The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Supplementing the Outfit System

Bordraic
Bordraic
Soul Shriven
I really like the addition of the Outfit system (though I still disagree with Outfit tokens being so expensive and bought per character rather than per account) and think it has been a great addition to the game, and yet I think it could still be made better. I'd like to give some suggestions that ZOS will hopefully see and leave this open for others to add onto.

Costumes conflict with the Outfit System, and most costumes have pieces of gear or clothing that are exclusive to those costumes: I think it'd be great to break up pieces of the costumes (shirt, pants, boots) that players already own and add them to the Outfit system to make outfits out of, just like what's already done with motifs the player knows on their characters.
As an example, I may love a shirt or an accessory on a shirt piece on the pirate costumes, and yet I don't like the boots and the pants. If this were to be implemented, I could put on my own choice of pants, boots, gloves, you name it, and then the possibility of outfits would be even greater.

We already have the option to hide helmets in the Outfit system, but we don't have one to hide other slots. It may sound silly to have the option to hide other parts of gear, but I've heard some people talking about it, especially when it comes to hiding shoulders.

I've also seen bags and pouches and even backpacks on different motifs and costumes, and I think it'd be cool to add a whole different slot to be able to add those to our outfits, despite it maybe mismatching, looking a bit off, or making horrible clipping. A big, big suggestion I've seen among players it the option to be able to wear these backpacks outside of the Treasure Hunter costume, or Breton robes, etc.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious, do you have to specify all slots in a costume in order to make a costume, or could you just specify chest, for example?
  • Opeline
    Opeline
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I would love the option to just point to something I don't like (not underthings, c'mon people, I know where your minds went) and hide them. Like the hip guards on most outfits. Or like on Fang Lair heavy chests, it comes with the armguards that I thought were with the hands, but then were laughed at over when I took gloves off and they remained.

If I could remove things like that that I didn't like in an outfit, that would be great. Because, let's be real, the khajiiti robes would look so good without the huge hip guards. It's not needed. Armor wise, sure, makes sense, but fashion it makes it hideous.
    Why are you so afraid of what others are going to say about you? ***'em and feed'em fish eggs.

Champion Rank 561

Lillith Sohineh - Imperial Werewolf Healplar
    Sonja Gaercroft - Breton Healplar
    Casnia Nightthorn - Bosmer Werewolf Stamplar
    Elsynia - Bosmer Werewolf Stamknight
    Psythanna - Altmer Magiblade
    Llalayne - Dunmer MagiKnight

Aetherian Archive HM - √, Sanctum Ophidia HM - √, Hel Ra Citadel HM - √, Dragonstar Arena - √
  • Bordraic
    Bordraic
    Soul Shriven
    @DaveMoeDee
    You can keep slots the way they are with Outfits. I think it'd be cool to be able to change our outfits around to have Costume pieces, or maybe even customize our costumes like how we'd customize our outfits.If anything, I'm thinking ZOS could just merge the two. We could probably buy Outfit system pieces in the Crown Store and ZOS could make more profit that way, just like how they do off of costume sales.
  • Bordraic
    Bordraic
    Soul Shriven
    @Opeline
    I agree with that, too, but that's changing the structure of the motif itself. Not saying I don't think it could work, because that's what I proposed too, except for adding backpacks to character's back, or pouches to belts. ZOS could probably add an option to hide hip guards on pieces, or maybe even change them around, but probably not that. Who knows?
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yerp, it would be awesome to have the option to hide any given piece of armor.

Would love to be able to hide shoulders and belts, but would also be sweet to hide chest and others as well.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bordraic wrote: »
    I really like the addition of the Outfit system (though I still disagree with Outfit tokens being so expensive and bought per character rather than per account) and think it has been a great addition to the game, and yet I think it could still be made better. I'd like to give some suggestions that ZOS will hopefully see and leave this open for others to add onto.

Costumes conflict with the Outfit System, and most costumes have pieces of gear or clothing that are exclusive to those costumes: I think it'd be great to break up pieces of the costumes (shirt, pants, boots) that players already own and add them to the Outfit system to make outfits out of, just like what's already done with motifs the player knows on their characters.
    As an example, I may love a shirt or an accessory on a shirt piece on the pirate costumes, and yet I don't like the boots and the pants. If this were to be implemented, I could put on my own choice of pants, boots, gloves, you name it, and then the possibility of outfits would be even greater.

