Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Feel like i'm getting less experience

BozzyTheDrummer
BozzyTheDrummer
✭✭✭✭
So I made a new character this weekend. I made an Altmer MagSorc that will serve as my PvE DPS character and want to get him ready for veteran dungeons, trials and whatnot. Trying to get this guy to 50 as quickly as I can. When I was playing in a group this weekend, I popped on of those experience scrolls that boost experience by 150% for 1 hour. My friend and I went to Alikr Desert to do those three dolmens that I have been seeing people do in huge groups. It was fun for a little bit, but I noticed I was only getting about 23 -150 experience for each kill, or from attacking the enemies. Once the dolmen was complete, I only got 1.5k experience. By the time I reached level 17, i'm still getting very little experience from the enemies, and only about 2.3k experience from the dolmen.

I gave up doing that because it got boring after a while. Went on to do story missions, side quests, and even went around with my group of two other players killing world bosses. I was still getting very little experience. This is all with my scrolls active. After the 150% scroll ended, I popped another one the boosts for 50% for 2 hours. Now obviously my friends were getting more experience than me because they were about 20 levels above me.

For some reason, to me, it seemed like the experience I was gaining wasn't as much as I usually do, because it took me from Friday night to Sunday afternoon just to get to level 20.

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy and I'm getting normal XP. I Just haven't had it take this long only to reach level 20.
Xbox NA
CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your XP gains scale to your level. That is why your buddies were probably getting like 9k XP, assuming they had the same experience buffs as you. You also get bonus experience for completing different dolmens for the first time.

Reaching Level 20 is not that difficult. I was able to get an alt to Level 20 by doing Alik’r dolmens for one and a half hours. Because of the stupidity of dolmen groups on PS4 of late, I had to ride across the desert to to get the wayshrines instead of teleport to players.
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the same last night, currently levelling an alt but it seems to be taking much longer even with xp scrolls, wonder if we got too used to the anniversary xp boost or has there been a stealth nerf ?
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yzalirk wrote: »
    Your XP gains scale to your level. That is why your buddies were probably getting like 9k XP, assuming they had the same experience buffs as you. You also get bonus experience for completing different dolmens for the first time.

Reaching Level 20 is not that difficult. I was able to get an alt to Level 20 by doing Alik’r dolmens for one and a half hours. Because of the stupidity of dolmen groups on PS4 of late, I had to ride across the desert to to get the wayshrines instead of teleport to players.

Okay, that would explain why they got a hell of a lot more than me lol

And yea, I have never had a problem getting to level 20 like this before. With my other two characters that I got to level 50, it took me no time at all to pass 20. It just seemed this character took too long. It shouldn't take me about 2 days worth of playing just to get to 20.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lunerdog wrote: »
    I thought the same last night, currently levelling an alt but it seems to be taking much longer even with xp scrolls, wonder if we got too used to the anniversary xp boost or has there been a stealth nerf ?

So I'm not the only one! It could be that I got used to all the XP. But it still seemed less than normal. I didn't have this hard of a time getting to level 20 on my other character that I got to 50 just before all the XP events took place.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its fine by me... i just Spam Dungeon finder as a tank and i massacre through levels in a blink of an eye lol

that's how i level all my chars.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zordrage wrote: »
    its fine by me... i just Spam Dungeon finder as a tank and i massacre through levels in a blink of an eye lol

I haven't used the dungeon finder successfully yet. I usually have to wait in a queue for a good bit of time to where I just leave and do something else. Does it just pair you with a group to clear a dungeon?
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't used the dungeon finder successfully yet. I usually have to wait in a queue for a good bit of time to where I just leave and do something else. Does it just pair you with a group to clear a dungeon?

Yeah. The "trick" is that there's a severe shortage of tanks and healers. Tank queues average about 2 seconds, healer queues average a couple minutes, DPS die of old age before they find a group.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been a couple nerfs to dolmen surfing. Though none of those have been particularly recent. The big one is that, with that many people slapping the enemies around, you get severely reduced XP payouts, and little or no loot.

