The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Like other large MMO's is it not time for an official name purge?

• Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highlor3 wrote: »
    I love this idea. Most of the really cool names are most likely taken by inactive accounts (ppl who created the chars at launch and have quit by now).

People that bought the game at full price, paid for subscription (required to continue playing), but because you want to steal their character names, If they aren't playing during a name purge, the should loose them to you.

This in not a F2P or a P2P game. The naming system gives you more possibilities than lots of other games out there. You just want to get other people's characters' names.

They bought access to play the game, they didn't buy the names they copied from the internet for their characters. And if their inactive for 2 or 3 years and can't be bothered to sign on the game to keep those names after ZOS announces their going to do a name purge of old inactive accounts then their not entitled to prevent others from using them.

You look like an entitled too when asking for a purge to steal someone else's characters' name because they don't login into the game for some time.

If you make a reservation at a restaurant and then never show up and they give that reservation to someone else did that person steel it from you?

Let's be real, if there was a name purge and someone did take your name because you were AFK for the last 2 or 3 years it was because it wasn't your original name to begin with, they just searched for particular names and copied it from the same place you did because unless you have a stalker they're not going to know original names you created yourself.
    Edited by Twohothardware on April 30, 2018 1:16AM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    All of my character names have been lore appropriate. None of them have ever been taken.

Maybe there is a lesson there somewhere.

Pretty much this.

As others have said, you can add spaces, hypens, prefixes. It's much easier to find a name in ESO than it is in Black Desert, for example.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you make a reservation at a restaurant and then never show up and they give that reservation to someone else did that person steel it from you?

Of all the analogies you could have used ... this is the one you chose to support your point??

Iluvrien wrote: »
    All of my character names have been lore appropriate. None of them have ever been taken.

Maybe there is a lesson there somewhere.

Same ... using lore appropriate names (see signature) and have never had this issue.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on April 30, 2018 4:05AM
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love this idea. Most of the really cool names are most likely taken by inactive accounts (ppl who created the chars at launch and have quit by now).

People that bought the game at full price, paid for subscription (required to continue playing), but because you want to steal their character names, If they aren't playing during a name purge, the should loose them to you.

This in not a F2P or a P2P game. The naming system gives you more possibilities than lots of other games out there. You just want to get other people's characters' names.

They bought access to play the game, they didn't buy the names they copied from the internet for their characters. And if their inactive for 2 or 3 years and can't be bothered to sign on the game to keep those names after ZOS announces their going to do a name purge of old inactive accounts then their not entitled to prevent others from using them.

You look like an entitled too when asking for a purge to steal someone else's characters' name because they don't login into the game for some time.

Let's be real, if there was a name purge and someone did take your name because you were AFK for the last 2 or 3 years it was because it wasn't your original name to begin with, they just searched for particular names and copied it from the same place you did because unless you have a stalker they're not going to know original names you created yourself.

I've had my (original) live names taken on PTS a few times, and not other times, meaning other players copied them.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see players using names of others I used to know, and I wouldn't like to see it. That's not exactly a knock-out argument, but there also isn't much to oppose it as far as I can see.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty surprised “Radguardio” wasnt taken, needless to say I have a Redgaurd now
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    Graydon wrote: »
    LoL they naysayers that brag about their creative names and they never have issues finding a name....

So why so against a purge? Won’t affect you the slightest.

I too admit my characters have great names, and I’m not worried one bit over a name purge.

There must be over a dozen MMO’s I haven’t played for years. I don’t see any problem having those names purged. Why?? Because I don’t play that game anymore!

Geez. Common sense is hard.

becasue it will. there is a difference between creating a new name for a new character and losing a name of a character you have been playing already and likely have grown attached to, even if it was on and off.

people leave, people come back. one of the things that is probably the biggest welcome back is seeing your characters, safe and sound and ready to be played.

the truth here is not people having issues coming up with names. they just want a name someone else already has and they are hoping to get it via purge.

Most likely logging in after 2+ years, the attachment is gone. Also most likely somebody coming back after 2 years will leave the game again sooner than later.

nope and nope.

cause guess what? I was gone for about 2 years and then came back and now a subscriber who is also buying crowns every once in a while. and that attachment to names is absolutely there, becasue as i have mentioned earlier (and I KNOW i'm not a special unique snowflake in that) those character names are the ones I've been using for decades now.

there are a LOT of people who are like that. people leave. people come back. heck, in WoW its normal to leave for the duration of expansion to come back 3 years later, leave again, come back again, WHY DO YOU THINK they are not doing name purges all that much and instead when they need to balance populations - go for connected realms so that people could continue to keep their names?
    Cool personal story. Let me tell you mine in which I've known and played with 20-30 people who left the game over a year, two years, three years ago and have no intention of coming back. And most of whom would be adult enough to understand they had to rename characters after such a long absence if they ever changed their minds.
    Heck I left for 8 months one time and it wouldn't have deterred me from playing again if I had to rename my characters as long as everything else was intact.
    At least in ESO your house is always yours, in FF if you leave for too long you lose it and everything in it.
    Edited by itscompton on April 30, 2018 9:14AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity @Twohothardware what is the name you want which you're asking for the purge to take?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    At least in ESO your house is always yours, in FF if you leave for too long you lose it and everything in it.

