The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Edited usersettings.ini file and changes being reverted on client relaunch

electromagnets
electromagnets
✭✭✭
Edited usersettings.ini file and changes being reverted on relaunch

Hoping this is a simple case of git gud with basic computer operation, but it seems like maybe more than that...

So I sometimes play on my laptop when traveling (late 2013 15” MacBook Pro maxed out) and I use an Xbox One controller instead of the trackpad. Would just bring a mouse with me but often don’t have an extra flat surface to use it on, and I don’t do anything serious (trials, pvp, etc) on the laptop anyway.

Anyway, the camera sensitivity while using a game pad is horrifically low. While looking for a way to improve that, I stumbled onto an old post about editing the usersettings.ini file to manually increase gamepad sensitivity. (not surprisingly, zos still hasn’t implemented a sensitivity adjustment to the gamepad UI)

The default value was something like 0.7500002 and not knowing which direction to change the number, I set it to 1.0000000. Saved the file, closed it, restarted the client, logged in, tested the camera movement and had NONE. The camera remained static regardless of which direction I moved the joystick.

So I open up the usersettings.ini file again and notice that the value is now set to 0.0000000....

Heh???

Naturally I changed the value back to the original 0.7500002, saved the file, closed it, restarted client, logged in, tested movement, and again... NONE.

Open of the usersettings file once more and BAM - back to 0.0000000...

Why is the client resetting the value to zero regardless of what I manually enter while editing? And more importantly, why is it resetting to ZERO instead of the default value of 0.7500002 that the game ships with?

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Naturally I changed the value back to the original 0.7500002, saved the file, closed it, restarted client, logged in, tested movement, and again... NONE.
    I am sure I have edited that file successfully, if for different settings.

When you're editing, make sure the client is not running:

1. Close client first
    2. Edit the .ini file
    3. Restart client

The client is quite possibly dumping out the whole file from memory when you close it. Thus if you:

1. Edit the .ini file
    2. Close client
    3. Restart client

Then step 2 may have clobbered your changes.

I can only guess that the client thought 1.0000000 was wrongly formatted or out of range and changed it to 0. The reason you are now "trapped" with those settings might be because of the above, though.

I take it you have a backup of the original .ini? Always take a backup, just in case there are any tab characters or other things you can't see in the file, confusing the issue.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Churro_Burro
    Churro_Burro
    Soul Shriven
    Remember after editing the file to right click it and check the "read only" box. That will make it so the game wont be able to edit those files unless you do so manually.
  • electromagnets
    electromagnets
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies - for now I just copy / pasted the value from the first person sensitivity (though initially it was different) and it works. Have given up for the moment on trying to manually change that value but will definitely play around with it more before I travel again. Will update this with any interesting / relevant findings if there are any.