The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

innate axiom vs sun set (for magDK's) and war maiden (for magblade)

MrDenimChicken
MrDenimChicken
✭✭✭✭✭
can someone explain magblades go for war maiden over innate axiom and magdks go for sun set over innate axiom?

Seems like innate axiom would also benefit magDK heals, and innate axiom would also benefit magblades who use Incap (since its not spell dmg, but still a class ability)
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually run both Innate Axiom and Silks of the Sun on my mDK. Pair it with Valkyn Skoria and you're good to go.

For Magblades- it really all depends on your build. I gank a lot- so I have to rely on Rattlecage for my Major Sorcery buff- so I pair it with War Maiden (only because I have a gold necklace). Luckily, you can get Rattlecage jewelry in Arcane... so, you can wear 5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy.

This next patch is going to change everything, though. You'll be able to combine crafted sets... so the possibilities are endless.

I'm still going to run Innate, Silks, and Valkyn on my mDK. (maaaaybe Innate + Shacklebreaker)

For Magblade, though, it's really going to depend on your playstyle. Remember- Magblades can run all heavy armor AND get dodge buffs from Mirage. Tanky, Dodgy, and still have some decent spell damage.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as i remember is spinners the best damage set for magblades in pvp. The reason behind using spinners, warmaiden or silk of the sun over axiom is, that you need all those sets only on one bar, while its better to keep the last boni of axiom always active. Since most magblades use a destro and resto, a set which only needs to be frontbarred can make 5/5/2 setups possible: an example would be 5 spinners on frontbar and 5 lich backbar, so there is still room for a full monsterset like skoria. The same goes for warmaiden. Both sets mostly boost your damage, but not your healing, so the last bonus isnt used on the healing staff. Therefore you can complete another 5 piece set on the backbar like lich or wizards riposte. It is similar to the magdk and silk of the sun: if you slot all your fire abilities on one bar, you enhance them all by wearing silk of the sun only on that bar. But the last bonus isnt needed on the other bar, if there are no fire abilities. So once again this makes up room for different setup styles like sword and shield plus resto, while you can have one whole set always active and sun only on the damage bar. In this case sun is better than axiom, since the other boni are better. Same goes for spinners and warmaiden. In the end axiom is very good, if you keep it active all the time, because it may also buff your healings like dragon blood as a magdk. But a magnb heals with healing ward mostly, which isnt affected by axiom. Those are the reason why other sets are used more than axiom.
    Ah btw another set to only have backbarred would also be the craftable set eyes of mara, which reduces the cost of resto staves abilities (also the ultimate).
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    As much as i remember is spinners the best damage set for magblades in pvp. The reason behind using spinners, warmaiden or silk of the sun over axiom is, that you need all those sets only on one bar, while its better to keep the last boni of axiom always active. Since most magblades use a destro and resto, a set which only needs to be frontbarred can make 5/5/2 setups possible: an example would be 5 spinners on frontbar and 5 lich backbar, so there is still room for a full monsterset like skoria. The same goes for warmaiden. Both sets mostly boost your damage, but not your healing, so the last bonus isnt used on the healing staff. Therefore you can complete another 5 piece set on the backbar like lich or wizards riposte. It is similar to the magdk and silk of the sun: if you slot all your fire abilities on one bar, you enhance them all by wearing silk of the sun only on that bar. But the last bonus isnt needed on the other bar, if there are no fire abilities. So once again this makes up room for different setup styles like sword and shield plus resto, while you can have one whole set always active and sun only on the damage bar. In this case sun is better than axiom, since the other boni are better. Same goes for spinners and warmaiden. In the end axiom is very good, if you keep it active all the time, because it may also buff your healings like dragon blood as a magdk. But a magnb heals with healing ward mostly, which isnt affected by axiom. Those are the reason why other sets are used more than axiom.
    Ah btw another set to only have backbarred would also be the craftable set eyes of mara, which reduces the cost of resto staves abilities (also the ultimate).

dude war maiden adds 400 dmg to magic dmg, innate axiom adds 400 dmg to class skills. So why would you need innate on both bars when they do the same thing? the only difference is, that 400 from the innate axiom might also affect other skills, like Incap for example (war maiden doesnt buff incap since incap is not magic dmg, but innate axiom does buff incap since its a class skill). like they do the same exact thing, but innate also buffs incap. so you could wear it front bar as well and have it help your incap AND your concealed weapon or swallow soul or whatever dmg skills you have on main bar.

like the only argument i can see for using war maiden over axiom even for just main bar is that you like the first 4 set bonuses more than the first 4 set bonuses of innate.
    Edited by MrDenimChicken on April 25, 2018 5:35AM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MrDenimChicken
    You may be bad at reading mate.
    I said that warmaiden, sun and spinners are mostly used frontbar, since you place your damage skills all on the frontbar, while backbar is for healing up. Innate axiom is mostly used on both bars, since it not only buffs damage abilities, but also the healing ones. In the case of a nb, i wouldnt go for innate axiom at all, because its other boni are outshined by the ones of other sets. The last boni isnt much difference damagewise, but innate will not help healing, since nightblades mostly rely on healing ward, damage shields, mutagen, etc, therefore not one of the damage sets mentioned above is buffing those skills, so go for spinners or warmaiden, since they have better boni than axiom. When i said that axiom mostly is used on both bars (nightblades excluded, because they actually dont use axiom because of just stated reasons), then i referred to the classes like magdk, magplar, magwarden, etc. They use class abilities to heal up (breath of life, coagulating blood, fungal growth), which are buffed by axiom. So there it makes sense to have axioms last bonus active at all time.
    Pls read posts clearly through and dont interpret stuff, which isnt written.
    Edited by Checkmath on April 25, 2018 7:30AM