The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bard Build

Delta1038
Delta1038
✭✭✭
I have been wanting to make a Bard in ESO for some time but I have been having a hard time with it. I want to be primarily a magicka focus build and I figure I will use Restoration Staves as it has some good buff options for self and allies, also light armor is my preference. But really the issue is class, Templar feels too full healer amd while I want to be able to do some healing I am not looking to be a cleric/white mage. I keep trying Warden, mostly because the description, but it just does not feel like a Bard, just feels like a Druid and I am not much of a nature guy. Any suggestions or advice? Am I just trying to build something impractical for ESO?

Just for the record as well, I am more of a solo PvE’er and the random dungeon finder on normal, I do not care for pvp, vet dungeons, trials, battlegrounds, or the like. This is purely for solo fun and helping out random people along the way. I cannot see myself every joining a guild or trying to do the more high tier end game content.
Xbox One NA
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no bards magic in the game thus yes, you are building something that doesn't exist
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly your best bet is sorcerer. Just need to avoid the daedric tree but you can 'rp' it in a way that you call down demons when you sing. (metal music ftw). Its cliche but hey, like skander said, it's not a class that has come up yet.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Delta1038
    Delta1038
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I kinda figured this would be a pain, I hate the limitations in the narrow classes but I really like the world itself. I just hope I can make something that feels appropriate.
    Xbox One NA
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So...you wanna do magic things with your flute?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you believe that a bard should be roguish, then the obvious choice is a nightblade, since nightblades are by far the best thieves (because of Shadowy Disguise and Concealed Weapon).

If you believe that a bard should dabble in several schools of magic, then you shouldn't use the magicka specs that are heavily element-based, namely sorcerer and dragonknight, since the destro staff is element-based as well.

If you believe that a bard should be decent with physical weapons, that of course speaks to a stamina build, especially if we recall that everybody uses magicka for utility skills.

My characters who are based on bard characters in other games include a bosmer nightblade thief and a couple of magicka templars. The nightblade really feels bardish; the templars don't.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on April 26, 2018 12:02PM
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /lute every time you kill an enemy.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is one, but it seems it doesn't work that well against cliffracers
    61-1501601631.png
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Delta1038
    Delta1038
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to be of the mind that the bard is a blend of rogue and mage, generally speaking. I am working some test builds now, currently a Dragonknight focusing mainly on Earthen Heart since it has some good damage and defense buffs. I figure staying away from heavy damage focused skill lines for sorcerer and dragonknight is wise, mainly the elemental ones. The nightblade is not bad just wish it had some better buff ally options at it seems to be mainly emssing with the enemy and life steal. But I also have not explored the nightblade much yet.

Also yes Astrid, I do want to do magic with my flute, possible jokes not withstanding, I am a flute player in reality as well as a saxaphone player and on a really good day, a terrible piano player. I have set to the hotkey of the characters the flute and dancing emotes, basically anything to be an entertainer. I like the idea of inspiring and boosting my allies while also kind of messing with the enemy at the same time.
    Edited by Delta1038 on April 26, 2018 12:57PM
    Xbox One NA
  • artyportub17_ESO
    artyportub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    id look into the assault tree and support tree in cyrodil.
    I made a bard like character with warhorn who is duel weilding swords and has a sword and sheild.
    He is a templar tho.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just use the Oblivion class description to craft the build:
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Bard_(Oblivion)

"Intelligent and personable, they prefer to accomplish tasks with their words first, and sword second.
    In-game description"

Bards have the gift of a silver tongue and work very well with people, but should not be underestimated as fighters for their blades are as sharp as their mind and tongue. They are also adept at the magical school of illusion magic and are capable alchemists.

The Bard is a premade class with the following stats:
    Specialization - Stealth
    Favored Attributes
    Personality
    Intelligence

Major Skills

Blade
    Block
    Illusion
    Alchemy
    Light Armor
    Mercantile
    Speechcraft

What does this mean? You'll need to be a magblade:
    - dual weld/snb with stealth
    - use stealth potions with crit/SD buffs and debuff enemies with poisons
    - use light armor, 2pc medium
    - get sneak cost reduction through CP and skillines.
    - get both mage/fighters guild passives to bypass questline
    - get thief line and trade via stealing. Regularly engage with a trade guild
    - talk in zone ALOT.

That's all I can think of :)
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Delta1038
    Delta1038
    ✭✭✭
    Minno, that is a fair point. The buffing may be limited but it certainly has good debuff options for my enemy with the nightblade.
    Xbox One NA
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delta1038 wrote: »
    Minno, that is a fair point. The buffing may be limited but it certainly has good debuff options for my enemy with the nightblade.

Yea in Elder Scrolls Bards aren't the same as other RPG games. They are heavily melee oriented with emphasis on avoiding combat through their words or in stealth. In ESO, there aren't many ways to ignore combat with words (you can at least whisper your enemy in PvP ;) ). That means nightblade is your only bet at making a bard class in a way that is friendly to the elder scrolls lore.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual