The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

More small / Medium sized homes

ChaosBlue
ChaosBlue
✭✭✭
As much as I love the current variety of homes, I feel like a lot of the new houses coming out are of the larger (or massive) varieties. I would love to see more content added to the small / Medium home sizes. Like a small Breton farmhouse on a brook or a dingy looking small cave for one to camp in.

I think ESO has a singularly rich base to draw from, and as such holds so much promise for new content. I just hope that those of us who prefer to decorate smaller homes are not left behind.

HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Large Homes are nice up to a point. But a nice Medium or Small house can be so much more efficient to use. And, your decorating is easier.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed! Would love more small/medium homes, but it just doesn't look like we're going to get any more. Just take a look at the SS patch notes to see that the only houses are the free inn room (15/30 slots) and then a large house and notable home (ship). There isn't even a medium home like MW. Very disappointing.

But, I suspect that the only homes that really sell in the CS are the large/notables. Small/medium homes are easy enough to afford with in-game gold. Housing really seems to be relegated to the CS and generating revenue, and it's fine up to a point. I don't want to see the game for F2P and I don't want to see any P2W items in the CS, so that leaves all the cosmetic stuff.

But, how much effort would it really take to add a few small/medium homes once in a while - they're all cut/paste from in-game assets anyway. I'd love to see them add a new small/medium home to be purchased during the New Life Festival.
  • ChaosBlue
    ChaosBlue
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. There are a lot of great existing assets that would easily make some functional small or medium houses. I doubt it would be that much of a stretch to add them occasionally. I think that it is a category that is currently overlooked.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The medium house in Morrowind was fantastic value. Really disappointed we didn't get something similar with Summerset.
  • Hunterka71
    Hunterka71
    ✭✭✭
    I think the bean counters at ZOS overlook one thing - even if I don't spend crowns= money on a house I can still spend them on store exclusive furniture. If I don't buy a house at all (cause too expensive, limited or simply overhuge) I don't spend crowns at all.
    So it's slopy thinking on their side, not to add something that takes zero efort (using existing assets) that still can generate even a modest income.
    I was all hyped for Dibella garden pack and SS midium house. Guess what, no crowns from me again.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I can afford the huge homes. I just prefer smaller ones that don't need a mount to traverse.
  • Enokariel
    Enokariel
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, I want to have variable small to medium houses, not the big empty ones.
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they just have no clue at all when it comes to business. They keep going big thinking that will somehow make them more money when giving people houses around the 60-400k mark will probably open up the market for those people to buy crowns to buy furnishings.

the lack of any type of business intelligence astounds me on a weekly basis.

• BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disappointing to hear we won't be getting any smaller houses in Summerset :'( I don't mind spending some crowns, but until we get the ability to house followers in there like we have in (modded) Skyrim, I don't particularly want a large, lonely house to myself.
  • ChaosBlue
    ChaosBlue
    ✭✭✭
    They do seem to be overlooking the fact that smaller, more affordable things would sell in larger volume rather than fewer but more expensive items.
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only SS home that isn't crown only with any yard at all is 90% tile too. Sure the crown only house is mostly "yard" it's not really the kind i see a need to decorate at all. Or would care to. IMO they should have added a medium home with more yard so we can use these new yard furnishings in a place that matches it. And considering how must of the new trees are huge.... it would be really difficult to use them in the Alinor Town house without them just clipping through everything. (plus the whole tile issue...)

They have plenty of houses in the land that are used for the farms/vineyards or just generally the more rural houses that would be a good model for it, If it was placed on one of the mountains that we can't really traverse then there would be a space for it and the mountain could be used for some of the edges around the home to keep it contained.

Though I would just generally like more homes similar to the witch hut and ald velothi houses. The witch hut has a smaller house but a good sized yard and ald velothi is very structured, making it easier to decorate. (especially with limited item slots)

I'd also be all for more houses that actually have some creeks/ponds/waterfalls in them. >_> I would like if the game had more houses that are more... "homey" rather then all the new ones just being for the "rich" (and i dont mean irl rich in this case, i mean like, how the house LOOKS. I don't really want castles and mansions personally, or a whole lot of space. i have nothing against those houses I just don't have much use for them)
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MrGraves wrote: »
    I would like if the game had more houses that are more... "homey" rather then all the new ones just being for the "rich" (and i dont mean irl rich in this case, i mean like, how the house LOOKS. I don't really want castles and mansions personally, or a whole lot of space. i have nothing against those houses I just don't have much use for them)

This exactly! I could buy the castles/mansions - I have the means, but they are not my style. I like "homey" as well.

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really can't agree more. I have the creativity and energy to fill multiple medium/small houses.

Decorating one manor gets to be copy+paste-esque after a while. Or I do a little tableau in one area and run out of slots to do anything interesting somewhere else.