THIS!

I've long been a huge fan of this exactly! There's so many costumes that either have a really cool piece on it, or costume that would look really cool with a couple pieces replaced. I'd absolutely LOVE if this was implemented.

For example the Priest of the Green Costume
    Priest-of-the-Green-Male-Front.jpg
    has an amazing look, but not a huge fan of the gloves & boots. Hell I wouldn't even mind taking that hood off the costume and applying it to different outfits.

I imagine it would probably take a bit of effort, and tbh I don't ever expect to actually see this implemented but boy if they did I'd be ecstatic. And I'd probably spend more crowns buying wayyyy more costumes if there was a system like this to make adjustments to the things I don't like.

EDIT: Another good example!

Arvels Ashland Attire
    Arvels-Ashland-Attire-Male-Front.jpg

Cool outfit, but I passed on buying this because I wasn't a huge fan of the pant legs. But if I could apply that cool top with a robe bottom to make a robe out of it using your system, it's an instant buy from me. There are soooo many examples of things like this. ZoS implement this system! I'd literally love to give you more money haha
    Edited by Vehlir on April 26, 2018 3:09PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wish list:

Move the tassets etc. to the waist slot, as they really do hang off the belt, not the chest piece.
    Allow any slot to be hidden in the Outfit.
    (Those two combined provides the "hide flaps" that a lot of folks want)
    Other belts options, like pouches, spell book, bunch of keys, ...
    Get rid of the four-way flaps obsession and give us more variety of styles - all-round pteryges, kilt, saddle-arch, whatever.
    Split up costumes as in OP, so their components can be used.
    Combine clothing with armour - if light armour can be cloth, then why not?

I realise that the existing stuff has to keep working, so some of that may already be ruled out, but I can hope.
  • Bordraic
    Bordraic
    Soul Shriven
    @Vehlir Man, I'm in the same situation, actually. There's always really awesome costumes with a simple detail that sort of wrecks it for me, or there's a really awesome part with an average rest of the costume. If outfits or even other costumes could be customized with different parts of already existing costumes, and motifs, then as I said, there's limitless possibilities!

This would especially be good for the roleplaying community of ESO, and this being an Elder Scrolls game, there's quite a big community. Also helps that ZOS openly backs the roleplaying community as well (hey, thanks for that, ZOS, you guys are a-okay in my book).
  • Bordraic
    Bordraic
    Soul Shriven
    @ghastley I can definitely get behind making small parts of the motif (like hip flaps and groin/butt covering flaps of armor) being hideable, and I've heard plenty of people also suggest this, though I'm not sure it'd be easy, as we all know.

I definitely also think we need more clothing options! I love that ZOS added stealable NPC clothing in an update way back (probably two or more years ago now), and I've seen plenty of players use the clothing, however it's always equipt via the inventory rather than the outfit system. I think it'd be cool to have the NPC clothing added to the Outfit system upon pickup in inventory. I'd also think it cool if we got more of the clothing outfits available to us that ZOS has not yet released.
  • TaigaStrider
    TaigaStrider
    ✭✭✭
    @Bordraic, I noticed in the original post you mentioned that you "still disagree with Outfit tokens being so expensive and bought per character rather than per account." While I myself am uncertain about mixing and matching outfit parts, I can certainly get on board with you about the tokens. 1500 crowns for a single slot on a single character is quite expensive. And as a roleplayer who creates and deletes a lot of alternate characters, creating multiple outfits for any character other than my main can get exponentially expensive and wastes money. That's why I have been crafting most of my outfits, despite the implementation of the new outfit system. The hassle of continuously buying outfit slots just isn't worth it. I would hope that ZOS makes changes to this in the future; if so, I'd happily buy up all the extra slots once I had the extra money.

