Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I want to throw in the towel... Frustration. Please read, as title is misleading.

bilbobaggins30
bilbobaggins30
Soul Shriven
I am reaching out to you guys, for good reasons.

I literally don't want to do vMA. I am tired of hearing about how vMA weapons for DPS are Best in Slot, I get it.

I have no desire to do vMA. I honestly believe that vMA deserves a rebalance.

I have been told time and time again vMA is mostly mechanics, mostly self preservation, and a CP challenge.

I have tried on the PTS to do it on many characters in perfect gear, perfect CP. Not getting anywhere.

I have no desire in mind to do vMA, yet I feel the pressure to do this content that I don't want to, simply to grind it over and over for a weapon that may or may not drop.

I made a MagSorc with vMA in mind, and TBH, I absolutely hate it.

Yet, I cannot decide what class is going to shine in Summerset, and no one has anything firmed up. I have no clue what class will shine without a vMA weapon.

Truth is, as long as I can get into Vet Trials, and Vet Content without a vMA staff, I don't EVER intend to push leaderboards.

I am making my MagSorc into my crafter, scrapping it for all time. Done with it, I have no sustain, and its not fun.

I need a new class. Requirements:

1. DPS
2. Build that will survive Summerset changes, WITHOUT THE vMA Weapon!
3. SUSTAIN! Needs to during a normal rotation be able to keep its resources well, otherwise, my rotation will be... Well screwed up.

Yes I get it, Light Attacks in Summerset are going to be king, blah, blah, blah. But what good is a Light Attack rotation when you cannot sustain it?

May I add on a 4th requirement: Fun. MagSorcs are not fun. Mag Sorcs with pets are atrocious, and MagSorcs with the Asylum Staff rotation cannot sustain it.

Thanks for all of your help! I am about ready to throw in the towel, and find a new game, just because I am frustrated chasing something that I don't want to do, and its taken me a while to realize it.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka NB my friend, best sustain, dps and rotation of all magicka classes.

With Summerset the effectiveness of vMA weapons gets reduced because 2h weapons will count as 2 set pieces.

You can run something like Acuity, BSW and Zaan/Skoria. Its even possible to run a 2pc willpower staff on the back bar so you can control the Acuity proc better.

The vMA staff will only deal around 3k dps so its possible to pull good numbers without it.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina sorcer either redguard or orc (actually prefer orc for vMA for the damage and speed boost), and wear VO and hundings rage. With hurricane and crit surge I don’t think there’s a more suiteable class. People say magicka is the best I don’t agree. Stam Sorc is where it’s at.
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    What is vMA weapons?
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is vMA weapons?

Relics of an ancient era, where men were men and.......some orc females were also men...wearing wedding dresses.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are doing vet trials, with the same group of people all the time, you absolutely do not need BiS gear. You can complete all content just fine with around 25k DPS. You are overthinking it.

Also, magsorcs are a lot of fun. Nothing like having three pets, scamp, maw and the lightning atro on a boss at the same time.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 7, 2018 5:40AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can easy make 25-30k without it. If the root cause is a trials group saying you have to have it - find anothe trials group.

That's the root cause if your problem (sadly trials groups can be fussy / elitist / click more often than not)

VMA is very good content. But you are approaching it wrong, want to do it to be a better player. For the challenge, to enjoy it. The weopon is just a bonus. Embrace it or it will do your nut in.

Secondly. It IS a build test. You need survival, positioning, awareness etc. You dont even need good DPS as good burst is enough, but better DPS disease mechanics.

Give more details :
    What level are you stuck on, we can help
    What is your build?
    How are you healing? MagSorc you must have power surge uo and constant overlapping AOE.

Lastly, and ill be blunt. If you cant do vMA you shouldn't be thinking about Vet Trials. Honestly its a good test for all end game content.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am reaching out to you guys, for good reasons.

I literally don't want to do vMA. I am tired of hearing about how vMA weapons for DPS are Best in Slot, I get it.

I have no desire to do vMA. I honestly believe that vMA deserves a rebalance.

I have been told time and time again vMA is mostly mechanics, mostly self preservation, and a CP challenge.

I have tried on the PTS to do it on many characters in perfect gear, perfect CP. Not getting anywhere.

I have no desire in mind to do vMA, yet I feel the pressure to do this content that I don't want to, simply to grind it over and over for a weapon that may or may not drop.

