The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Both PVE and PVP?

dueldragon
dueldragon
✭✭
This may seem dumb, but I really want to know. Can I do both PvE and PvP and be able to do good on both? Or do I have to pick 1 and build my character according to it, because otherwise the other option would be useless? It's just getting a bit tiring to make new characters, do the same quests, get the same achievements, level up and upgrade skills again and again and again.
  • dueldragon
    dueldragon
    ✭✭
    dueldragon wrote: »
    This may seem dumb, but I really want to know. Can I do both PvE and PvP and be able to do good on both? Or do I have to pick 1 and build my character according to it, because otherwise the other option would be useless? It's just getting a bit tiring to make new characters, do the same quests, get the same achievements, level up and upgrade skills again and again and again.

Sorry, let me re write that.

Can I do good on both PvP and PvE? Or do I have to choose one of them? It's getting tiring and admittedly boring to create new characters, do the same quests, get the same achievements, and advance the same skill lines, and do the main story over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, doing good is pretty relative. Of course you can use the same character for both, but I would definitely recommend getting separate gear you can equip for either situation.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as already is told, you should have a pve and pvp gear ready to swap whenever you want. a character can be played in both pvp and pve and do both very good. for pve damage dealers, you normally put all attributes into one resource pool. thats the same for pvp. the onlly thing you want to change is the gear. in pvp normally more regen is better, because fight can take a while. another thing you might consider is the cp allocation. if you only play battlegrounds and non cp pvp, you can solely spec for pve with your cps, but if you play cp enabled pvp, you either have to reallocate them each time or find a good middle way (shouldnt be that difficult, since you dont have to respec everything. some cp trees might stay the same actually.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're on pc download an addon called dressing room. Allowe you to set gear and skill combinations to a how key or selectable through the addon tab. Other than that probably a mundus change and maybe some morph changes and re all you need. Plus alot of the pvp build really benefit from the undaunted passivery and running a 5-1-1 armor setup
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can I have certain toons that I am abusing for PVE and PVP. I have 4 tools dedicated to nothing but PVE content, end game trials, VMA VDSA and, 11 others dedicated to PVP I'm working on my second 5 star PVP rank and I have almost all endgame trial and dungeon skins. Just put your time in and you can do both no problem.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do both, but to do well will require swapping gear, CP, and possibly skill morphs. That's a little alleviated if you play in No CP PVP, of course.

For my MagDK, I leave my CP set for PVP as a group healer and do PVE tanking just fine, but I'm not doing Trials on that character.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be clear, completely optimizing both requires a few different morphs and CPs but switch hitting is very viable with different gear sets as noted. Pvp people chuckle when they see a placed destro just the same as pve people do when they see eye of the storm. You probably have to pick which way you go for endgame content if you only want 1 toon ever and don't want to remorph all the time, but the other 95% of the game you'll be fine.
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • dueldragon
    dueldragon
    ✭✭
    So let me get this straight, I can either be "fine-ish" on both, or be good at one and suck completely on the other?

If I have a character I want to use for PVP, I can't go for trials because my CP allocation will not be good for that?
    I don't think skills would be much of an issue because I use DW for PvE and 2h for PVP, and I don't really use a lot of 1h&s skills, I just use those skills for my healing and self support skills (maybe this is a mistake to do so)
    so if I want to do trials, I HAVE to get ANOTHER character? Because otherwise, I would just be a complete liability and I won't of any use?
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I more meant that with the right experience, you can be good at one and great at the other in most cases with simple gear and skill bar changes. If you aren't running vet trials or something it won't matter that much. Specifics can vary based on role, skills, and optimal rotations, but this has been my experience.
    Edited by pzschrek on April 22, 2018 5:12PM
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for a stamina based character i see nothing standing in your way to be more than effective in both. since you use two different skilllines (2h and dual wield), one for pve and pvp, there shouldnt be any skill resetting. as already stated, that maybe a few cps in the red and green tree may be newly allocated. if you dont want to do that, just go into pve with a cp allocation. that doesnt hurt you damage wise normally. so in your case only gear changing should do more than fine to switch between a perfect pvp and a (almost) perfect pve character.
    Edited by Checkmath on April 22, 2018 10:36PM