The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why Are 2H Melee Weapons Getting LA + HA Nerfs?

Vapirko
Vapirko
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Can someone explain the logic? If LA are for damage and HA for resources why are 2H melee weapons the only ones getting nerfed in both categories while other weapons are getting buffs in one area and I think staves get buffed in both? For that matter why do staves get buffed in both areas while even 1h melee weapons and bows only get buffed for light?
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the 2H "nerf" is just to keep it in line with DW next patch. I don't think the patch notes are intended to convey that 2H LA damage will be less in Summerset than it currently is on live, once the overall LA buff is taken into accout.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the 2H "nerf" is just to keep it in line with DW next patch. I don't think the patch notes are intended to convey that 2H LA damage will be less in Summerset than it currently is on live, once the overall LA buff is taken into accout.

Okay let’s say that’s true, is the same true when it comes to destro? That it’s gonna be all kept in line?
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because 2h heavy attacks did way more damage than dual wield or destro heavy attacks. easy explanation. its not about buffing light and neerf heavy attacks. overall light and heavies now scale better with your max magicka pool. thats why destro attacks got a buff for both. dual wield gets also buffed, because its damage wasnt that high compared to a 2h attack. it is first off to encourage weaving more and second to bring the damage in line again.
  • b.bredfeldtub17_ESO
    2H was already behind DW in terms of DPS, so I don't really know why they're getting these nerfs. I thought the point of the changes was to bring them up to DW builds.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe cos 2H is OP as heck right now
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • b.bredfeldtub17_ESO
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I'm going to guess you primarily pvp?
  • reprosal
    reprosal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stam coefficient should stay the same as the dual wield change while the mag should stay reduced. Only due to the sheer differences in max magicka vs max stam pools.

Pet sorcs on PTS with 47k magicka are doing double the damage with light attacks. Having heavy attacks be the same ratio would be insane..
  • lazerlaz
    lazerlaz
    ✭✭✭
    2H was already behind DW in terms of DPS, so I don't really know why they're getting these nerfs. I thought the point of the changes was to bring them up to DW builds.

Not in PVP. 2h heavy does way more than DW heavy against a player right now.

I'm PVE however... Ahh who gives a shi*. It's PVE!
  • reprosal
    reprosal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lazerlaz wrote: »

And this is why PvE suffers. PvP want balance but always at the cost of PvE being screwed.
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    2H weps should get buff, not nerf
    ✭✭
    Has anyone had a chance to test in PTS how the 2H LA nerf compares to other stamina weapons, lets say DW? Im interested in this since I main a 2H stamina char and I only PVE.
  • Leemado
    Leemado
    ✭✭
    lazerlaz wrote: »

but are Light attacks that relevant in PVP to nerf 2H? it will have a big impact in PVE making 2H even less performing in PVE than it already is comparing it to DW. Isn't the damage relevant to PVP coming from skills like dizzing swing or reverce slice? (im seriously asking this since i dont do PVP)
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h is used for pvp, because it offers a gapcloser, a hardhitting cc (ok dizzying swing doesnt get used as mich anymore), a very nice execute and the best is momentum. Either it is a huge heal or a snare removal and immunity skill. Thats the skill why 2h is used for pvp. And also because it has some bursty damage. Pvp is all about burst and heal, thats why dual wield is less used in pvp. But the other way round, 2h is useless in pve, because pve is about sustained damage. 2h will not be competitive in pve, not because of the nerf to heavies and lights now, just because it has no real dps skills.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This jsut isn’t true. More and more players are turning to dw and Sb because of how unreliable 2H is against anyone who knows what they’re doing. I’ve played stam for a long time and dw is just so much better right now for reliably dishing out damage and going through permablock builds.

Also seems to be a lot of apposing views here. Does anyone actually have numbers to prove this change makes sense? Or is this just another instance where ZOS is catering to all the people getting mashed by 2H becuswe they don’t know how to play.
    Edited by Vapirko on April 20, 2018 1:11AM
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    because 2h heavy attacks did way more damage than dual wield or destro heavy attacks. easy explanation. its not about buffing light and neerf heavy attacks. overall light and heavies now scale better with your max magicka pool. thats why destro attacks got a buff for both. dual wield gets also buffed, because its damage wasnt that high compared to a 2h attack. it is first off to encourage weaving more and second to bring the damage in line again.

Yeah, but the animation for 2H heavy attack is longer than DW, thus the higher damage.