I made a MagSorc with vMA in mind, and TBH, I absolutely hate it.

Yet, I cannot decide what class is going to shine in Summerset, and no one has anything firmed up. I have no clue what class will shine without a vMA weapon.

Truth is, as long as I can get into Vet Trials, and Vet Content without a vMA staff, I don't EVER intend to push leaderboards.

I am making my MagSorc into my crafter, scrapping it for all time. Done with it, I have no sustain, and its not fun.

I need a new class. Requirements:

1. DPS
    2. Build that will survive Summerset changes, WITHOUT THE vMA Weapon!
    3. SUSTAIN! Needs to during a normal rotation be able to keep its resources well, otherwise, my rotation will be... Well screwed up.

Yes I get it, Light Attacks in Summerset are going to be king, blah, blah, blah. But what good is a Light Attack rotation when you cannot sustain it?

May I add on a 4th requirement: Fun. MagSorcs are not fun. Mag Sorcs with pets are atrocious, and MagSorcs with the Asylum Staff rotation cannot sustain it.

Thanks for all of your help! I am about ready to throw in the towel, and find a new game, just because I am frustrated chasing something that I don't want to do, and its taken me a while to realize it.

DQoae.gif
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you should only do VMA if you really WANT to do it, it's sucky enough without feeling forced into it. You don't need the staff really and with the changes it will be less effective as I understand it. I know many online guides recommend having it, but they will usually recommend alternatives too. And I've managed Vet Trials (just) without one since I haven't completed VMA either :smile:
    PC EU & NA
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Msa weapons wont have less impact with summerset. The bow and the fire/lightning staves will still be the core of everyones backbar. The difference which comes with summerset is, that everyone will have a complete 5/5/2 setup on the frontbar, while backbar msa bow or staff will be bis.

So my advice for you: do it if you want to get to the highest achievable numbers. If you dont want that, screw it and move on.
    Edited by Checkmath on May 8, 2018 7:18AM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you belong to a very competitive guild or group for no other reason than just to be so competitive to be on the top spots of the leaders board and requires your members to have no less than 35k or 40k dps, then you'll be fine without the likes of Maelstrom, Master or any other trial gears. Those are nice to have, but not a need to have.. and l'm not knocking those or discouraging anyone from doing those endgame contents or being good at those. However, to enjoy ESO and go through any contents, PvE or PvP, you'll still be fine with the many craftable sets and other dropped items in the vast and expanded land of ESO.

Shacklebreaker, MA, Innate A, Spriggins, Red Mountains, Julianos, Necro, Overwhelming, etc.. The list goes on and on, and with the right sets build/combo, skillsets, rotations, and CP allocations, regular game gears/setup can be as formidable as those fancy weapons and gear. Going over 2 years now and, aside from trials, l have soloed practically every PvE land contents just fine without the likes of Maelstrom or Master and enjoyed the game just fine.

Likewise, l have killed many Flawless C titled dudes and Grand Overlord just fine many times over in 1vX and died by them all the same just fine. Many others are likely the same. Not knocking them, and l'm sure anyone had gone through vMA without dying have surely put in commendable time and efforts and have proven themselves, but there is really no need to frustrate yourself over not having a Maelstrom or Master weapon.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry.. 2h/bow stamsorc with Shackleb and Sword Singer and you'll be allright, my friend. Nothing more satisfying then Hurricane up, pommeling targets with heavy attack/Dizzy Swing combo. Add on the rain of death of Endless Hail, spice things up with Caltrops and Brawler and add a bit of splash from the Liquid L and Poison Injection.. oh, this class and toon is so satisfying. Want more kick to it, then tap up Power Surge or Rally/Forward Mom. Try it out, if you haven't. Oh yeah, the thump sound before the sonic boom from the Ice Comet. Damn, better than sex (well.. depends.. ha ha)
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the key is to stop listening to what others are saying you SHOULD do, and just start doing what you WANT to do to have fun.

I'm at best a slightly above average player. I doubt I'll ever reach 30K on a dummy, but I can hold my own in vet dungeons. I made it through nMA ok, but failed miserably at vMA. I doubt I'll ever make it to any hard mode content. Elitists tell me my problem is I just suck. I nod my head and smile. I don't really care what they think. I still work at optimizing my builds, weapons, enchants, potions, attributes, CP allocation, and skills with what sucky talent I have...and find plenty of challenging and enjoyable content with my guild buddies. Me and my crafted gear, weapons, and monster setups are doing just fine. :smile:
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find mag sorc really boring too. I know others love it...I just don’t like it for tough content, so I know where you’re coming from.

