The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Player Character question...

Luckymurphy
Luckymurphy
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone,

I played for about 6 months when eso 1st came out and havn't touched the game since...

I find myself with lots of free time these days, so I thought I'd jump back in.

I have spent last couple of days reading many, many, many, forum posts :)

I am Overwhelmed with information lol...

My game intentions are solo pve to follow the main story line. I have played a few mmo's ( eq, eq2, and wow ( eq early days best ever) ) for a long time, and I'm currently looking for an mmo to "take over my life " for the ne3xt few years.

I have not bought the morrowwind expansion yet, I wanted to run thru the game for a bit before purchasing anything.

I want to make a PVE dps/survival type of character. at this stage of my life I prefer a fairly easy to play ( rotation wise ) character.

so, therein lies my 1st question...

What type character to start ? ( I have a lvl 50 dk, but I wanna start over to learn mechanics before utilizing the dk.

So I tend to prefer ranged, but am not opposed to melee. I was thinking in general some type of sorcerer mebbe ?

Race, isn't necessarily a big deal to me, so once I decide what class/type to play, I will fit a race into the general spec...

Any input would be welcome, thanks in advance :)

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of info out there.

The first choice to make is whether you want to play magicka or stamina. Each class can focus of either attribute and plays very differently based on which one you choose, but all classes benefit from going into stamina or magicka (health is for tanks)

Since you want to play ranged and do quests in PVE, I would suggest:
    For magicka: sorc, warden, or nightblade, with a destro staff
    For stamina: warden or nightblade. The others tend to be more melee focused, of which I think stamina sorc is the easiest character I've ever leveled.
  • Luckymurphy
    Luckymurphy
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks Varanis.

I don't usually play much "magic" based characters, but I'd like to switch it up a bit in eso.

I think Ill try magic sorc and see how it goes :)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Varanis.

I don't usually play much "magic" based characters, but I'd like to switch it up a bit in eso.

I think Ill try magic sorc and see how it goes :)

Awesome! Good luck, I enjoyed my mag sorc. They have a lot of options with pets or with no pets.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy mode = Mag sorc (pets) - Stam Sorc (2H).

Out of these Mag sorc has the easier rotation, can literally one bar the hardest solo content :smile:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good call on holding off on Morrowind. See if you like the game first. (Also, note that Morrowind comes with the Summerset preorder. If you decide this is the game for you, look at that before buying Morrowind alone. I think they’re way chooser as a package).

So...what kind of character to play. It’s a bit of a personal question, issint?

All of the classes in both magic and stamina are good. (I have all of them as vets). Which you prefer will probably take some trial and error. My favorite is stamblade...I find mag sorc boring, but I know people who love them and hate stamblades and I understand why. But you want to quest, you want good dps, and you want to survive. These might be my recommendation to roll and then play a bit in order to choose a “main.”

Stam Sorc

Why? They’re way fun. I love my Khajiit stam sorc. He puts out a ton of damage and has high survivability. I like the physical weapon skills more than the staffs (yawn). This is my top pick based on your post because I find their rotation pretty easy. I go dw and bow on mine. I start with range with bow and shrouded daggers, then move into melee. There are two really big perks to them that I think will suit you. One, they get their primary buffs from one skill...power surge. It’s a class skill, so you aren’t forced into using a specific weapon. Secondly, their dark exchange converts magic into stamina. The game is huge on resource management now, and this ability means you will be able to fight for a lot longer than most other classs.

Magic Templar

This is just an amazingly versatile class. The jabs will let you play through most anything and never die. They’ve got a good blend of range and melee attacks, and an execute that is fun and lethal. I personally like them better than mag sorcs...the jabs are quite repetitive, but somehow the rotation feels easier.

Stam Warden

If you opt for Morrowind, I love my stam warden almost as much as my stam sorc. They play pretty similar...the sorc has more resource management, while the stam warden has more heals. They both put out a ton of damage. The stam warden’s aoe (sub assault) is a bit hard to master, but when you get the hang of it it’s like pulling an ultimate every time. Kaboom. I hit like 8 monsters for 23k each the other day. They also get buffs from class skills, so they’re versatile with weapons.

Stamblade

I don’t get the sense you’re a stamblade player, but it’s my favorite so I have to give it a shout out, lol. Here’s the deal...I think they’re the hardest to learn, but then once learned they save a ton of time and energy by being stealthy, lethal and fun. They are squishy...but I can survive on my stamblade better than most of my other characters because it’s just how I play. And if you’re going to quest the whole map...cloak will save hundreds of hours in trash mob fights, lol.

(Yes, I’m a stamina player. I put magplars on the list just so I don’t get a call from the altmer embassy again).

Other (big) tip

If you have a vet (level 50) DK, use that character to earn champion points. You can then use those points on all your lowbie characters...they’ll really, really help.

Your vet character(s) will get something called “enlightenment”. This is basically “super charged” xp. You get to earn up to 400,000 xp at 4x the normal rate each day (a quest usually worth 8,000 xp becomes worth 32,000. An enemy kill worth 1k becomes 4k. And enlightenment xp banks up to 12 days worth (4.8 million). So your dk can help earn a ton of CPs for your lowbies, amd enlightenment will make this happen pretty dang fast.

I don’t recommend playing the dk a lot (you’re right to look for another class, they’re boring, ha). What I’d suggest is getting them in some decent gear, then having a “route” of dailies you run with them each day to earn your xp and grind the CPs. My personal route (you might not have access to all areas)

- run the kvatch world boss daily. These are always crowded and take less than ten minutes. 100k xp while enlightened
    - Run a clockwork world boss daily (75k)
    - Run a clockwork delve daily (75k)
    - Run a Morrowind delve daily (40k) or Ashlander (40k)

There are faster alternatives. You can let your enlightenment build up a bit then go do quests in the towns in Cyrodiil. You can earn 300k xp in an hour. Or buy a bunch of el cheapo alchemist and enchanting master writs (you have to max crafting first) then grind these. These are ridiculous xp....I think 100k each.

The point being that you should definitely use that vet character to start banking your CPs.