The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Improving Dungeon Queue

KwarcPL
KwarcPL
✭✭✭
Topic of this week on r/elderscrollsonline are *** on raids. Casuals are accussing high cp farmers of elitarism while high cp farmers have a grudge on casuals for slowing them down. It's sd and counterproductive when players are arguing about each other. So I believe we need to do something with that. I was thinking about that and here are solution I came up with:

1) Highlighting whan queue you are in: We hace virtually no indicators on if you re waiting for normal or vet and that's why sometimes we re ending with sittuations like 'So it's veteran? Ups...'.
2) Splitting Veteran Mode into two: Some players want challange and fun. Some want drops, exp and best runs. So maybe we should create Veteran Submode. I don't know, Challanger Mode or Expert Mode? It would be only for High CP Players, so Speedrunners and Farmers would be certain they'll got good team. And casuals could play on standard Vet on their own pace.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) there's a function on the group tab for whether you are queuing for vet or normal (the shields) plus the page for random normal and random vet clearly says normal or vet. Specific dungeon queues are even more obvious. Honestly, if someone is paying attention, its not hard to queue for the correct difficulty. Yeah, "Oops!" moments happen, but it's not because the game doesn't give players enough indicators.

2) I'm not sure that seperate queues are needed when a little communication about goals could suffice. Thing is, if someone has a goal for that run, they can either run with random (who might have their own goal) or they can form their own group from zone or guild to meet that goal. That's a solution that works for both the "I just wanna have fun/challenge" types, the casuals, the elitists, the farmers, and the speedrunners.
    Edited by VaranisArano on April 25, 2018 12:35PM
  • KwarcPL
    KwarcPL
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that seperate queues are needed when a little communication about goals could suffice.

But it would be communication apostpriori and I'm thinking about communication apriori. Because current method is generating too much grunge.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KwarcPL wrote: »
    I'm not sure that seperate queues are needed when a little communication about goals could suffice.

But it would be communication apostpriori and I'm thinking about communication apriori. Because current method is generating too much grunge.

I understand that the current method has its issues, namely that people join random groups and then expect the group to conform with their goals.

I still dont think replacing communication with labeled queues is a good answer. The answer we already have is adequate: form your own group in guild or zone to pursue your goals if the random group finder isn't going to satisfy your needs. Yes, that answer requires extra communication and being social with other players in an MMO, but that sort of comes with the territory. I tend toward the philosophy of "By signing up for a random group, you agreed to run with what you got. If you didnt want that, you should have made your own group."

I also dont think splitting the queues is a good thing for the game. Oh, it might solve some -not all, but some- of the communication issues that random players who randomly grouped might face. But it will also stratify the dungeons in terms of ability, and ZOS can't design dungeons for both casual casuals and the hardcorest of the hardcore. That's the situation ZOS was facing before Morrowind. Trials teams were blowing through their hardest content and calling it easy, so ZOS either had to design hard content that casuals weren't going to be able to do or...well, ZOS nerfed sustain across the board to address power creep instead and that problem doesnt happen anymore.

Once you've picked normal or vet, mixing hardcore players, elitists, casuals, just-for-fun players, and newbies is a benefit for ZOS. It keeps power creep in check, it keeps the player base more cohesive, and it makes it easier to balance dungeons for the average player.

And as long as the player base can handle getting random players with different goals when they queue for a random group or form their own group for specific goals if they can't handle it, it works fine. The problem here is players and how they act, not the queue system.