Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

Why this price jump?

• Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    @Nestor That first image is not a koala. That is a drop bear. You need to be incredibly careful when treading in their territory.

When you google "wet ugly koala" that is what you get.

"angry koala" works too.

If google says it's a koala that I'm going to have to side with google. :p
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was already a thread about this. Aussies always pay more for everything. Id blame much of that on your government. So here is how it works:

1) Aussies pay a 10% GST imposed by your government on all digital merchandise. So that adds $3.98AUD buy itself.

Goods and services under AU$1,000 purchased overseas do not attract GST. That will change 1 July, 2018.

That is incorrect, i mean unless ATO is wrong, they probably arent though.

No, it's not incorrect. That change was meant to come into effect 1 July 2017 but the Senate pushed it back a year. Right now any Australian who purchases any good or service overseas under AU$1,000 is not liable for GST.

No, it's correct.

Australian goods and services tax (GST) applies to sales of imported services and digital products to Australian consumers.

Overseas businesses that meet the A$75,000 registration threshold will need to:

register for GST
    charge GST on sales of imported services and digital products (unless those services or products are GST-free)
    lodge returns to the ATO.
    Merchants who sell services or digital products or electronic distribution platform operators who facilitate these sales should consider whether they need to register for GST.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-imported-services-and-digital-products/

And from the link that @Anotherone773 provided
    If you buy imported services or digital products from overseas you may be charged GST.

Suppliers (generally with an annual Australian turnover of $75,000 or more) will:

charge Australian consumers the Australian GST rate – 10%, and
    pay that GST to the ATO.
    Examples of imported services and digital products
    Examples of imported digital products include:

video streaming services
    online subscriptions
    digital books, movies and games
    virtual goods and currency for apps and online games.
    Examples of other imported services include:

online legal services
    design jobs.

You are wrong. You have been proven wrong before and you still spout this nonsense. ZOS is clearly making over AUD$75k in a 12 month period from sales of the game and any online services such as crowns and ESO+. Therefore under Australian Tax laws that came into effect on July 1, 2017, they have to charge GST on anything they sell if the origin of the purchase is within Australia.

If I am wrong then the ATO is wrong because I cited the ATO. If it is nonsense then the ATO is spouting nonsense. Of course, if the ATO is not wrong then neither am I. Make your mind up. Oh, and if ZoS are charging us GST they are required by law to show it explicitly.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Geekgirl
    Geekgirl
    ✭✭✭
    @Nestor That first image is not a koala. That is a drop bear. You need to be incredibly careful when treading in their territory.

Drop bears are nothing to mess with.
    PC/NA - Perpetually casual. Furniture and fish collector. Lover of exploration and opener of urns.
    Maxed CPs, still no clue how to endgame, too much time opening urns, prolly.
    Eve Morrison - Templar DPS - Furniture Crafter/Maker of Arms - Co-op w/hubby/achievements/crafting
    Jilly Narraway - MagDK DPS - Delves/Dungeons/Dolmans - She murders ALL THE THINGS!
    Fynn the Lucky - Warden Tank -- Seer of things/Explorer of places - RP/Solo/Storyline/Completionist
    Siluna Southpaw - StamDK DPS slippery-fingered type/Murder hobo - RP/Solo/Storyline
  • Grendel_at_ESO
    Grendel_at_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You never pay what the base exchange rate is, there's always added fees. It's always been that way.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kalante wrote: »
    LOL australians always getting shafted. The first original meme.

"The Federal Parliament has passed law that will extend goods and services tax (GST) to low value imports of physical goods imported by consumers from 1 July 2018."

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-legislation/In-detail/Indirect-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

"Imported goods below AU$1,000 are not currently subject to Australian import GST, however, the Australian Government announced in the 2016-17 Budget that from 1 July 2017, GST would be applied to imports of goods under AU$1,000 made by Australian consumers. This has now been postponed until 1 July 2018."

http://www.greenwichco.com.au/gst-imports-new-rules-goods-1000/

From your own source( top link):
    "The Federal Parliament has passed law that will extend goods and services tax (GST) to low value imports of physical goods imported by consumers from 1 July 2018.

Businesses that meet the A$75,000 registration threshold will need to take action now to review their business systems to ensure that they are able to comply.

The existing processes to collect GST on imports above $1,000 at the border are unchanged."

The bolded portion is the important part. Digital is not physical. If paying a bit extra for a video game is such a big deal to you, then you might want to rethink your financial situation and gaming situation both.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Was already a thread about this. Aussies always pay more for everything. Id blame much of that on your government. So here is how it works:

1) Aussies pay a 10% GST imposed by your government on all digital merchandise. So that adds $3.98AUD buy itself.

Goods and services under AU$1,000 purchased overseas do not attract GST. That will change 1 July, 2018.

No, it's not incorrect. That change was meant to come into effect 1 July 2017 but the Senate pushed it back a year. Right now any Australian who purchases any good or service overseas under AU$1,000 is not liable for GST.

No, it's correct.