My favorite decorating I've ever done was 3 small houses and 3 apartments done up as different themed haunted houses for a guild event on halloween. It was easy and fun to make them feel full and alive.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here's hoping that ZOS takes notice of this and similar other threads on the subject. They're really missing out on at least two categories of players - those that don't have as much IRL money to purchase the large homes, but would be able to purchase medium homes with crowns and those that just prefer small/medium homes. I don't need lots of giant mansions. I like to have a variety of homes to decorate in various styles and not have to worry as much about running out of slots to do all the things I want.
  • opallithia
    opallithia
    ✭✭✭
    I wholeheartedly agree. Not everyone needs, or even wants, manor-sized homes. I find I enjoy decorating the smaller houses more than I like decorating the large ones, as I'm able to make them look more full and lived in. Plus, I don't feel like they're so insanely expensive that they're out of my reach.

Please add more small and medium homes!
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I currently only have 1 large home I have done anything with and I can't imagine ever being completely done with it. With the small and medium it is much easier to achieve a sense of accomplishment and not feel overwhelmed. So now if that long desired wizard tower would just arrive.

Of course everyone needs one large home because you can't comfortably fit a Sithis statue into the smaller ones.
  • Rain_Bat
    Rain_Bat
    I have two large homes, Strident Springs (which I have yet to figure out how I want to decorate) and Coldharbor Surreal Estate (which I use as a storage bin for furniture I'm not using so it doesn't take up bank space). I think my favorite houses tend to be the medium ones because I love having more pets and mounts out. I agree that there needs to be a better variety and think it would make Zos a ton of money if they started catering to those of us who love housing but can't afford the manors, because the houses they put in the Crown Store aren't even large houses, they're manors. I would love to see a small cave as a Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild safe house.
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 medium homes can be purchased for the price of one average large

large home 700 slots. 4 medium homes, a lot more than that.

More slots equals more possible profit for Zos.

Now if they could only understand that.

• JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely need a few in Wrothgar or perhaps Betnikh.

Right now they're simply making "SuperSize" houses i suspect purely to justify the cost simply for profit. I don't see why considering these supersize manors are way to big to even decorate thoroughly.
    Edited by JWKe on April 27, 2018 9:12PM
  • ChaosBlue
    ChaosBlue
    ✭✭✭
    I want something like this :)

Screenshot_20180421_195025.png

And you know, a small cave, a small crooked wizard's tower, a small boat, etc etc :P
    Edited by ChaosBlue on April 28, 2018 11:37PM
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please!

But, speaking as an RPer, that 12 player cap REALLY hurts the appeal of anything but notable homes. I wish I could actually get my friends together in my smaller homes, and then I'd buy tons of them. :(

But, I definitely agree we need more small options.
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • daniel.13b16_ESO
    daniel.13b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more and came here to post exactly that. I don't like the manor houses as the item limit (especially for non subscribers .... you know, those people that actually spend money in the crown store and often more than the subscription fee) makes them always feel empty. They are also not homey.

I really want more small and particularly medium sized houses in varied styles. I'd wager that they would earn more money that way. Players would own several houses. This is especially true if they offer more variety. Where are the different caves, farms, mage towers, small/ medium ruins on hilltops, cottages in woods or at lakes, small islands, tree houses, camp sites, crypts, lighthouse ..... . All of these assets are in the game, they just need to be a little creative. Especially since housing is not really integrated in the live world anyways. They can go all out and have actually fun with it.

In fact, I'd prefer a neighbor style housing feature as well. Create instanced neighborhoods in different styles like in Lotro. Again, housing is completely instanced and isolated anyways (not like in Black Desert wheer you can open windows and doors and see players outside).
    Edited by daniel.13b16_ESO on April 29, 2018 8:19PM
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone craving a medium size home with lots of detail will be thrilled come Summerset, just wait...
    Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite agree that medium and small homes are very desirable and sadly neglected! My two most important reasons for preferring smaller homes to manors are:

1) None of my toons would be at home in a manor (at least by themselves)
    2) I can't imagine successfully completing a satisfying decorating job given the item limits in a manor.

Smaller homes are just plain better - it's not a question of cost but of value.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love a small/medium house (in Summerset) with generous outdoor space that has a patio bordering a lake or brook. Waterfall would be icing on the cake! Extra bonus if the house is on one level and has a cheerful fireplace :)

Better yet...how about something magical... like living in an enchanted bubble, its mirror-like surface swirling in colors on the outside, but inside you can freely look out? Or a hobbit-like home half hidden in a lush landscape?

SMALL/MEDIUM houses with character, please!!!!!!!
  • ChaosBlue
    ChaosBlue
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently those are coming soon...
    Edited by ChaosBlue on May 1, 2018 12:05PM
  • ChaosBlue
    ChaosBlue
    ✭✭✭
    Ashryn wrote: »
    I would love a small/medium house (in Summerset) with generous outdoor space that has a patio bordering a lake or brook. Waterfall would be icing on the cake! Extra bonus if the house is on one level and has a cheerful fireplace :)

Looks like waterfalls will be achievement items so you can build your own :)
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosBlue wrote: »

want to elaborate please
    Edited by xbobx on May 1, 2018 12:06PM
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭

xbobx wrote: »
    ChaosBlue wrote: »

want to elaborate please

I don't think I am breaking the NDA by telling folks to go look at YouTube for previews of the Alinor Townhouse. I know I am buying it, I already decorated it on the beta. It's EVERYTHING.

Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".