If you want to surf dolmens, I'd suggest finding a zone that doesn't get large groups rolling through, like Reaper's March or Bangkorai, and surfing there. Alik'r is just overwhelmed by idiot surfers.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. The "trick" is that there's a severe shortage of tanks and healers. Tank queues average about 2 seconds, healer queues average a couple minutes, DPS die of old age before they find a group.

yep this....
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭

There have been a couple nerfs to dolmen surfing. Though none of those have been particularly recent. The big one is that, with that many people slapping the enemies around, you get severely reduced XP payouts, and little or no loot.

If you want to surf dolmens, I'd suggest finding a zone that doesn't get large groups rolling through, like Reaper's March or Bangkorai, and surfing there. Alik'r is just overwhelmed by idiot surfers.

I think I will try this. I was actually surprised how little XP I was getting. I felt like I wasted my 150% XP scroll ol
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭

This is good to know and explains why my wait times are for forever. I have a tank and a healer I am working on after this character gets to 50.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I will try this. I was actually surprised how little XP I was getting. I felt like I wasted my 150% XP scroll ol

You kinda did.

When you're looking at zones, pay attention to where the dolmens are, and how to get to them from the nearest wayshrines. Alik'r is the most popular because of how easy it is to go from shrine to dolmen and back. Auridon is a close second, and there are often trains running there. Zones like Glenumbra or Greenshade can be a pain to farm because of dolmens being nearly inaccessible. Others like Stonefalls or Malbal Tor have long runs in places, but are otherwise pretty painless, and tend to get overlooked. Find a zone with a low Dolmen population, and run there.
    Edited by starkerealm on April 30, 2018 4:10PM
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭

Deshan is also a good place to farm dolmens. They are relatively close to wayshrines and 2 of the dolmens have World Bosses right beside them that you can hit too.....and the third one has the public dungeons right next to it. Also, there is never anyone there
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is good to know and explains why my wait times are for forever. I have a tank and a healer I am working on after this character gets to 50.
    Wait time on random normal for DD tend to be 10 to 15 minutes. It might be a bit longer for low level as you can not do all the dungeons. Its however an bug who make you stand in queue forever, if you has queued for over 15 minutes, leave queue and start again, you will then usually pop right in.
    You can do dolmens or skyshard hunting while waiting :)

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah. The "trick" is that there's a severe shortage of good tanks and healers. Tank queues average about 2 seconds, healer queues average a couple minutes, DPS die of old age before they find a group.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like deshaan for dolmens but I never grind levels. I got my newest EU character to level 10 in about an hour and a half of questing and skyshard hunting. I also do not use XP scrolls or pots. It seems to me that level 20 comes too fast since the last change. CWC, I believe.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Literally :D
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »

Literally :D

I do not think that word means what you think it means... No deaths have been reported that have been attributable to long queues.... :neutral:
    Edited by Sting864 on May 1, 2018 12:33AM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    XP scrolls are pretty much a scam as ESO is 99% running and talking so 99% of your scrolls are wasted on getting to and fro to quests and then reading npcs dialogues even surfing through npcs dialogues..

Its really not worth it unless youre somewhere killing relentlessly.
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Deshan is also a good place to farm dolmens. They are relatively close to wayshrines and 2 of the dolmens have World Bosses right beside them that you can hit too.....and the third one has the public dungeons right next to it. Also, there is never anyone there

This ^^

Was running Deshan dolmens just today. I was on for at least an hour and there was never more than 3 other players at a dolmen with me. Several times I even got to solo them.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lygerseye wrote: »

This ^^

Was running Deshan dolmens just today. I was on for at least an hour and there was never more than 3 other players at a dolmen with me. Several times I even got to solo them.

But dolmens are so boring to do over and over!
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTB Skyreach runs...
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    WTB Skyreach runs...

I had my friend take me to skyreach last night to help me get more experience by taking me into the mobs in there. Had and experience scroll active and we had our ring of mara on, and i was getting anywhere from 800-1.2k experience for each mob we killed.

We even tried some of the bosses in there, and I didn't get any more than 1.6k experience from the bosses. while he was getting over 7k only with his ring of mara active. I know the experience scales with level, I just feel like I'm getting less than normal.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've started queueing again for quick daily normals with my main tank and finding a group is as fast as you say. I even had to reject the first one because I noticed I was added as healer. Both queues were almost instantaneous.