The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

So, about Cropsford

Bruccius
Bruccius
✭✭✭✭✭
So, since this is the lore channel, I think these kind of posts are allowed? If not, that's unfortunate.

Anyway, for the topic, Cropsford made its first appearance in the franchise in TES IV: Oblivion, set in the Third Era, way after the events of ESO. Some people claim that for this reason, ESO's appearance of Cropsford is lore-breaking.

I think this reasoning is poor. For example, in TES V: Skyrim, both the towns of Rorikstead and Riverwood would be lorebreaking if we use that same logic. Riverwood appeared in TES: Arena, set in the Third Era, yet Riverwood is said to have been built a few generations ago from 4E 201, which is in no way during the Third Era. Rorikstead is said to have been constructed by Rorik after the Great War of 4E 171, yet it also existed during previous eras, as is proven in ''Holdings of Jarl Gjalund'' in TES V.

For this reason, I personally believe that Cropsford appearing in ESO is not lorebreaking. Rather, it shows that Cropsford existed in the Second Era, got destroyed for whatever reason, and then rebuilt in the Third. This would also explain why some other towns (such as Vlastarus) did not appear at a later point in history, because they were simply destroyed and never rebuilt.

Does this sound reasonable?
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ve stopped caring about lore in eso when I realized no tes game before had any mention of crown crates. Not even a single mention in the books of the First Edition in Imperial City, the Elder Scrolls and the College of Winterhold.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • Theryl
    Theryl
    ✭✭✭
    The arguments that Cropsford is somehow "lorebreaking" are more than a little silly for a couple of reasons. First, as you noted, human settlements appear and disappear because of war, climate change, population shifts, etc. Secondly, the in game maps are models at different scales, depending on the game. Since a game map can not show the entirety of the "real" Tamriel, things get left out, depending on game design and the story that a game is telling. The fact that a village does not appear on a map does not imply its non-existence.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the residents of Cropsford in ESO was a great ancestor of one of the builders of Cropsford in Oblivion so thats how they got the name... is my headcannon
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    One of the residents of Cropsford in ESO was a great ancestor of one of the builders of Cropsford in Oblivion so thats how they got the name... is my headcannon

I've never got much of a chance to really stick much time into ESO's Cropsford, primarily due to getting ganked by PvP players.

Could you give me his name?
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I treat Cropsford more as an easter egg or nod to Oblivion than an actual named place that contradicts ES lore. I dont think every bit of lore needs to be treated as this holy thing we need to protect. Its okay to bend and even break the lore as long as it doesnt shatter the suspension of disbelief.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bruccius wrote: »

I've never got much of a chance to really stick much time into ESO's Cropsford, primarily due to getting ganked by PvP players.

@Bruccius Headcannon means its what a person believes to be true. Doesnt necessarily means it happened in the lore. Sorry for the late reply
    Edited by Ankael07 on May 8, 2018 5:12AM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruccius Headcannon means its what a person believes to be true. Doesnt necessarily means it happened in the lore. Sorry for the late reply

Ahh, I misinterpet your first comment, missed the headcanon part. Oh well, it sounds reasonable, thanks for the explanation.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Headcannon is often the intersection of lore and logic. Making sense of unfilled holes tho ;)