Australian goods and services tax (GST) applies to sales of imported services and digital products to Australian consumers.

register for GST
    charge GST on sales of imported services and digital products (unless those services or products are GST-free)
    Merchants who sell services or digital products or electronic distribution platform operators who facilitate these sales should consider whether they need to register for GST.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-imported-services-and-digital-products/

If you buy imported services or digital products from overseas you may be charged GST.

Suppliers (generally with an annual Australian turnover of $75,000 or more) will:

pay that GST to the ATO.

video streaming services
    online subscriptions

online legal services
    design jobs.

You are wrong. You have been proven wrong before and you still spout this nonsense. ZOS is clearly making over AUD$75k in a 12 month period from sales of the game and any online services such as crowns and ESO+. Therefore under Australian Tax laws that came into effect on July 1, 2017, they have to charge GST on anything they sell if the origin of the purchase is within Australia.

If I am wrong then the ATO is wrong because I cited the ATO. If it is nonsense then the ATO is spouting nonsense. Of course, if the ATO is not wrong then neither am I. Make your mind up. Oh, and if ZoS are charging us GST they are required by law to show it explicitly.

Your not wrong because the ATO is wrong. Your wrong because you dont understand the legal and technical language used by your( or any) government. US people have the same problem with our tax system or really any system that is part of the government. That is what lawyers/attorneys/solicitors/whatever you call them are for.

And i assure you that Zenimax has an army of legal professionals to make sure they comply with the laws and business practices of every country they do business in.

• jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone so I am a Aussie thinking of getting the new chapter. So I went to the page and found the price shown below.

0EufIPE.png

however when I go to click "pre purchase now" I get given this price as shown below.

thY6qsM.png

So I figured the $29.99 was USD and the $44.95 is AUD right?

well...

4aIUr9o.png

So I am wondering why I am being told I need to spend $5.09 more than I should.

Hopefully I have just done something wrong and its closer to $40AUD like it says in the converter.. because even at $40 I am eh feeling.

Remember aus taxes the hell out of games as well. My friend in aus has to pay 70-80 USD for a 60usd game
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkillzMFG wrote: »
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Still cheaper here than steam or any resellers... I could not find a cheaper copy than that official ESO price...

Its insane and retail $89.95 up...

What the royal $&#@..

You just haven't looked hard enough...

Well i tried steam EB games JB hifi Greenmangaming Fanatical and CDkeys how many is not enough..
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone so I am a Aussie thinking of getting the new chapter. So I went to the page and found the price shown below.

0EufIPE.png

however when I go to click "pre purchase now" I get given this price as shown below.

thY6qsM.png

well...

4aIUr9o.png

Hopefully I have just done something wrong and its closer to $40AUD like it says in the converter.. because even at $40 I am eh feeling.

Step one: check your govt taxes
    Step two: no need, see step one
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Geekgirl wrote: »

Drop bears are nothing to mess with.

Indubitably!
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK Australians pay more than folks in the US for pretty much everything - the explanation I've seen is that the US is a far larger and more important market so generally they get a better deal.

Unit prices in Australia have to be higher to make things work commercially or, you know, blah blah.

Could be that Australians can just get stuck with higher prices and won't complain enough about it to be listened to :smile:
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's correct.

register for GST

pay that GST to the ATO.

video streaming services
    online subscriptions

online legal services
    design jobs.

If they are charging it, then they are collecting it on behalf of the Australian Government and it need to send it the Receiver of Public Monies at the Department of Finance
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's ok to rip us off.

So you are saying Zenimax is ripping you off? Like come on. I have been reading this for over 20 years now. I am not saying it's right, but this has been going on for ages in all categories of sales. Music, movies, software, electronics, what ever.

It is just not Zenimax doing, for what ever reason, your government is allowing it.

Sheesh some people act like this just started. It's been going on for decades.

Just curious. Are you and the original poster wiling to take the US minimum wage? Isn't the Australian minimum wage $20? So you are complaining about $5? I guess you will be singing a different toon if you were making American wages that are a lot lower than why you are making.
    Edited by Davor on March 29, 2019 6:01AM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »

0EufIPE.png

thY6qsM.png

well...

4aIUr9o.png

Remember aus taxes the hell out of games as well. My friend in aus has to pay 70-80 USD for a 60usd game

No. That's not tax. Its the result of the exchange rate. 60*1.4= 84.
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're paying off the United States debt via tariff. And you're paying for their aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines and ICBMs and tanks and bombs ect. because Vertical integration and Economies of Scale and such. There's probably an eminent domain tax in their on the American fiber op you're using.
    Edited by Ruckly on March 29, 2019 7:05AM
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruckly wrote: »
    You're paying off the United States debt via tariff. And you're paying for their aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines and ICBMs and tanks and bombs ect. because Vertical integration and Economies of Scale and such. There's probably an eminent domain tax in their on the American fiber op you're using.

Recalcitrance is an art.
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ruckly wrote: »

Recalcitrance is an art.

Is that a jest at libertarianism?
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have closed this thread as it has just recently resurfaced. Old threads may contain out of date information that can cause confusion when they turn up on the front page. If you feel this topic warrants further discussion feel free to create a new thread on the topic.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.