The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Magicka DK sustain pve

LegendaryOaks
LegendaryOaks
✭✭✭
I recently completed vcoa2 for the first time and I got a divines light armor Valkyn skoria hat. I took this as a sign to go back to my magicka dk. I respec it and i can do like 20k dps with Julianos and will power, but only on the precursor. On the 3m target dummy I literally cannot kill it without running out of magicka.

How do I sustain a bit easier with this class? I'm using essence of magicka, battle roar and I'm still running out
Full Time Shitposter
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mix some heavy attacks into your rotation
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • jkolb2030
    jkolb2030
    ✭✭✭
    For a 3m parse on a magdk you need ele drain, lightning wall w/ off balance proc, and probably someone throwing you bubbles in order to sustain right now... Magdk sustain is absolute garbage since the Morrowind patch because of their high cost abilities.

Ele drain - gives you magic back for each light attack you land on the enemy with the debuff
    Off balance - procs your power lash, which is free to use when proc'd
    Orbs - pop them on cool down to get a resource boost + small regen
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jkolb2030 wrote: »
    ... Magdk sustain is absolute garbage since the Morrowind patch because of their high cost abilities.

Hopefully we shall see this change/improve come SS?
    Edited by Joxer61 on April 23, 2018 3:06PM
  • jkolb2030
    jkolb2030
    ✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

Hopefully we shall see this change/improve come SS?

It is supposedly better, but we will see how much better when SS actually drops.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few suggestions:
    - get someone to apply Elemental Drain on the target, or apply it yourself - you can replace Harness Magicka with Elemental Drain for dummy parses since nothing will hit you
    - use Whichmother's Potent Brew instead of blue health+magicka food - Skoria gives 1p health, which allows you to stay at 17K HP even when using that consumable
    - rotations that feature only light attacks are meant for running with a very supportive group: elemental drain applied, orbs/shards, Worm's Raiment etc. so they are not workable when running solo or with PuG.
    - do 1-2 heavy attacks per rotation, especially if you run Molten Armaments for Major Sorcery, since that will buff heavy attack damage by 40%.
    - weave light attacks with every skill otherwise, since they're free damage and will add ~5K DPS to your rotation.
    - Precursor has 312K HP, same as dungeon mobs. It's irrelevant for any kind of rotation. 3M can also be "cheesed" quite easily; if you can't even kill that without running out of magicka then your damage is probably very low. Any sort workable rotation needs to be tested on the 6M dummy or higher, if you go with your dungeon/trial group.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know your pain.

I was stuck at 20K dps for a long time.. I was slowly increasing that dps as my CP went up.. I am now at 25K at max cp.

I have Julianos and BSW but Julianos + Sun is very close. (You can just buy the Silks of the set)
    The trick is that with BSW I use 1pc Grothdar but with Sun I use 1 pc Slimeclaw/iceheart for more crit. Using a full monster set isn't really worth it until next patch.

Asardes suggestions are good.

You can actually slot full heavy attacks into your rotation. Basically you start putting them in almost every second loop (when you reapply your eruption and flames of oblivion dot). However, whenever your dragonknight standard ultimate is up you just spam whip until its over for maximum damage during its damage amp then back into a rotation.

Look at the length your damage over time abilities go for then put them into your bar and rotation to maximise uptime.
    Also don't forget you need a destruction staff ability slotted for the 8% extra damage from the destruction staff passive.

For Summerset my DPS has gone up by 4k, but the new jewellery traits don't actually improve dps so if you don't get the chapter you aren't missing out. (I tested them)
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    MagDK has the most OP sustain out there!
    The problem is people want to run all these expensive skills. Here's a 35K+ rotation with ZERO pots.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOGDhCj9gE
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • LegendaryOaks
    LegendaryOaks
    ✭✭✭

pizzaow wrote: »
    The problem is people want to run all these expensive skills. Here's a 35K+ rotation with ZERO pots.

Are you using any special sets or just moon dancer/bsw?
    Full Time Shitposter
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably elegant with vma lightning staff.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found it sufficient to add one heavy attack toward the end of the rotation while elemental drain is applied.
  • LegendaryOaks
    LegendaryOaks
    ✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

He's using mechanical acuity maelstrom lightning and moon dancer. Idk how he hits that high because I tried it and I average around 15k. Of course I'm using purple staves, bsw, willpower, and no maelstrom. But i don't think that those would make a 20k difference
    Edited by LegendaryOaks on April 24, 2018 11:57AM
    Full Time Shitposter
  • AEAltadoonPadhome
    AEAltadoonPadhome
    ✭✭✭
    He's using mechanical acuity maelstrom lightning and moon dancer. Idk how he hits that high because I tried it and I average around 15k. Of course I'm using purple staves, bsw, willpower, and no maelstrom. But i don't think that those would make a 20k difference

Using gold staves is a huge difference, as well as vma. Willpower is not a huge difference. I'd say the gear could give you maybe a 5-10k increase, the rest is rotation practice. Having a better rotation of course is multiplicative with good gear so a bad rotation with good gear or a good rotation with bad gear is not really comparable to good rotation and good gear.

Also I assume here you are altmer dk with max cp and all passives. Having the right CP setup is also important.

Spamming only heavy attacks should give you at least 10k dps. Combining that with wall should put you above 13k.

Also, he's using 2p zaan.
    Note btw that mechanical acuity is only good for top rotations. If you are practicing you should use BSW or Julianos.
    Edited by AEAltadoonPadhome on April 24, 2018 2:19PM
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭

He looks to be using Mech Acuity, Zaan’s monster set, and most likely 3 piece IA/Moondancer with a Moondancer lightning and could be Maelstrom inferno (or vice- versa).