Nothing has changed with 2H compared to DW. If it’s “OP as heck”right now, then it’s always been that way. But it’s not. 2H is good because it offers stam classes (except for NB) a gap closer and a burst heal/major brut. It’s not because the damage from 2H is significantly more. In fact, a lot of players use 2H just as a buff bar/movement bar, and DW for damage,
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer 2H as my DMG bar because I prefer 2H over DW, always have in my games, always will.

That said, this is a dumb nerf and it should've been left as is because from a PvE standpoint, 2H was just now becoming anywhere even close with DW.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reprosal wrote: »
    The stam coefficient should stay the same as the dual wield change while the mag should stay reduced. Only due to the sheer differences in max magicka vs max stam pools.

Pet sorcs on PTS with 47k magicka are doing double the damage with light attacks. Having heavy attacks be the same ratio would be insane..

Why are you ignoring all these Stamina builds with 5000 weapon damage? The whole REASON for the changes is to bring Magicka builds up to where Stamina builds have been forever.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe sense 2h has a DPS skill that grants empower which now increases the next light attack damage by 40%.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are you ignoring all these Stamina builds with 5000 weapon damage? The whole REASON for the changes is to bring Magicka builds up to where Stamina builds have been forever.

I play a lot more stam classes than I do mag, I find stamina way more fun, but having played magplar and magblade a fair amount I find magblade to very very strong but harder for 1vX although that’s prob just an l2p issue. Magplar makes for a decent 1vX but lacks good ultimate. Point is any magicka weakness is class based and not wpn or spell damage. My magblade feels every bit as strong as my stam builds it’s just a matter of a different play style.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've asked and been told by guildies that it's because 2H weapon has higher base damage than any other weapon, so it has to be brought to line with bow and staves.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »
    i've asked and been told by guildies that it's because 2H weapon has higher base damage than any other weapon, so it has to be brought to line with bow and staves.

It’s ability driven; the weapon damage for a nirn 2H will be the same as the spell dmg from a nirn Staff. The difference as to why it’s perceived to hit harder is because it has a great execute that works at 50%, heavy attacks can empower the next light attack, and the cleave damage/bleed from brawler is significant. Damage-wise, they all result in the same net weapon/spell power gain, but the abilities are what distinguishes it.

Also, 2H abilities overall are more conducive to PvP, whereas absent destructive reach, most staff abilities are PvE oriented.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • negbert
    negbert
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn’t they do more damage to try and offset the fact that they only counted as 1 piece? This will no longer be the case. Having them count as 2 pieces is a massive buff.
  • Leemado
    Leemado
    ✭✭
    negbert wrote: »
    Didn’t they do more damage to try and offset the fact that they only counted as 1 piece? This will no longer be the case. Having them count as 2 pieces is a massive buff.

No, bows and staves also counted as one piece and now they are getting a buff, 2h on the contrary are getting nerfed.
  • reprosal
    reprosal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The trade off for stam and magicka is medium armor passives add 12% weapon damage whereas light armor adds 4994 penetration. The penetration far outweighs 12% weapon damage. Now that light attacks are going to be scaling the same as abilities do with max resource pools, magicka is going to be buffed out the yazoo compared to a 2h melee weapon.

(I don't really care either way so I am not being bias, I play all DW stam toons and a magblade).

• KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no logic in a world where heavy attack regenerates ressource. ESO combat system is a gimmick.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no logic in a world where heavy attack regenerates ressource. ESO combat system is a gimmick.

Thats not really the part that bothers me. I think its a good mechanic. Im just perplexed as to why 2H melee weapons are getting light and heavy attacks nerfed while staves are getting both buffed. There are a lot of speculative answers, subjective answers etc, but no one seems to really know why. 2H already had their gap closer nerfed pretty hard. Staves already have the advantage of being ranged. What I see are people asking staves to be brought on par with 2H melee weapons. But what people seem to forget or to not want to recognize is that staves are already very strong and ranged on top of that. 2H builds are all forced into the same couple of skills for every build on every class. This is not true of magicka builds. Further buffing staves while nerfing 2H melee weapons is going to push them way over the top.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

Okay let’s say that’s true, is the same true when it comes to destro? That it’s gonna be all kept in line?

Destro needs a buff to be brought in line with Dw etc.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then dont play it... cause I 100% disagree with ya.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • Leemado
    Leemado
    ✭✭
    itsfatbass wrote: »
    Vapirko wrote: »

Destro needs a buff to be brought in line with Dw etc.

I dont know why this turned into a fight between staves and 2h... this should be about DW vs 2H! :D