Um, lol, for now. OP is asking ZOS to do something that other MMOs do, and if they were to implement it, why stop there? You sure are making a huge assumption that they won't touch housing in a similar way if they were to go down the "Other MMO do X" avenue.

As for purging names, the only time I had a problem with a name being taken is with short names, 5 characters or less. But i think one of the main reasons people want this is so to free up stupid, crude, silly, punny, "ironic" or jokey names that do not contribute to the game overall and hint of a considerable lack of imagination or need for approval, if not both. As someone said above, you can always go lore-friendly and chances are you won't have a problem. It's all the people trying way too effing hard to be cool and are mad they are being made to use their long-neglected imaginations.

But sure, let's have ZOS go intrusively fiddle with people's accounts and characters just so you can have a goofy stupid name that someone came up with 4 years ago yet you somehow still think is cool. OK. If you can't see why that's a bad line to cross, then I can't help you.
    Edited by jssriot on April 30, 2018 2:33PM
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean you dont like a name like Xx1(nameyouwanted)1xX??? Weird :/

I know weird, right!? I don’t understand these people....AlphaNumerics shall R31GN SUPR3M3!1?!1 lol
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dcuo aslo did it once after 5 years
    It was someting like this
    They anounced it 3 month in advance

They would change the name of every character on your acount by adding a few number by the end and give you enought FREE name chage token to change all your names again

All you had to do was to login once in the 3 month period before the purge

Im not against that idea but i dont feel like its needed now so maybe in a few years it could be more useful
  • Inig0
    Inig0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Horowonnoe wrote: »
    Never had a problem getting a name i wanted : )
    That said - Potema the Wolf Queen is mine. As is Almalexia.
    As is the wonderful stealable item from thieves guild - False Eye

STARES AT THE MOON
    GM: Mechanically Challenged
    In game - @Inig0
    Sorc - Inigo- Beautiful Chocolate Man
    NB - Raphiki - Beautiful Chocolate Man
    Temp - Ineegø - ınıgo
    DK - Inigø - Alfeus - Down for Maintenance
    Warden - Help I Made a Warden
    PC NA
    Youtube Stuffs
    Only the best memes die twice
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    LoL they naysayers that brag about their creative names and they never have issues finding a name....

So why so against a purge? Won’t affect you the slightest.

I too admit my characters have great names, and I’m not worried one bit over a name purge.

There must be over a dozen MMO’s I haven’t played for years. I don’t see any problem having those names purged. Why?? Because I don’t play that game anymore!

Geez. Common sense is hard.

becasue it will. there is a difference between creating a new name for a new character and losing a name of a character you have been playing already and likely have grown attached to, even if it was on and off.

people leave, people come back. one of the things that is probably the biggest welcome back is seeing your characters, safe and sound and ready to be played.

the truth here is not people having issues coming up with names. they just want a name someone else already has and they are hoping to get it via purge.

Most likely logging in after 2+ years, the attachment is gone. Also most likely somebody coming back after 2 years will leave the game again sooner than later.

nope and nope.

cause guess what? I was gone for about 2 years and then came back and now a subscriber who is also buying crowns every once in a while. and that attachment to names is absolutely there, becasue as i have mentioned earlier (and I KNOW i'm not a special unique snowflake in that) those character names are the ones I've been using for decades now.

there are a LOT of people who are like that. people leave. people come back. heck, in WoW its normal to leave for the duration of expansion to come back 3 years later, leave again, come back again, WHY DO YOU THINK they are not doing name purges all that much and instead when they need to balance populations - go for connected realms so that people could continue to keep their names?
    Cool personal story. Let me tell you mine in which I've known and played with 20-30 people who left the game over a year, two years, three years ago and have no intention of coming back. And most of whom would be adult enough to understand they had to rename characters after such a long absence if they ever changed their minds.
    Heck I left for 8 months one time and it wouldn't have deterred me from playing again if I had to rename my characters as long as everything else was intact.

aaah, pulling immaturity card. it won't work.

there is zero need for a name purge, especially in a game with naming conventions as flexible as that of ESO. there are plenty of reasons NOT to do it. those 20-30 exaggerated people you know who have no intention of coming back? are out of consideration anyways. but people who MIGHT come back? bear far more importance and the fact that its normal for MMO players to lapse and come back and the fact that its pretty common for players to get attached to character names and lose interest in coming back once those names are gone? is most certainly worth considering.

not to mention. there is absolutely NO guarantee that the name you want is going to be released anyways. there is a good chance it won't be released anyway. get a bit more creative with your naming.
    Edited by Linaleah on April 30, 2018 3:37PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    ... maybe if we could check character name before creation then it would help?

Check it and lock it for like 5 mins or so while creating your new character. That would be helpful.
    I don't comment here often but when I do, I get [snip]
  • Pwnyridah
    Pwnyridah
    ✭✭✭
    Use special characters, problem solved.