The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ok, time for Stamsorc questions 101

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I have hounded these forums on just about every class so why not a Stamsorc, right? Gee, can ya tell I'm new yet (returning after 3 1/2yrs)??....so anyways....Most the builds have DW as the go to, and that's cool and fun but question is...with the changes to 2H come SS is DW even going to be a thing? Should I invest the learning into 2H now or you all reckon DW/bow is still going to be a strong option for the class? Again, pve here. I saw Alcast had a 2H build and claimed its petty good so just wanted to again go to the masses and see what the deal is. Cheers all!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PVE, I'd still recommend DW/Bow. 2hander has more utility in PVP.

However, if you are comfortable leveling a stam sorc, (I have 3, I keep coming back to stam sorc) I'd level all 3 skill lines by putting a skill from each weapon line on my active bar.
    Edited by VaranisArano on April 22, 2018 4:17PM
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

However, if you are comfortable leveling a stam sorc, (I have 3, I keep coming back to stam sorc) I'd level all 3 skill lines by putting a skill from each weapon line on my active bar.

Thank you! Awesome advice as I had forgotten that you can do that!
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    DW/Bow will remain the "meta" for PVE stamDPS. 2H is getting a small buff being able to equip 2 5piece set bonuses plus 2piece Monster (same as current DW) but it's the weapon skills that actually make DW for PVE and 2H for PVP, sustained vs burst DPS respectively (in a nutshell).
    Note: I run a 2H/bow stamsorc in PVE. It is totally viable, just not "Meta"
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my stam sorc. Since you’ve been gone, they’ve gotten much better. Part of that might be the CP system, which helps round out characters and has brought their dps way up.

Anyway, I would advise leveling bow, dw and 2h on a New stam Sorc. All three are viable, fun and have their uses. I think dw will stick around as the meta attack bar...the abilities are very good. And they provide some decent heals...one area where maybe a stam sorc falls a bit short.

Re: leveling skills. You indeed level weapon skill lines and class skill lines by having abilities from that line on your bar, even if it’s a different weapon and creates a wasted slot. However, just be advised that doing grinds for skills is a LOT less important now. When a character gets to vet, they are eligible to take the “enlightenment xp” you get each day.

Enlightenment is a “catch up mechanism”. It grants you 400,000 xp per day at 4x the normal rate. In other words, a quest worth 10k or a kill worth 1.5k become worth 40k/6k. Your account will stack up to 4.8 million enlightenment xp (12 days worth). Enlightenment is designed to help you earn champion points faster and keep up with the herd.

But it can also be used for mega skill line leveling. If you get to vet and have some lines/skills that fall behind, slot them and burn the enlightenment with some easy dailies (or even crafting writs). When I level a new character, in a week of enlightenment I can get every xp based line and skill to fifty. So don’t feel you have to put too much time into grinding skills. Once you get to vet, they’ll all max out quickly.
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to disagree that stamsorcs would have any issues with healing. A stamsorc beginner or someone intending to solo dungeons can do so completely off of crit surge alone. It's a very good ability that gives free healing, a nice damage buff, and can synergize well with burst healing from dark deal/vigor if necessary. A 2h player can also use rally. All of those in PVE is overkill anyways.

2h have the advantage of Brawler to make up for the lack of blade cloak. A scaling shield that improves more against more enemies can be very impressive, and on top of that blade cloak dps took a pretty big hit, so it's theoretically a viable choice now. It's too bad that morph with minor heroism can't be more of an option, but stamina lacks shielding and in melee they're generally not as safe as ranged magicka DPS running annulment.

Uppercut is a slow spammable though. Empower changes might make this a stronger option, but since it's slow it may cut your dps more so than using DW's shrouded dagger. Also dagger has a much wider aoe radius than what the 2h passive gives. But changes to empower can still be appealing for single target.