In addition, weapon dyeing being exclusive to the outfit system is also an annoyance, especially if I try swapping to a different class of weapon while trying to use the outfit (For example, from a bow and daggers to a greatsword). I lose my colors. I was wondering if it could be possible to add weapon dyeing to the conventional dyeing system for normal gear?
    In-Game Username - @WanderMyst
    EP Roleplayer
    Primary RP Guild: House Tavari

Nahrani - Khajiit - Melancholic and Conservative Dres Slave
    Hugs-Like-Steel - Argonian - Dres Hireling & Ex-Telvanni Battlemage with Power Issues
    Xul-Deelith - Argonian - Fate-Cursed Archein & Dres Vanguard
    Tarvyn Verelnim - Dunmer - Idealistic Imperial City Survivor & Indoril Mercenary
    Shanji Marsh-Boots - Khajiit - Marsh-Rot-Afflicted Former AD Vanguard in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Ja'Khari - Khajiit - Child-Prodigy Marsh Cartographer & Information Broker
    Nelanwen the Raven - Altmer - Narcissistic Former AD Sentry in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Twendil - Altmer - Former AD Shiphand in Operation Merciful Reduction & Shanty-Singing Operator of the Happy Hulkynd
    Cotter Georick - Breton - Simple-Minded Miner
    Celsus Scotti - Imperial - Overweight, Embezzling, Pacifistic, Alteration-Casting Imperial Geographical Society Member
    Mouse - Khajiit - Former AD Assassin in Operation Merciful Reduction & Skooma-Addicted Beggar
    Parvus Viro - Imperial/Bosmer - A Very Short Resolute of Stendarr and Apologist of Man

"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible." - Farengar Secret-Fire
  • Bordraic
    Bordraic
    Soul Shriven
    @TaigaStrider I definitely can agree with that! I think the present price for Outfit slots would be okay if they were account-wide, though they are per character, and 1500 per slot, for a max of 8, which would be 12000 crowns per character if you're one to have a lot of outfits. Pretty crazy if per character, but more understandable if for the whole account, and won't be deleted with the character. Alternatively, I think it'd be a good idea to just simply lower the price by a lot (maybe 200, 300, 400 crowns?), and then ZOS could keep it at per character if they like. Though I'd much rather it be account-wide.

Weapon dyeing I'm sure all of us were excited about, even if it it was stuck to the outfit system. I don't think ZOS will change that, but making it in dye stations for those who want it that way would also be a cool thing to do. Also, whether this is outfit station or not, I'd like to see enchantments for look (like sparks, or fire, or ice without the actual enchantment on the sword via glyphs), and also the option to take away those effects.
  • Nuketastic2300
    @Bordraic I agree with a lot of that. On the subject of the tokens and such for how to get outfit slots, I feel maybe they should do something similar to how SWTOR handles theirs. Each character gets one outfits slot to begin with, free. After that, there's a choice. They can either A. pay with in-game gold for additional slots, cost going up as more slots are purchased, and this will be limited to just that character, B. pay a small fee, say 500 crowns, for an additional outfit slot that will also be restricted to just that one character, or finally option C. a larger fee, say 1500 crowns for an additional outfit slot that will be account-wide, meaning all characters get that slot.
  • TaigaStrider
    TaigaStrider
    ✭✭✭
    @Nuketastic2300, I like this idea.
    In-Game Username - @WanderMyst
    EP Roleplayer
    Primary RP Guild: House Tavari

Nahrani - Khajiit - Melancholic and Conservative Dres Slave
    Hugs-Like-Steel - Argonian - Dres Hireling & Ex-Telvanni Battlemage with Power Issues
    Xul-Deelith - Argonian - Fate-Cursed Archein & Dres Vanguard
    Tarvyn Verelnim - Dunmer - Idealistic Imperial City Survivor & Indoril Mercenary
    Shanji Marsh-Boots - Khajiit - Marsh-Rot-Afflicted Former AD Vanguard in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Ja'Khari - Khajiit - Child-Prodigy Marsh Cartographer & Information Broker
    Nelanwen the Raven - Altmer - Narcissistic Former AD Sentry in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Twendil - Altmer - Former AD Shiphand in Operation Merciful Reduction & Shanty-Singing Operator of the Happy Hulkynd
    Cotter Georick - Breton - Simple-Minded Miner
    Celsus Scotti - Imperial - Overweight, Embezzling, Pacifistic, Alteration-Casting Imperial Geographical Society Member
    Mouse - Khajiit - Former AD Assassin in Operation Merciful Reduction & Skooma-Addicted Beggar
    Parvus Viro - Imperial/Bosmer - A Very Short Resolute of Stendarr and Apologist of Man

"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible." - Farengar Secret-Fire
  • Bordraic
    Bordraic
    Soul Shriven
    @Nuketastic2300, I think that'd be a great solution to the problem. ZOS could still make money, and everyone would be happy. I just hope they're watching this little thread for our suggestions.
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have the option to hide the hip guard, it always ends up clipping with my daggers!
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos