The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A Question of Medals

Kulrig
Kulrig
✭✭✭
Hiya, forum goers!

TL;DR I healed us up real good in Death Match and got the lowest medal count. Is this the way the system rewards team support, or did the system decide my heals could have been better?

The other day I finally got to exploring Morrowind with my brother, and we came across the battleground guy. We decided to check it out, and I'm glad we did! Damn near 10K AP in the course of fifteen minutes, much better than bumbling around Cyrodiil for half an hour only to get caught by zerglings and get no AP. And it was fun, even if my team did decide to split up more often than it should have. Anyways, as you may have guessed from reading the TL;DR, I was focusing on healing. I helped out with damage when I had the magicka to spare and the incoming damage was light, but for the most part I was focused on keeping my team mates alive regardless of how much fire and spiky bits they stood in. I thought I did pretty well for myself, my team scored second and a solid majority of the kills the winning team got were against the losing team.

Then I took a closer look at the results screen, and half the people on the losing team got more medals than I did and they didn't even have many kills or assists. I had zero kills because I was focusing on healing, but I did manage a few assists thanks to tossing around some lightning pools and crystal shards. This worried me, but at the end of the day I got so many AP in one go that it was hard to feel down about scoring so low despite being so helpful.

Today I decided to look into it, and from what I can tell I only got any medals because of the occasional DPS I dealt (my Matriach probably helped too with her piddly zaps). On the other hand, if we were playing Chaosball it sounds like I would have been crowned MVP and the people who kept the wolves at bay would have been screwed over.

So... does the system really reward teamwork that poorly? Or have there been changes made recently that makes it so that contributing in any manner is enough to earn some points, and in this particular case my contribution could have been greater?

Cheers!
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certain achievements you can get that will increase medals. For instance, a quad kill = big medals

But medals really don’t mean anything... they only affect your leaderboard standing.

Healers usually do well in domination and crazy king, but not so well in deathmatch.

People who kill do well in deathmatch, but not so well in capture the relic or chaos ball.

Tanks do well in chaos ball and capture the relic.

It’s all trade offs. I was #5 in deathmatch leaderboard but I didn’t even place in the domination leaderboard last week.

Focus instead on winning:

First place team gets 12k AP
    Second place gets 10k AP
    Third place gets 7k AP.
    Edited by Thogard on May 1, 2018 8:34PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things are a lot better for healers than they used to be. I actually made a post about that quite some time ago, mentioning some premade team's healer getting pretty close to 1 million healing in a death match, but placing 9th out of 12 on personal score.

If you're healing on a Sorcerer in a death match game, make liberal use of your execute if you wanna cheese up some medals. Plus it'll help your team win; you can either kill steal from the third team, or help prevent them from stealing your team's kills.
  • Kulrig
    Kulrig
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooh! OK. So medals are just a leaderboard thing, and have no (or little) impact on AP gain? Good to know. Never cared much for that sort of thing anyway.

I'll keep the execute thing in mind, as I did notice at some point in the match another team stole a kill.