Stamina changes to light/heavy attacks may also make 2h do more damage. Patch notes are saying that stamina weapons are weaker now though, but when I used to use 2h on my stamplar pve dps, heavy attacks would hit for 20k on a crit. That was before golding, 5-5-2, buffing, etc. Stamsorc will soon have bound armaments be a buff to LAs now instead of heavies, but the same statement goes. Empower + LA buffs + bound armaments makes 2h very synergistic with the stam sorc.

Also execute is just good all around.

Honestly if you feel yourself gravitating more towards 2h, I don't see why you shouldn't try. Certain stam toons probably wouldn't benefit as much, but I feel like there's a lot of added value next patch to that build path and it's definitely something to consider if DW isn't as appealing to you.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to disagree on this point. 2H offers next to no benefit over DW in PvP because it’s so clunky and especially next patch when it’s LA and HA gets nerfed and DW LA gets buffed. Defensive rune is soooo much better in PvP than dizzying swing for a cc. It protects you from ganks and ranged attackers and is very reliable. Plus it’s passive as the enemy essentially applies it to themselves. Defensive rune is also undodgeable and unblockbale and being able to circumvent block is a really good thing. The bleeds from dw also go theough block. As Ive said many times before, 2h is good against one type of player, complete noobs. It’s burst power is unparalleled but only if your opponent doesn’t know anything or you get lucky. It’s also a terrible weapon if your latency is anything but perfect. Plus stam sorcs naturally synergize well with dots and dots tend to sneak up on people all at once whereas they can react to direct damage a lot of people don’t understand how much damage is being applied over time.
    Edited by Vapirko on April 23, 2018 9:08AM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

I have to disagree on this point. 2H offers next to no benefit over DW in PvP because it’s so clunky and especially next patch when it’s LA and HA gets nerfed and DW LA gets buffed. Defensive rune is soooo much better in PvP than dizzying swing for a cc. It protects you from ganks and ranged attackers and is very reliable. Plus it’s passive as the enemy essentially applies it to themselves. Defensive rune is also undodgeable and unblockbale and being able to circumvent block is a really good thing. The bleeds from dw also go theough block. As Ive said many times before, 2h is good against one type of player, complete noobs. It’s burst power is unparalleled but only if your opponent doesn’t know anything or you get lucky. It’s also a terrible weapon if your latency is anything but perfect. Plus stam sorcs naturally synergize well with dots and dots tend to sneak up on people all at once whereas they can react to direct damage a lot of people don’t understand how much damage is being applied over time.

Agreed. I took a fresh level 50 stam sorc that does not have all passives yet into battlegrounds yesterday (content I’d never done before) and was absolutely obliterating people with DW/Bow. I wasn’t even running a meta setup: 5 Spriggans/5 MA/2 Valkyn/vMA Bow on a Khajiit. No Vigor yet, just Dark Deal. I was expecting to be at the bottom of the barrel, given my unfamiliarity with Battlegrounds and the fact that I was just trying that mode out to see if it would be something I’d be interested in, and was pleasantly surprised. My biggest problem was stam regen, so I’m aiming for Bone Pirate. I thought I was maybe just playing against garbage players who were also Battlegrounds noobs, but I looked a little closer and almost everyone on the opposing teams were mid-high ranks (with S&B builds, to boot). When I’ve got the gear and skills I actually want, I expect my DW/Bow stam sorc will be even stronger. I could see wanting to run 2H for Forward Momentum, but if snares are a concern, there are other ways of dealing with that.

Edit: Also, I’m VERY interested to see how the new bloodthirsty trait will synergize with Bloodthirst/Rapid Strikes.
    Edited by Aurielle on April 23, 2018 10:35AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »

But it can also be used for mega skill line leveling.

