The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Master writ question

Gaangreen
Gaangreen
✭✭✭
Since more motifs and recipies count toward a better chance of getting a higher writ voucher. My question is does a gold have more weight than a purple and a purple have more weight than a blue?

Would it be better to buy a bunch of purple motifs or 1 gold from the master writ guy.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can think of it (the higher chance of a master writ) as being like a buff based on what percent of motifs you know. If you know half the total chapters on the motif list, you get half the buff. (The list is most of the motifs in the game). It seems to be a bit more complicated than this. It’s not an exact curve. The experts who track thousands of writs tell is that two crafters who are middle of the road in knowledge do better than one super crafter. But more or less that’s how it works.

Your question seems to be whether a gold motif book is better than chapters. No...the gold book just teaches you all chapters. In terms of getting master writs, it doesn’t make a difference if you learn the motif from one gold book or fourteen purple chapters.
  • Gaangreen
    Gaangreen
    ✭✭✭
    Well, i also mean like is a gold furnishings diagram better than a single purple. Or is green:blue:purple:gold all 1:1:1:1 as likely to increase chances
  • Gaangreen
    Gaangreen
    ✭✭✭
    Or your saying also, the blue brenton motif book is as good as the gold imperial as far as chances go
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaangreen wrote: »
    Well, i also mean like is a gold furnishings diagram better than a single purple. Or is green:blue:purple:gold all 1:1:1:1 as likely to increase chances

Currently, your knowledge of furnishing plans has ZERO effect on your chances to get a master writ in any profession. Your knowledge of furnishing plans only affects your ability to create furnishings to decorate your house or sell to others. Whether they will change this at some point in the future is yet to be determined, but for now, furnishing plan knowledge and associated achievements don't factor in master writ RNG.

Gaangreen wrote: »
    Or your saying also, the blue brenton motif book is as good as the gold imperial as far as chances go

The blue motif books for the basic racial styles also have ZERO effect on your master writ chances. However, the achievement unlocked for learning all of them does apparently play a role.

With all the other motifs, you only get credit once you've learned the complete style (all 14 chapters). So in this sense, a gold book is more valuable than 13 purple chapters of the same motif, but once you collect all 14 chapters and get the "<Whatever motif> style master" achievement, then it gives you the same benefit of having read the gold book (which also would simply have given you the same achievement in one whack).

Keep that in mind when you have multiple incomplete motifs. If you have one style with 12/14 chapters learned, and one with 7/14 chapters, neither one is giving you any credit until you collect all 14/14 chapters. You're better off to work through and finish entire styles and not going with a "shotgun" approach of random pages from ten different motifs.

Thank you for the article but it did not really clarify what we already knew in general about the chances to get Master Writs.
    Is it blue, purple, and gold recipes that increases your chances or only purple and gold?
    Does each Chapter of a motif increase your chances or only when a Motif is completed?
    Does completing Achievements in general on the character increase your chances or only the crafting achievements?
    Only Purple- and Gold-quality provisioning recipes and completed Motifs increase your chances of getting a Master Writ. Individual Motif Chapters do not increase your chances. Achievements are factored into Master Writ chances by way of learning associated Alchemy reagent traits and Enchantment glyph translations.

Slurg wrote: »
    Does that include the new motifs that were just introduced with this patch?
    Yes, Motifs that aren’t Crown Store-exclusive (including the ones added with Update 13) are factored into Motif knowledge for the chance to receive Master Writs, with the playable race cultural Motifs being the exception. You may be asked to craft items in the playable race cultural Motifs to complete a Master Writ, but they do not contribute to your chances of getting a Master Writ.

CREEP wrote: »
    -With the introduction of furnishing crafting schematics, does knowledge of these influence Master Writ chances as they are "craftable goods"?
    This doesn’t factor in at the moment, but we’ll be evaluating it for future growth of the system.

Edit to install quotes from Jessica in the official master writ thread, in case you want verification of my claims.
    Edited by Feric51 on April 17, 2018 3:14PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mere fact that my alts can get a Master Writ with only knowing their racial writ and my master crafter can get none in the same week tells me not to worry about any knowledge that my Master Crafter isn't going to actually use for crafting.

Even after we satisfy all or none of the knowledge on any character, ZOS final RNG is still applied which can bring the results above.
    Edited by SpAEkus on April 17, 2018 9:32PM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »
    The mere fact that my alts can get a Master Writ with only knowing their racial writ and my master crafter can get none in the same week tells me not to worry about any knowledge that my Master Crafter isn't going to actually use for crafting.

Even after we satisfy all or none of the knowledge on any character, ZOS final RNG is still applied which can bring the results above.

Alchemy = traits learned
    Enchanting= runes learned
    Provisioning = purple/gold recipes learned
    Equipment = Purple/gold motifs learned.

I get master writs more often and that are worth more now with 12 purple/gold motifs learned than i did with 3-4 a few months ago. It does make a difference. I was getting writs worth 6 vouchers and not much else, now i get ones worth 50 vouchers or more twice a month at least.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not matter how you learn the chapters, all at once, or spread across the individual ones.

Since the Gold Books are usually more expensive than the individual chapters, your wasting your money if your chasing Master Writs to buy them to learn the motifs.

Of course, if you get one in a box, then you can use it. Me, I would sell it then buy the chapters.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"