The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Solo-thieving dungeon chests?

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
The recent flood of transmutation stones made me wish I had more dungeon-drop weapons to transmute, such as an SPC resto staff or a lightning staff of the Worm Cult.

Obviously, one can just run the dungeons to get them -- VoM is particularly easy. However, an alternative could be to just take my best thief character and try to open some chests with little or no fighting. So how practical is that? I can run through most delves and public dungeons with minimal fighting, as long as I don't get careless and physically bump into a mob. But I haven't tested the same tactics in dungeons.

There are chest-farming videos for City of Ash 1, which makes sense because the chest spawn points are easy to get to -- relatively near the entrance, and not behind any particular locked doors. I presume you made need to kill mobs near the chests, but otherwise you hopefully can sneak freely. Otherwise:
  • To get through Banished Cells 1 you need to kill Shadowrend for the door to open to the rest of the dungeon. Otherwise I'm guessing it's just a matter of navigating crowded corridors.
  • In Vaults of Madness I imagine one can zoom past the first couple of bosses. From Grothdarr on, however, they look like they'll insist on fighting you. Has anybody tested this?
  • Is it necessary to fight the Adjudicator in White-Gold Tower? (E.g. because of a door unlock mechanism?) How about the triple boss? For that matter, how about the Planar Inhibitor?
Yeah, I'm particularly concerned with healing-oriented sets. :)

My thieving build, by the way, starts:
  • Bosmer nightblade (Khajiit would work as well)
  • 3 piece Night Terror on my movement bar (5 piece Night Mother's Embrace would work as well)
  • 5 piece Night Silence (being a vampire would work as well)
  • Plenty of passive skill points and CP to buff sneak
The three key skills on my movement bar are:
  • Retreating Maneuvers, hit frequently
  • Concealed Weapon for the passive speed boost
  • Shadowy Disguise for when I'm going through tight places
Otherwise the build is optimized for the combat I do occasionally stumble into.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For White Gold Tower, I recommend buying key fragments and farming the vault instead. High chance for jewellery and weapons in there.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    For White Gold Tower, I recommend buying key fragments and farming the vault instead. High chance for jewellery and weapons in there.

Interesting idea.

How many key fragments does it take?
    Which sets can drop? (Can one force SPC, or is it all 3 of the WGT sets?)
    What quality of gear drops? (Relevant for jewelry for, I imagine, some time after Summerset's introduction.)
    Where's the vault? :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all 3 of the Sets for WGT, and the same for ICP.

It takes 150 Key Fragments to make one key. You can buy fragments for an typical price of around 100 Gold each or 20K per stack. So, 3 stacks will net you 4 Keys.

Each key gives you two items. All item drops are Purple.
    Edited by Nestor on April 24, 2018 11:12AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

It takes 150 Key Fragments to make one key. You can buy fragments for an typical price of around 100 Gold each or 20K per stack. So, 3 stacks will net you 6 Keys.

So 7,500 gold per item, or 22,500 per SPC set item. (Assuming 100 gold per fragment.)

About what fraction would you say are weapons? How about jewelry?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent 500,000 gold to get the final SPC Ring and Necklace I needed. I still only have one staff.

So, your not saving any time really, your just avoiding the Vet Dungeon Pugs. You will need to put in the time to grind for the gold.

And, no its not gold per SPC Item, it is per item, and your pulling from 3 sets and there are 7 armors, 3 jewelry and 14 weapons and shield in the mix.
    Edited by Nestor on April 24, 2018 11:14AM

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes 150 Key Fragments to make one key. You can buy fragments for an typical price of around 100 Gold each or 20K per stack. So, 3 stacks will net you 6 Keys.

Ahem... 3 stack = 600 keys
    600/150 = 4 keys; not 6 :-)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fix me a pot of coffee and you get more accurate math this early in the morning.....

Edited by Nestor on April 24, 2018 11:13AM

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fix me a pot of coffee and you get more accurate math this early in the morning.....

There you go :)

72248.jpg

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent 500,000 gold to get the final SPC Ring and Necklace I needed. I still only have one staff.

So, your not saving any time really, your just avoiding the Vet Dungeon Pugs. You will need to put in the time to grind for the gold.

And, no its not gold per SPC Item, it is per item, and your pulling from 3 sets and there are 7 armors, 3 jewelry and 14 weapons and shield in the mix.

If it's X gold/item, and there are 3 sets, then on average it should be 3X gold per item from the one set you care about.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You need weapons and jewelry, has never gotten any blue spc jewelry outside of the named necklace and I have farmed it on normal for armor a lot. has plenty of jewelry but only one resto staff, luckily the shock staff is an named drop.
    Armor is easy to get now as you can transmute.
    You can also go for lich / worm jewelry as its easy to farm on vet.
    Edited by zaria on April 25, 2018 5:40PM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.