The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Could more abilities be interruptible/blocked?

Mataata
Mataata
✭✭✭
Coming from playing PvE, it's really pretty jarring how useless bashing and blocking in PvP is. It would be a huge consistency aid if abilities that have noticeable windups (wrecking blow, 2h execute, talons, mage's fury, destructive clench, etc) could be interrupted, and said abilities that are melee could apply off-balance when blocked.

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but it's really odd how PvE encourages patient parrying while PvP encourages blasting away with reckless abandon. It would help a lot of people who dislike PvP as-is become more interested in it if it had more mid-range/melee fights that aren't resolved in seconds.
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!
i also do art and stuff i guess, here's my twitter
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocking is extremely useful in PvP. As far as bashing goes, if it were as widely usable in PvP as you suggest, it would render most melee builds useless. I think it makes sense for it to be a more occasional tool.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mataata wrote: »
    I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but it's really odd how PvE encourages patient parrying while PvP encourages blasting away with reckless abandon. It would help a lot of people who dislike PvP as-is become more interested in it if it had more mid-range/melee fights that aren't resolved in seconds.

PvP also encourages patient parrying, it's just you actually have to be responsive to a live opponent instead of a predictable telegraph.

...and if you actually use the defensive mechanics appropriately and responsively, mid-range and melee fights aren't resolved in seconds.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocking, as mentioned before, is extremely useful in PvP. Bashing seems to be almost specifically used for interrupting Radiant or trying to bash a Dark Deal. Other than that, I don't see it all too much.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do wish more abilities were bashable. We’d have to give them more damage though, to balance. It would add more strategy to the game IMO.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Mataata
    Mataata
    ✭✭✭

PvP also encourages patient parrying, it's just you actually have to be responsive to a live opponent instead of a predictable telegraph.

...and if you actually use the defensive mechanics appropriately and responsively, mid-range and melee fights aren't resolved in seconds.

I have a hard time understanding this, because all blocking a heavy hitting attack does is reduce the damage and prevent you from being stunned in some cases. There's nothing to stop people who get up close and personal, because if you block an attack they'll just use it again and again while you're unable to do much about it. If you stop blocking to retaliate, they'll get to deal full damage and will typically finish you right there.
    I'd go as far as to say blocking often gets me in even worse situations because of the heavy stamina/magicka cost and extremely reduced speed. Often I have no more stamina left to run away or fight back at all.
    Edited by Mataata on May 4, 2018 10:57PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a hard time understanding this, because all blocking a heavy hitting attack does is reduce the damage and prevent you from being stunned in some cases. There's nothing to stop people who get up close and personal, because if you block an attack they'll just use it again and again while you're unable to do much about it. If you stop blocking to retaliate, they'll get to deal full damage and will typically finish you right there.
    I'd go as far as to say blocking often gets me in even worse situations because of the heavy stamina/magicka cost and extremely reduced speed. Often I have no more stamina left to run away or fight back at all.

This is why you can use skills while blocking...
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashing can actually be very useful in PvP. It can be used in a rapid attack as additional damage and animation cancelling (light attack-ability-bash). It can also interrupt a lot of healing/defensive spells and thus help take down tanks (rev bash-bash- bash- ability etc). While Perma blocking is useless in pvp, situational blocking is critical and can save you. With proper mobility plus the full range of defensive techniques you can survive quite a while and fights can be quite long. But,you will still die all the time and even slight mistakes are rapidly fatal
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you can interrupt everything a templar has to cast except jabs/ sweeps. Personally I wish they'd revert their change to interrupting and just give us immunity for a bash without the CC effect. I'd cancel my dark flare but not stun me, also giving me CC immunity. Not able to interrupt until immunity was up. Also to add some damn consistency, let's make every cast time interuptable. Including all heavies and stamina cast times
  • Mataata
    Mataata
    ✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Yeah you can interrupt everything a templar has to cast except jabs/ sweeps. Personally I wish they'd revert their change to interrupting and just give us immunity for a bash without the CC effect. I'd cancel my dark flare but not stun me, also giving me CC immunity. Not able to interrupt until immunity was up. Also to add some damn consistency, let's make every cast time interuptable. Including all heavies and stamina cast times

It's really just consistency that I want. I think if more things were bashable it would be a fair trade if they didn't have a big stun afterwards, just the stagger and cancel.