Until Summerset, I think DK’s will need to run one inferno/one lightning to be able to sustain. Once Combustion is changed, they will get 500mana back whenever burning procs, so more feasible for inferno/inferno.

Also, while Zaan’s will give you incredibly high numbers on a target dummy (especially with engulfing flames), group settings you’re better off using Llambris if running lightning/inferno (can proc twice, one for each element). Zaan’s perhaps just on boss fights.

MagDK is far from dead. But you’ll always need to be close, like at stam dps range. Burning embers/engulfing flames/trap beast (until the Mag version comes out Summerset), are all close range. Possibly whip, but only if you have reliable off-balance procs.

The parse above is good, especially w/o pots. But you’ll already have major sorcery from Molten, and spell crit from Magelight/Flames of Oblivion, so you can pop just trash mana pots for Magicka return.

DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭

Yes, using Mech Acuity, Zaan, maelstrom backbar and 4pc moondancer (I show my gear/traits at the end of the video), and he's an Altmer.

... I tried elegance and was very disappointed. However, Julianos or BSW work well as an alternate 5 piece; And willpower, moondancer, IA or martial knowledge all work well as a 4 piece. Zaan will be the best monster helm for single target, but I will switch to illambris if there is a lot of trash, or skoria if I need the extra health (either of those is probably a 2k drop in DPS).

As others have said, the gold staffs make a difference and the maelstrom staff is also a big win - each rotation has 2 full heavy attacks, where each tick gets buffed by the maelstrom staff. The good news is that its only on the back bar, so you could use a fire (or ice) maelstrom staff if that's all you have. You can still make it work without maelstrom.

Most important is the rotation, which I like because heavy attacks are slow and give you a little rest...

Prefight: Molten armaments -> elemental susceptibility -> Flames of Oblivion (FoO) -> trap -> ult

Back bar: Wall of Elements -> LA -> Eruption <swap>
    Front bar: HA -> Burning Embers -> HA -> Engulfing flames <swap>
    Back bar 2: Wall of Elements -> LA -> FoO <swap>
    Front bar 2: HA -> Burning Embers -> HA -> Engulfing flames -> -> la -> trap <swap>

Cast Molten Armaments when < 10 seconds left and ults when they come up

The back bar should be as quick as possible; notice you are just alternating between FoO and Eruption, the rest is the same.

Front bar is stupid easy, you can literally hold HA the entire time... if you press a skill mid heavy attack the skill will fire at the end of the HA, then begin your second heavy attack. While channeling your attacks you have time to check your buffs and see if you should recast Molten Armaments or if your ult is ready.
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • Cybercore_Death
    Cybercore_Death
    ✭✭✭

Yes, using Mech Acuity, Zaan, maelstrom backbar and 4pc moondancer (I show my gear/traits at the end of the video), and he's an Altmer.

... I tried elegance and was very disappointed. However, Julianos or BSW work well as an alternate 5 piece; And willpower, moondancer, IA or martial knowledge all work well as a 4 piece. Zaan will be the best monster helm for single target, but I will switch to illambris if there is a lot of trash, or skoria if I need the extra health (either of those is probably a 2k drop in DPS).

As others have said, the gold staffs make a difference and the maelstrom staff is also a big win - each rotation has 2 full heavy attacks, where each tick gets buffed by the maelstrom staff. The good news is that its only on the back bar, so you could use a fire (or ice) maelstrom staff if that's all you have. You can still make it work without maelstrom.

Most important is the rotation, which I like because heavy attacks are slow and give you a little rest...

Prefight: Molten armaments -> elemental susceptibility -> Flames of Oblivion (FoO) -> trap -> ult

Back bar: Wall of Elements -> LA -> Eruption <swap>
    Front bar: HA -> Burning Embers -> HA -> Engulfing flames <swap>
    Back bar 2: Wall of Elements -> LA -> FoO <swap>
    Front bar 2: HA -> Burning Embers -> HA -> Engulfing flames -> -> la -> trap <swap>

Cast Molten Armaments when < 10 seconds left and ults when they come up

The back bar should be as quick as possible; notice you are just alternating between FoO and Eruption, the rest is the same.

Front bar is stupid easy, you can literally hold HA the entire time... if you press a skill mid heavy attack the skill will fire at the end of the HA, then begin your second heavy attack. While channeling your attacks you have time to check your buffs and see if you should recast Molten Armaments or if your ult is ready.

Awesome as always man. Good to see you keeping the MagDK dream alive :-)

How are your CP's looking at the moment?

I made a temp change to StamDK since the off balance changes but i'll be changing back to Mag come Summerset
    I'm a Dunmer DK Damage Dealer - My that's a lot of D's
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently completed vcoa2 for the first time and I got a divines light armor Valkyn skoria hat. I took this as a sign to go back to my magicka dk. I respec it and i can do like 20k dps with Julianos and will power, but only on the precursor. On the 3m target dummy I literally cannot kill it without running out of magicka.

How do I sustain a bit easier with this class? I'm using essence of magicka, battle roar and I'm still running out

One been using @boonr 's build...here me last night in a random pug: https://youtu.be/nNa7wQSQlxU

Orbs/balance really help with sustain
  • SupremeRissole
    SupremeRissole
    ✭✭✭✭
    5/1/1, 1 health glyph, witchmothers brew, 1 recovery glyph + ele drain

Will get you 35k without a single heavy attack