The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorc 1vX Levelling Query

Iziquiel
Iziquiel
✭✭
Hi, since coming back to ESO I have been bouncing around a few classes trying to find a playstyle that I enjoy. So far Stamblade and Magplar I am enjoying the most but I have a MagSorc from the first time I played the game, which I logged into the other day to give a go as I have seen recommendations that its a good class for solo play.

I'm not keen on using pets (not in any game) and so put together a build without pets and went out and found that I really struggled in 1vX situations, partly because its been so long since I played the class I don't remember what most of the skills do and partly because I was struggling to keep mobs off me and I was forgetting to keep my shield up.

Can anyone give some advice on 1vX play as a solo MagSorc without pets i.e. what skills should I be using (should I be using encase or rune prison?) and general play style to aim for?

Thanks
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would focus on area damage like liquid lightning and wall of elements. just let the mobs walk into it and kite them, so they always stand in the damage area. then just keep up shields and do some heavy attacks with a lightning staff. with a decent amount of crit and the skill crit surge, you dont have to think about healing, just lay down those two aoes and shield up and heavy attack, that should be enough to kill everything. if you dont like to kite that much, add mines, put them onto the huge aoe you have and let the enemies walk into it.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find mag sorcs to be a little harder to solo than other classes. I mean...they put out a ton of dps, but they can get overrun.

Some skills you’ll probably want:

Force pulse (destro). This is a cheap spam attack that is ranged and does decent damage.
    Wall of elements (destro). This aoe will help you take down mobs and not be banged up on.
    Liquid lightning: another aoe

Use these as secondary attacks behind your core dps skills - haunting curse and crystal frags. (You get a double cast on curse now...so learn not to pull it until you get both explosions)

For defense you can slot bound aegis if you need it. Or hardened ward. Harness magicka is very good too. And on your attack bar, I recommend slotting inner light. You get more max magic and major prophesy, which is going to really boost your damage.

If you don’t find that you enjoy the play style of a mag sorc, maybe try a stam sorc. They’re pretty fun, and I find their attack style way easier than mag sorc. If your mag sorc is a vet, then maybe pay and recast him to give it a try. Don’t worry about whether he’s a stam race...you can give it a try and if you love it roll and level a new character that is a stamina race. Or start a stam sorc fresh. They’ll play a bit like your stamblade, just not stealthy and ten times tankier.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Step 1-get power surge

Step 2- use a lightning staff

Step 3- heavy attack with said staff

Step 4- profit
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I think the plsystyle may be the issue - I prefer to fight as a melee class and be quite tanky (like with my templar) or stealthy (NB - plus I love ambush)

I do have a Stamsorc from last time as well. I did enjoy it but then I think I changed to 2H/Bow got a bit frustrated with the slowness of wrecking blow and it was about that time I had to stop playing the game. I may pick it up again with DW and try again.

In terms of solo survivability I assume Sorc is better than NB (as stamina)
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorc kinda sucks now without a masters destro staff.