The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Returning Player Build Advice

badger333
badger333
Hi all!

I'm returning after about a year away and when my download is done I'm thinking I'll probably make a new character to start fresh!

I'd be looking for something where I can do mid level pve end game and lots of Pvp (large and small scale), I was leaning towards magicka NB but not sure, does anyone have any suggestions? I did love the idea of stamsorc but I think it's not really a thing in pvp?
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good resource is alcasthq.com. He does PvE and PvP builds for all classes, and his notes about how they play are very accurate. He also offers easy to get gear and BiS, as well as CP allocations for lower CP players.

Both magblades and stam sorcs are super fun right now, IMO. Two of my top characters. Notes on what to expect from end game characters:

Stam Sorc

In PvE, stam sorcs just shred everything. They can take on most normal 4 player dungeons and world bosses solo, so needless to say they’re going to do fine in almost every PvE circumstance. They have a really good balance of direct damage and aoe potential, nice heal options, and some of the best class buffs. Power surge means they get major brutality from a class skill, so they have weapon versatility (no need for 2h and Rally). And right now, resource management is key...their dark exchange means they can easily get stam back from their magic, which is a HUGE help.

In PvP, stam sorcs are good. They can really put the DoT pressure on enemies. They can hunt Nightblades. I’m not sure they’re great solo, but I’d run my stam sorc in a 2-4 person small group for sure. Playing wing man to a nightblade, they’d be vicious.

Magblade

Magblades got some buffs a few months ago (but there are some stupid nerfs on the pts right now). In PvE, they are pretty dang good. Using a combo of harness magic and siphoning (leeching?) strikes, they can sustain resources pretty well. Because they can bring in heals from class abilities, I like to double destro them. This allows soul harvest as the front ultimate (+6 ultimate PER KILL) and the destro ultimate on the back. The destro ultimate is an OP “the dev team is cray cray” skill, and a magblade can be firing it all the dang time with their soul harvest / light attack ultimate generation. Merciless resolve is a core skill, and it’s one of the trickiest abilities to master, so there’s a learning curve.

In PvP, needless to say magblads are perma-cloak speedy little @&###ers. Lol. My friend and I run our stamblade and magblade together, and they pair up amazingly well...both put out a ton of damage, and then they have debuffs that pair up well. I’m not a master at solo on my magblade, but there are players who are, and when they come formyou they are deadly.

(Tip: if you level a magblade, take the time to steal and launder each day. The ships in daggerfall are a good source. You want the 40% sneak cost reduction from legerdemain. You need to get to level 16).

Summary

If you have time to play this weekend, why not roll one of each and use the cake to get them up to level 30ish? They both benefit from class/weapon abilities down the tree, so they need to be higher level to see their full potential, but by level 30 you’ll get an idea how they play. Cake + dailies, especially Cyrodiil dailies, and they’ll level super fast.

• bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really love my StamSorc. I converted her just for farming, but shes lethal and has turned out to be really fun. She was my main at first but the combo was by accident, as i new nothing about ESO. 3 years later, it was a nice conversion to have her become very useful.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • badger333
    badger333
    Cheers both! especially @davey1107 that was really helpful :)

Yeah I mean its been a while since I've played but I do have really clear memories of stam sorc shredding dungeons!

Think you are right to say I should roll both and see how it goes, think I have both already like 20ish so I'll have a go (sorc might be magicka i'm not sure!)

will also defo try dailies for leveling then if thats the way to go, thank you for the massive help!
    Edited by badger333 on April 20, 2018 7:57PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best dailies for leveling (and birthday boxes)

- run to Gold Coast kvatch for world boss. These take <5 min w huge rewards

- if desired, grab delve daily in Anvil. The xp is (I think) glitched and set to reward too much

- ditto on clockwork world boss and delve dailies.

- if you want to run a public dungeon (these are great for psijic runs), grab a daily from a caption city mages guild. These have you pick up an item in a random public dungeon. If you’re running them for xp and skill points, why not stack another quest.

- but the best are the Cyrodiil quests. There are five towns...each has ten quests that are repeatable each day. That’s a fifty per character per day limit! Each rewards a birthday box. Each takes about 3 minutes. Seriously...they’re like “to kill a bear.” And for some reason they are set at 1.5x the XP of a world boss daily. (Wtf?) I can run all ten in cropsford in 30 minutes...on my vet w cake that’s 250,000 xp, or roughly 16 world boss dailies. (EAT YOUR CAKE FIRST. You can’t use the cake in Cyrodiil, so buff up before going in.)
  • badger333
    badger333
    Like to thank @davey1107 I'm playing some stam sorcerer and LOVING it, the AoE is literally ridiculous!