The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Need some advice, please, and input on gear traits and CP....

Thunderknuckles
Thunderknuckles
✭✭✭✭
So I'm trying to work out a new set up. I'm wondering if I actually need Impen on most pieces or if that crit resistance can also be obtained through CP? On that note, is there a point at which crit resistance with CP becomes capped (or useless)? I'm just trying to minimize yet more grinding for gear with the necessary traits. ha ha

Edited to be more clear. For example, if I wanted to go 5 pieces of Well Fitted, can I get my crit resist up enough with CP to not need several pieces of Impen?

My apologies if I seem to be spamming the boards tonight. :)
Edited by Thunderknuckles on April 20, 2018 3:03AM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a good spot to sit around for crit resistance is 2k+. there is somewhere a cap over 3k crit resistance i think. the more well-fitted you want, the more cps you have to put into crit resistance. but this totally depends n what class and playstyle you have. depending on that, you dont need much crit resistance (in the case of gankblades for example. some of them dont even have crit resistance).
    Options
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no cap. But you can’t mitigate a crit to do less than a regular attack. So it can become less effective depending on opponents crit damage modification. I stick with around

2900-3200 on Stam Classes
    2000 on Magic classes relying on shields
    2500 on Other Mag Specs No Shields
    Options
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still need to be heavily reliant on avoiding dmg if you go 5 well fitted and 2 impen, even if you pump points into cp. But that's fine, just know you're going to get hit harder. I found that using a hard cc 2 or 3 seconds after a roll and speed pots with a snare on the enemy REALLY impacts the amount of consecutive rolls i need to do. This with keeping vigor up and you'll be fine once you get used to it.
    Options
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    The important thing to remember is that adding more armor pieces with impen, well fitted etc scales linearly, meaning you get the same amount of bonus for every piece you add. CP on the other hand gives progressively less value the more points you spend.

On my magplar for example, I run 5 impen (~1250 crit resist) plus 2 sturdy on my body and a sturdy shield (12% total). On top of that, i run 42 resistant (~1100 impen) and 56 Shadow Ward (20% block).

So i have a total of 2350 impen and 32% block cost reduction.

Lets say i instead ran 8x impen pieces and invested the all the 42+56 CP in block cost reduction. That would give me 2000 impen + 24% cost reduction.

Bottom line is, balance your gear and your CP (and dont invest too much into one single CP) :)
    Edited by Dudis on April 20, 2018 5:01PM
    Options
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with others that you probably want to use a mix of cp and impen if the character is going to PvP a lot.

The good news if you’re high cp is that the red line has a few awesome passives, then a ton of horrible passives. When you’re max cp, those last 25-50 red points can either be used for a relatively small buff to resistance or a big reduction in crit damage. What I mean is that it’s not like you’re losing out on much by investing in crit.

How many points / gear you use for crit mitigation depends on your class, build and play style. On my stamblade, I fine tuned him to ~35 CPs and 4 pieces of gear (I’m not sure what crit rating this gives him). This is a point where he can survive most combo sneak attacks...if I get ambush, ulti, surprise attack, surprise attack from a NB, I’m usually at 1/3 health still and can react and get away. I’ve tried one less impen, and he does a lot more, so right now this is the sweet spot for balancing survivability and damage.
    Options
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    do I need to worry about frit resist in pve or is that more for pvp?
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
    Options
  • lazerlaz
    lazerlaz
    ✭✭✭
    Really depends in how well you utilize your other defenses. I main 2 different stam nightblades and both are wearing all well fitted and 7 medium with 72 points into tumbler. My survivability since I've moved away from impen has significantly increased. I'll take not taking damage over taking mitigated damage all day. However, if I get hard Cc'ed and can't break free fast enough into a roll, it freaking hurts lol. Usually only lag gives me that problem tho.
    Options
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    do I need to worry about frit resist in pve or is that more for pvp?

Yes, Jnelson, PvE bosses and mobs don't do crit damage. Almost certain this is why PvE builds mostly use Infused and Divines. Player, however, do crit and crit hard often. :)
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    There is no cap. But you can’t mitigate a crit to do less than a regular attack. So it can become less effective depending on opponents crit damage modification. I stick with around

2900-3200 on Stam Classes
    2000 on Magic classes relying on shields
    2500 on Other Mag Specs No Shields

The " mag no shield" should be the same impen recommendation as Stam toon.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    ok thanks very much, I was thinking as well as hoping pve had no frit since mine was not even over 100 lol
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
    Options
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impregnable gear...it's 5 piece bonus gives 2,500 crit resists. And it comes in every weight. (Heavy, medium, and light)
    Not really saying what your class is, or your build, but this set will allow you to put more cp's into other area's. You'll sacrifice other damage sets, but this set will help if you want to run more well fitted and less impen.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Impregnable+Armor+Set

If you don't do battlegrounds, it can be found in guild traders.
    Edited by Kel on April 29, 2018 7:50PM
    Options