The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Altmer on Alinor, kinsman or outlander?

Dellarie
Dellarie
✭✭
I was wondering if us altmer-PC will receive a special treatment from locals of the isles, are we going to be recognized as their equals or they will scron us for being inferior since we're from mainland? In Morrowind everyone istantly could tell that dunmer-PC was an outlander and I'm afraid that might be the case for Summerset too which might present some problem from roleplay perspective since I intended for my character to originate from Alinor.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not 100% sure on the lore here but I think even if your char originated from the place, much like in Morrowind, being outside of the country at all is enough to make you an outlander.

I think there's some letters you find from Altmer NPCs in... Grahtwood? maybe?, writing to their parents, apologising for having left and all the social effects of that. So pretty sure stepping outside the country is taboo.

Japan used to have a similar culture during the feudal period: if you left the islands you better not come back, as interaction with the outside was corruptible.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my experience from the Summerset PTS...
    I was planning to use my Altmer characters when I play Summerset on live, so I rolled an Altmer character on PTS to test whether NPC's would acknowledge that she was a high elf or not. They did acknowledge her race. The fact that she was an Altmer as well as being from outside Summerset seemed to be the main topic of conversation for most NPC's who are not quest givers, especially around Shimmerene.

I'm not sure that this is better than the alternative, where character race is simply ignored by NPCs. It felt uncomfortable, especially when Altmer NPC's assumed my character was complicit in their disdain for non-Altmer. There's a bit too much of this type of thing...

0ZEampb.jpg

with no chance for my character to make her own feelings on the matter plain. I sometimes get this happen to me in real life, and it's just not fun.

Perhaps I'll send my Dark Elves to Summerset instead.
    PC EU
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    From my experience, it really depends on which Altmer you talk to. Some notice you as an Altmer, some notice you as an Altmer outsider, some just see you as an outsider. From what I've seen of Summerset so far on the PTS, there tends to be more people that recognise you as an Altmer than those who don't.
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a good thing.

Being able to roleplay as a "Summersetian" should have been possible. It bothered me a bit when my Ashlander was seen as an outsider by ashland NPCs in Morrowind (could explain this by being an exile though)

An idea for example - at the begining of the quests in Shimmerene, one should register, and if (s)he's an Altmer, then there would be a "red" 2 choice option : register as a Auridon/Tamriel mainland citizen OR register as a Summerset/Alinor island citizen.
    Then some flavor texts would change given this choice. Don't you think so ?
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Dellarie
    Dellarie
    ✭✭
    An idea for example - at the begining of the quests in Shimmerene, one should register, and if (s)he's an Altmer, then there would be a "red" 2 choice option : register as a Auridon/Tamriel mainland citizen OR register as a Summerset/Alinor island citizen.
    Then some flavor texts would change given this choice. Don't you think so ?

That would've been ideal, or they could go simple route and make it so that everyone would be nice and hospitable to a fellow altmer whether you're from Alinor or mainland - kinda how it was in Skyrim where no one cared where you came from as long as you're nord, I think that would be satisfactory and wouldn't break anyone's RP.
    Edited by Dellarie on May 3, 2018 2:26PM