The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crown Store Gifting and Potential Scamming

Ley
Ley
✭✭✭✭✭
UPDATE:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/407076/pts-update-18-feedback-thread-for-crown-store-gifting
Based on the feedback looks like CoD isn't a thing for now, in the new crown store gifting system.

Let me start off by saying, despite my mixed feelings about exchanging real money for in game gold/items/services, while not thrilled, I'm more or less ok with this new feature. Call this gifting or call it whatever you want, it's just semantics. This is essentially creating a new market for players to sell and trade gold/items/services for crown store items (real money). Some players may choose to give these items away for free (gift them) but inevitably players will use this for trade; no matter how well or poorly it's implemented. There are several unknowns regarding the implementation that I am concerned about.

Will it be against ToS to gift crown store items in exchange for in game gold/items/services?

If not will gifting have functionality comparable to the mailing system's CoD?

If it is against ToS then ZOS can at least pretend to not endorse the exchange of crowns for gold/items/services and make the exchange process not conducive to safe exchange. Trade crowns for gold/items/services at your own risk. If a player gets scammed trying to exchange crowns for gold/items/services, then they have no one to complain to because they breached the ToS.

If it isn't against ToS then they may as well embrace the inevitable exchange of crowns for gold/items/services and make the system user friendly and as scam-proof as possible (CoD).

I also find it interesting that they decided to make gifts permanent. In the sense that once you buy an item from the crown store with the intent of gifting it, if it is sent back to you, you cannot claim the item yourself and are forced to hold onto it until you find someone else to "gift" it to. I think a much more fair approach to this would be, if the person receiving the gift declines the gift or the gift expires, then the sender gets their crowns refunded for that item and the item goes away. Otherwise this is inviting players to troll/scam each other by agreeing to an exchange and then backing out after the item has already been gifted. This is assuming there is some form of CoD in place and the other player can't just steal them item outright and not hold up their end of the bargain. I don't have high hopes for this to be changed.

I don't want to even imagine how many support tickets ZOS will have to deal with of players getting scammed, players asking for refunds on items purchased as gifts, players who sent gifts to the wrong person, ect...

I'd like to give ZOS the benefit of the doubt and assume they've considered all of these scenarios and have implemented ways of handling them effectively. I'd hate to see this added to the game and for whatever reasons (legal or otherwise) implemented in a way that makes it very easy to scam other players.
Edited by Ley on May 5, 2018 9:29PM
Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • OblivionNW
    OblivionNW
    ✭✭
    I doubt they would allow people to sell crown store items for in-game gold since its esentially just gold buying/selling, using real money (to get crowns) to get items to sell for in-game gold.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OblivionNW wrote: »
    I doubt they would allow people to sell crown store items for in-game gold since its esentially just gold buying/selling, using real money (to get crowns) to get items to sell for in-game gold.

They don't have to endorse it but how would they actively prevent it?
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ley wrote: »

If they catch it, yeah, probably.

I'm honestly not sure what's going on with the crown store gifting. It seems a bit odd, given prior positions, but I guess we'll see.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All crown store purchases are bound to the player who buys them and are not even sellable. There is no Crown Gifting as of yet though they have mentioned thinking about it in the past, I have not heard anything new on the subject.
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All crown store purchases are bound to the player who buys them and are not even sellable. There is no Crown Gifting as of yet though they have mentioned thinking about it in the past, I have not heard anything new on the subject.

It's in the current PTS build. Which, in retrospect, this thread should probably be over there, rather than here.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SteveCampsOut
    This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Learn About Update 18’s Gifting, Daily Rewards, & Combat Changes. Update 18 introduces a selection of additions and improvements for all ESO players, including Crown Store Gifting, Daily Rewards, and combat changes that are designed to help you play the way you want to play. Find out more in this latest preview article!
    In case you missed the announcement.

Edited by Ley on April 26, 2018 9:23PM
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crown store gifting has been done for at least 18 months now - I know because I've gifted things to other accounts since late 2016. To do so you need to contact customer support, but with update 18, it will be automated as part of the game.

• OblivionNW
    OblivionNW
    ✭✭
    If it is against ToS then ZOS can at least pretend to not endorse the exchange of crowns for gold/items/services and make the exchange process not conducive to safe exchange. Trade crowns for gold/items/services at your own risk. If a player gets scammed trying to exchange crowns for gold/items/services, then they have no one to complain to because they breached the ToS.
    This. It probably won't be actively monitored and will probably only be acted on if reported, realistically they can't know if crown items were traded for gold on every instance the system is used.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »

Crown store gifting has been done for at least 18 months now - I know because I've gifted things to other accounts since late 2016. To do so you need to contact customer support, but with update 18, it will be automated as part of the game.
    I'm aware, but there's a big difference between having to put in a support ticket to gift an item and being able to manage the transaction yourself in-game.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go read the Support topics on/after June 5th
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 26, 2018 11:45PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is it or is it not allowed to post in chat WTT X ingame item for X crownstore item? cause I imagine ill be seeing that in zone chat.

and quick question to anyone informed can you gift houses??
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is it or is it not allowed to post in chat WTT X ingame item for X crownstore item? cause I imagine ill be seeing that in zone chat.

