do it on multiple characters. I enjoyed the stories for TG and DB but felt tedious doing the repeatable quests until I got the right guild level. Sort of kills any momentum of the story when you have to stop the progress to raise your level another time or two.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I started a new character and bum rushed thru both the TG and DB within a week and didn't even hit 40 with him.

Didn't bother with the TG tip board very much as pickpocket sucks without maxing out the pickpocket passive in Legerdemain, just Spencer and Heists pretty much to level thru TG (did about 3 or so tip board quests, MAX). The TG levels up fairly quickly considering each of the main cast's side quests give 50 towards the skill line and you only need to get to 8 I believe to finish the MQ (unless you count Zera's final quest as the true ending, in which case 10 is max).

As for the DB, I like killing. I spammed that little book of death so many times and would barely need to leave Gold Coast as the vast majority of contracts I got were in Anvil or Kvatch (handful sent me to Stonefalls or Deshaan but nowhere very far that I couldn't just wayshrine to them in seconds). I finished that whole questline the first 2 days of starting the character and did the Litany of Blood as an extracurricular after the fact.

You want a tedious grind, get to Grand Warlord in PvP, because the TG and DB are hardly tedious.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on May 8, 2018 7:10AM
    Argonian forever
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quests are more or less ok. One quest you get from DB is stupid, and that is killing spree. Rest is not bad at all. Story in both guilds is not amazing as in some of TES single player games, but compared to some quests in ESO, its ok.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't really call it a grind, you only have to do a handful of quests to continue on in the story.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have a problem with either of them. Both went pretty fast for me.

Read the paper "Kari's Hit List" for Thieves Guild and the book "Litany of Blood" for Dark Brotherhood once you are able to.

Those provided a nice fat little chunk.
    Edited by Aesthier on May 8, 2018 9:21AM
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree. grind dailies should not be needed to progress the DLC stories.
    PC
  • laurajf
    laurajf
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I still haven't finished either main story, and I've had them both since they came out. I just haven't had any urge to go back to either one. Every now and then I go do a couple things and then don't visit again for months. In the meantime, I finished both Morrowind and Clockwork and will probably finish Summerset before ever finishing those other two.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lylith wrote: »
    sacraments are truly tedious, imho.

that or, after four years, my patience with this game is wearing thin. :/
    Sacraments are easy compared to the TG ones, you can have 4 discoveries and timer only start then you redraw.
    Found I could just run with night mother gaze and kill the touch guys on the way out
    On the other hand the heists always give motif if within time.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a new character and bum rushed thru both the TG and DB within a week and didn't even hit 40 with him.

Didn't bother with the TG tip board very much as pickpocket sucks without maxing out the pickpocket passive in Legerdemain, just Spencer and Heists pretty much to level thru TG (did about 3 or so tip board quests, MAX). The TG levels up fairly quickly considering each of the main cast's side quests give 50 towards the skill line and you only need to get to 8 I believe to finish the MQ (unless you count Zera's final quest as the true ending, in which case 10 is max).

As for the DB, I like killing. I spammed that little book of death so many times and would barely need to leave Gold Coast as the vast majority of contracts I got were in Anvil or Kvatch (handful sent me to Stonefalls or Deshaan but nowhere very far that I couldn't just wayshrine to them in seconds). I finished that whole questline the first 2 days of starting the character and did the Litany of Blood as an extracurricular after the fact.

You want a tedious grind, get to Grand Warlord in PvP, because the TG and DB are hardly tedious.

as much as I love the comparison of what a grind is, GW/GO is not suprising as PvP has very little content which is a stark contrast from PvE. I do know that pain having a rank 32 bombblade and then looking at my next rank progessively increase in gains needed by over 500k.

I wouldn't care nearly as much if it wasnt for the fact that if you are not a nightblade then TG and DB sucks. being a nightblade makes everything much easier everyone else just has invis pots which are on a CD like every other pot.

Yeah I am aware that you can level them fast(ish) but fast is a relative term and depends on how much time you have to play. I still see no need for the story quests to be restricted.