No, it can't. The enlightenment exp boost only impacts champion point gains, not skill line experience gains. I could provide screen shots if you do not believe me

• Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it can't. The enlightenment exp boost only impacts champion point gains, not skill line experience gains. I could provide screen shots if you do not believe me

Could you? Cuz yea, sounds awesome and wasn't aware of that change but if it doesn't apply then its the old way I reckon.
    And thanks all for the feedback, sounds like I made a good choice for class but I have to laugh...one posts laments on how well a 2H is/could be/will be and then the very next says the opposite! Gotta love the forums eh, everyone has their own way, which is just fine! Cheers all! ;)
    Edited by Joxer61 on April 23, 2018 11:33AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

Could you? Cuz yea, sounds awesome and wasn't aware of that change but if it doesn't apply then its the old way I reckon.
    And thanks all for the feedback, sounds like I made a good choice for class but I have to laugh...one posts laments on how well a 2H is/could be/will be and then the very next says the opposite! Gotta love the forums eh, everyone has their own way, which is just fine! Cheers all! ;)

It is not a change, this is the way it has always acted, you can turn on exp gains with AUI or FTC, i forget which, there is always 2, one for regular skill exp and one for champion points.

see here

before exp
    Yp3TO1l.jpg

the exp gain, the lighter blue is champion point exp and the darker blue is skill exp.
    DpxgHsV.jpg

after exp
    zRpSzoG.jpg

as you can see the pre exp was 124,637, the exp gain was 621 and the amount at the end was 125,258. not 127,121, like it would be if want you say was happening.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

It is not a change, this is the way it has always acted, you can turn on exp gains with AUI or FTC, i forget which, there is always 2, one for regular skill exp and one for champion points.

see here

before exp
    Yp3TO1l.jpg

the exp gain, the lighter blue is champion point exp and the darker blue is skill exp.
    DpxgHsV.jpg

after exp
    zRpSzoG.jpg

as you can see the pre exp was 124,637, the exp gain was 621 and the amount at the end was 125,258. not 127,121, like it would be if want you say was happening.

Thanks for that! Keep in mind I left when Craglorn dropped so yea, its been awhile so heaps of "new" things I reckon. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe you. I will say I'm not certain about it, but when my enlightenment runs out it seems my skill lines slow to a crawl.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever suggested 2H for StamSorc in PvP needs to go out and try DW/S&B or DW/Bow and change his life view.

OP, you should level these three weapons in order of priority:
    1) DW
    2) Bow
    3) S&B

You'll be able to play every decent PvE and PvP build.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    Whoever suggested 2H for StamSorc in PvP needs to go out and try DW/S&B or DW/Bow and change his life view.

OP, you should level these three weapons in order of priority:
    1) DW
    2) Bow
    3) S&B

You'll be able to play every decent PvE and PvP build.

THANK YOU!! ;)
  • twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    one main reason for 2h in PvP is for the snare removal/immunity (momentum)

so how do you manage to remove snares if you are using dw/bow? i guess you are either perma-snared in pvp or you are using 5 piece medium armor + shuffle.

it seems like every skill has snare + all the npcs

edit: well this applies to both pve and pvp since everything snares you constantly.
    Edited by twistedmonk on April 23, 2018 5:53PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one main reason for 2h in PvP is for the snare removal/immunity (momentum)

so how do you manage to remove snares if you are using dw/bow? i guess you are either perma-snared in pvp or you are using 5 piece medium armor + shuffle.

it seems like every skill has snare + all the npcs

edit: well this applies to both pve and pvp since everything snares you constantly.

Escapist-Poison.jpg

immovable-potions.jpg

(Note, above images are probably out of date and might not reflect current stats: I haven’t played around much with my stam sorc yet, and have always used 2H on my stamplar, so haven’t bothered with poisons/potions to counter CC).

There are also sets like Barkskin that reduce the duration of snares and heal you when you get snares. 2H is definitely the preferred weapon for countering CC, but I’d personally rather have the extra damage output in Battlegrounds and mitigate CC somewhat less effectively/reliably.
    Edited by Aurielle on April 23, 2018 9:46PM