No
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, aside form "it can be used to scam" there is no good reason to wish for this type of trading to be averted.

Don't want crown store items? Great, continue on!

Want crown store items but don't have cash? Great, earn GP and buy them from a player!

Have cash but need gold? Great! Buy some stuff in crown store and get all the gold you could ever want.

And before people start boohoo'ing, I firmly reject the idea that buying currency is p2w.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they shouldn't entertain any support tickets about it and make it purely 100% "at your own risk".
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And so it begins.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, aside form "it can be used to scam" there is no good reason to wish for this type of trading to be averted.

Don't want crown store items? Great, continue on!

Want crown store items but don't have cash? Great, earn GP and buy them from a player!

Have cash but need gold? Great! Buy some stuff in crown store and get all the gold you could ever want.

And before people start boohoo'ing, I firmly reject the idea that buying currency is p2w.
    I don't think it will be an issue the way the crown store is currently structured, but I have played MMOs where real money currency was all anyone wanted to trade anything for; in game currency was virtually worthless (pun intended).

I'm just hoping that when they implement this feature in-game, they do it right.
  • lihentian
    lihentian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be nice if they could trade gift.. this way they make more money off in game crown item trading.
  • Pennylong
    Pennylong
    ✭✭✭

I guess one way around it would be allow them to be posted on the guild markets.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/407076/pts-update-18-feedback-thread-for-crown-store-gifting
    Based on the feedback looks like CoD isn't a thing. It's hard for me to imagine that ZOS didn't think of these concerns themselves, which means they intentionally designed the gifting system this way.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/26375
    Unlocking Gifting

Gifting is a feature that must be unlocked. If you are a new player, you need to become an ESO Plus member or make a Crown Pack purchase and wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift. If you are an existing player who is not yet an ESO Plus member or has not made a Crown Pack purchase, you will also need to make a purchase and then wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift. Gifting is automatically unlocked if you are an existing player with a qualifying history of Crown Pack purchases or ESO Plus participation on the launch of Update 18.

The question I have from this is whether the ability to receive Crown gifts needs to be unlocked.

I think this would cut down a large percentage of scamming.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scamming isn't gainst the tos.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

in every other MMO i have ever played we were allowed to sell things from the cash shop to other players for ingame Gold.
    why should eso be anything different?
    im always in need of gold, and i have crowns to sell.

Will it be against ToS to gift crown store items in exchange for in game gold/items/services?

no? it's allowed?

then i will be selling crowns for good Gold that i need because im a pvp player, and im allways broke.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any news on this from a developer?
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it's too good of a deal to be true, then it's probably not true.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible wrote: »
    Scamming isn't gainst the tos.

Not going to read though ToS to confirm if this is in fact true, but if it is, that's surprising to me.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely, no. That would probably be bannable. Actually stopping those things? About as preventable as gold selling on websites
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously? That's exactly what a gifting system is for. It isn't so people can be nice to each other, it's to increase crown store revenue by allowing players with crowns to gift to players with gold. In Rift this was very common. You would sell REX for gold. REX was a tradeable item that granted store currency that was purchased in the store. You spent money, sold REX, got in-game currency. On top of that, there were also players who gifted store items for gold.

ESO won't be the exception here. I don't see this as a bad thing either as it allows normal players to gift for gold they need rather than botters farming gold/selling it on a website. ZOS gets a cut this way, which is good for the company/game.

If they catch it, yeah, probably.

I'm honestly not sure what's going on with the crown store gifting. It seems a bit odd, given prior positions, but I guess we'll see.

They won't try to catch anyone doing this. Expect to see players advertising gifting x crowns for y gold as soon as this goes live. Right now the process is gold farmers/botters farm gold -> offer gold on website -> player buys gold. ZOS gets cut out of this transaction entirely aside from the gold farmers accounts possibly paying for ESO+.

The new process will be player buys crowns in store -> offers crown store gifting in chat -> player gets gold. This way ZOS gets their cut from the crown store purchase.

IMO ZOS should take it one step further and offer a tradeable crown store item that grants crowns. You buy it for 1000 crowns, sell it for x amount of gold on a trader or in chat, and the player who buys it can use the item to grant their account 1000 crowns. Same as REX in Rift. No one can get scammed this way either.
    Edited by ecru on May 5, 2018 10:55PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    its legal gold selling
    imho its good
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is the best option, trade at your own risk means that less will do it, but if you want to, sure. And its not P2W, you can buy gold of websites for irl money, as long as it doesn't harm the economy.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will submit a support ticket and ask since I cant find a green post