I play vmsa on my magplar because I find it more fun for my playstyle.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH Runa would be quite sexy in that Nordic Bather's Towel, jumping and smashing all those islands <3
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • SillyPlay
    SillyPlay
    ✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Stamina sorcer either redguard or orc (actually prefer orc for vMA for the damage and speed boost), and wear VO and hundings rage. With hurricane and crit surge I don’t think there’s a more suiteable class. People say magicka is the best I don’t agree. Stam Sorc is where it’s at.

This. Was stuck at final boss till I made a Stam sorc. I find that way easier and I didn't even have VO the first time I completed it. Used hundings, automaton. Found it way easier with surge plus vigor compared to magsorc
  • crooksy80
    crooksy80

With Summerset the effectiveness of vMA weapons gets reduced because 2h weapons will count as 2 set pieces.

You can run something like Acuity, BSW and Zaan/Skoria. Its even possible to run a 2pc willpower staff on the back bar so you can control the Acuity proc better.

The vMA staff will only deal around 3k dps so its possible to pull good numbers without it.

I agree, but good luck hunting down bsw weapon
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is vMA weapons?

Relics of an ancient era, where men were men and.......some orc females were also men...wearing wedding dresses.
    I've always said the only thing that determines gender there is who wins the arm wrestling contest...

On a more serious note:

OP, don't run vMA for the weapons.

Don't run vMA because other people tell you you need to.

Run vMA (I'm gonna cringe a little myself here) because you want to.

Take it a bite at a time, pick up the quest so you can pick up where you leave off (Stage wise, anyway), and it will eventually "click."

There are several awesome guides and builds out there, and I'm sure there are plenty of people that would help give tips and tricks for your particular playstyle or difficulties.

But don't do it for any other reason than yourself, or you'll just end up despising it, even after you get your clear.

Best of luck, and do it on your timetable, not anyone else's.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on May 17, 2018 8:55PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 14 characters and never ever finished vMA. Still I create unique (in my way of thinking) builds without vMA weapons and I'm happy with their efficiency and fun I get from playing. OP stop caring about vMA and play your way without it :).
    Edited by Gargath on May 20, 2018 9:43AM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So uhm...did you beat it yet? Here I am pushing my craptastic guide.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/411984/kyle-s-stamina-maelstrom-builds-for-beginners#latest

I don’t give a rap about beating on that dummy or vet trials either really. I want to be a better player. Actually I did the vet trials thing for awhile. It feels mildly rewarding.

Maelstrom still feels like an accomplishment every time I beat it. I can’t say that about HelRa anymore. Sanctum is straight garbage and no one even wants to run it. AA is a test to see if your group is mentally challenged or not. Can’t even get anyone to step foot into VMOL, and the new trials are pointless to run on vet if you’re not going to do +1 or 2

Maelstrom will undoubtably make you a better player. No need to be hostile towards it. I was stuck in there forever.

Once you do learn it, going back gets easier and easier. Because, now you know things.

I’ve no idea why so many people think magic toons are so much better.

You’ll never push leaderboards on a sorc. There’s too many great players on it. Any other class is up for grabs.

• Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭

Join the Brotherhood of Mageblades, the master classassin. You won't be disappointed. :)
  • simple_specops
    simple_specops
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the pain, I got frustrated upset cried and broke a controller trying to do vma, and I gave up, quit the game and didn't play for 6 months, then I got back into it read a lot about it and watched videos of people doing it, I read here a guide of Joy division and wad rally rally helpful, got back there with my magic nb and somehow managed to get to the theater of despair (probably the most accurate name in the game) stayed there for about a month till I said to my self well I'm going to do this and 6 hours later I was stromproof, mind you I'm nothing like alcast Andy s herbales or Oscar flip, I'm just an average player I pull 27k dps on a very good day and still managed to put my self in the weekly leaderboard, just by trying hard and memorize how to watching the videos of my fails and learn where things were and all, when to grab a sigil, if o did it everyone can, it's just a matter of how hard you try and how stubborn you are.