At least with the mages guild and fighters guild you've usually leveled those while going from 1-50 and with both its just a 1 way street you just keep going forward with TG and DB you go forward then back then forward again and then back etc etc. After doing it on 3 characters I am sick to death of it.

should also note that at least the mages guild and fighters guild wasnt locked behind actually leveling the skill line it was or well one mission per region. Which frankly was fine.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on May 8, 2018 3:23PM
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's tedious, don't do it. This is a game, not work.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Should we just hand players a full skill line and all the perks (including better motif drops) ... without any effort?

Why is this the alternative? Just untie the main questline from skill line advancement. Voila! Now you can advance the story without tedium, but still have to work for the skills!
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am fine with leveling the skills, but the worst part of it is the fact the questline itself is locked behind skill ups. Its feels like a pain for alts to get the skill points from the quests when you have to grind out a skill you will never use otherwise.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭

errr no thats not what I was suggesting, What I was suggesting was removing the restriction of the main story quests of the skill line from having to grind repeatables out.

You get no motiffs from it and it doesnt max out the skill line just doing the story quests so people would still need to grind for the passives so there would still be effort required.

Next time read my post properly please.

Also you wanna talk about handing out motiffs with no effort? You suppose killing a squishy delve boss in TG delves is supposedly effort? Pfft.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What?
    Tedious goes with the sneek'em up territory, surely?

They are not that bad at all, compared to Undaunted or Bookclub!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i understand the quest being locked behind guild reputation, and i understand that you need to do 1-2 daily quests to get among them, even maybe 3-4. But at some point, you need to do 7+ quests to advance the skill line.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    What?
    Tedious goes with the sneek'em up territory, surely?

They are not that bad at all, compared to Undaunted or Bookclub!

"bookclub" as you call it just requires you too run around for maybe 30 minutes if you know what your doing an hour at most.

Undaunted is actually fine because you can do that with friends and have fun doing it.

Neither require you too do them to progess the story of the those guilds and in fact undaunted doesnt even have a story.

There is nothing fun about going to A getting a loading screen killing or stealing stuff going back to B with a loading screen, then entering the sub location in B with another loading screen then leaving with another loading screen and doing the same again over and over and over and over and over until your blue in the face.

I mean 5. 5 exp out of the early amount of 50. Meaning if you were going too do the bounty board you would litterally have to do it 10 times per level assuming it stayed at 50 which it doesnt.

Same with the DB single kill quest.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on May 8, 2018 3:41PM
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    To be fair, leveling every guild is tedious. From the original ones, through DB and TG and the upcoming Psijiic. So I guess they are designed to be boring and tedious.

Only fighters guild is not tedious. Only FG quests & rewards are well thought . Rest all is pain.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rawkan wrote: »

Excellent suggestion. One more suggestion . "Dont buy the game"

Please go and troll somewhere.
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent suggestion. One more suggestion . "Dont buy the game"

Please go and troll somewhere.

Well yes, if the game is tedious then don't play it. I wouldn't.

Calling people you don't agree with "trolls" won't help your argument.
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think that they are boring grinds, wait for psijic. It is MUCH worse.
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Complaining about grinding in an MMO is pretty pointless. There's pretty of games out there with no grind and constant action. MMO's need grinds to retain playerbase.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Complaining about grinding in an MMO is pretty pointless. There's pretty of games out there with no grind and constant action. MMO's need grinds to retain playerbase.

Thats true and grinds for gear im fine with grinds for passives im fine with. Locking story behind grinds just to make it seem longer is stupid and I highly doubt the TG and DB are the things retaining the player base at this point.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quest requirements? I wasn't aware there were any?

I did both DB and TG side by side, as they compliment each other very well. I recall not a single time I had to wait for the main line to advance.

I don't recall the total time from start to finish, but I know it was not long at all compared to some other content / skill lines.

If you're not occasionally killing as your stealing, if you're not stealing as you're killing, I'd dare say you're doing it wrong.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS