Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Need help with my build

FluttershySux
Hey,

So I'm a 200CP magicka sorc who's very out of touch with what's good right now. I'm particularly struggling with what armour set I should be using. The problem is this is my second ever character which I created 5 days ago (my last was only level 43, so I'm a newbie), and due to how fast I've levelled because of no-lifing and the event, I haven't really had enough time to research the traits I need to craft armour. So any recommendations on what droppable sets I could be using from dungeons and such would be a great help. I'd also really appreciate any suggestions for sets I could craft when I actually research the traits for them. Also, a final question I have is that are craftable sets even better than some droppable sets? I was always under the impression that craftable sets were the best you could get, but after doing some reading I'm not so sure. I am a new player though, so I'm sorry if all of this seems obvious.

Thanks! :smile:
Edited by FluttershySux on April 16, 2018 4:13AM
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Farm an overland set with magic bonuses while leveling. I wouldn't focus on crafting gear until you hit cp160. Some decent overland leveling sets are:
    Necropotence- rivenspire
    Elegance- auridon
    Withered hand- alikr desert
    Bloodthorn touch- glenumbra
    Mothers sorrow- deshaan

When you hit max level I would start looking at crafted sets like julianos or mechanical acuity. You can get decent jewelry in willpower through the group finder randoms. What platform are you on? Maybe someone can help out.
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for sets (Craftable, BoE, BoP) it all depends on what you're doing, how you play etc... for example Craftable Mechanical Acuity is a great all round set & Julianos is great for power and crit. BoE sets are great if you've got lower DPS,a pet user or play solo as you can get solid power buffs rather than percentage buffs (max stats, penetration) & also extra damage/magicka when you have a pet active. BoP (Dungeons & Trials) tend to give you a percentage buff, so higher dps = higher buff.

In my experience craftable sets are better for newer players and ones who play solo as they give a static buff (crit%, max stats), BoE are good all round sets (pen, damage, proc), BoP are better for players focusing on dungeons and trials (5% to dung and trial monsters namely). You also have juicy monster sets which are good for everything & come in lots of variations.

If you're Xbox EU send me a mail & I'll be able to craft you a set of Juli and Mech Acuity for cost price (or if you have the mats) :smile:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • FluttershySux
    ryanborror wrote: »
    Farm an overland set with magic bonuses while leveling. I wouldn't focus on crafting gear until you hit cp160. Some decent overland leveling sets are:
    Necropotence- rivenspire
    Elegance- auridon
    Withered hand- alikr desert
    Bloodthorn touch- glenumbra
    Mothers sorrow- deshaan

When you hit max level I would start looking at crafted sets like julianos or mechanical acuity. You can get decent jewelry in willpower through the group finder randoms. What platform are you on? Maybe someone can help out.

Hey, I'm on PC EU. The problem is I'm already CP 220 atm, but I got there in like 5 days because I played this game literally non-stop. Because of this, I haven't had the time to research enough traits to craft the gear I need. Thanks for recommending some overland sets tho, I'll check those out!
  • FluttershySux
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    As for sets (Craftable, BoE, BoP) it all depends on what you're doing, how you play etc... for example Craftable Mechanical Acuity is a great all round set & Julianos is great for power and crit. BoE sets are great if you've got lower DPS,a pet user or play solo as you can get solid power buffs rather than percentage buffs (max stats, penetration) & also extra damage/magicka when you have a pet active. BoP (Dungeons & Trials) tend to give you a percentage buff, so higher dps = higher buff.

In my experience craftable sets are better for newer players and ones who play solo as they give a static buff (crit%, max stats), BoE are good all round sets (pen, damage, proc), BoP are better for players focusing on dungeons and trials (5% to dung and trial monsters namely). You also have juicy monster sets which are good for everything & come in lots of variations.

If you're Xbox EU send me a mail & I'll be able to craft you a set of Juli and Mech Acuity for cost price (or if you have the mats) :smile:

Thanks for the reply, that's really helpful. I've saw a lot of people saying Julianos and Mechanical Acuity are good sets, so I think I'll definitely make those when I can. Unfortunately I'm not on Xbox tho :neutral:
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FluttershySux No problem, for mag characters I always see both sets being referenced in endgame & solo builds, just because mechanical acuity gives you 1/3 up time on 100% crit, where as Julianos is one of the strongest solid stat boosts you can get :smile:

I'm sure someone will come to the rescue and offer a craft, if not have a look in the guilds section most guilds will have a nominated master crafter who'll do anything for cost/mat price.
    Edited by Sparr0w on April 17, 2018 4:38PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Sparrow says, Julianos is an ideal base set. It’s just a very versatile set that offers the right balance of power for a mag sorc. Or any mag toon.

Since you can’t craft it yet, you might consider asking someone to craft you a set. People are typically really willing to help out, and it shouldn’t cost you much. Ask in text chat in your guilds or just in the zone with the station. On my characters, I like to carry a set of Julianos *in every piece*. That way when I have multiple setups I can mix and match with drop sets without having to find specific pieces.

If you decide to go this route, ask a crafter to make you a heavy chest, then the other six pieces in light. Have them make you two staffs...your choice. The body pieces can be all divines. On weapons the current meta is nirnhoned and infused, but since this is a first vet for you, you can just go double sharpened. To make these nine pieces, you’d want to hand your crafter:

800 ancestor silk
    240 ruby ash wood
    150 rubedite
    7 divines trait stones

Trust me, this will save you time and energy. You won’t have to run all over trying to farm a build from scratch. One reason people use a craft set is because it can be a PAIN to get weapons you want in drop sets. You’re going to spend twice as long and twice as much gold looking for drop sets than just getting a crafter to make Julianos, which is better anyway.

You’ll still need a secondary drop set...and maybe you still don’t want to hire a crafter. Magic builds are pretty versatile with their sets, and a lot of combos work just fine. Here are some sets that work fine, and are easy to farm or cheap to buy. Note: if I mark it a dolmen set, it means you can farm jewelry at dolmens in the set’s zones. For what you want, you can start with green/blue jewelry, which drops pretty fast. Test the build with the lower quality jewelry...if you decide it’s a keeper, farm purple later. It’s not a huge step up for you at this point...earns more CPs is more helpful.

Seducer or Magnus: these are also craft sets, but they’re 3 and 4 trait sets. You could probably be ready to craft them in a week if you have a crafter working on research heavily. (FYI, I used an iOS / Android app called ESO Workbench, which was invaluable in helping me track my research.)

Mother’s Sorrow: drop set, dolmens, Deshaan. This is a B+ set that offers a ton of crit.

Necropotence: drop, dolmen, rivenspire. Great if you run a pet.

Spinners: drop, dolmen, Malabal tor.

• FluttershySux
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    @FluttershySux No problem, for mag characters I always see both sets being referenced in endgame & solo builds, just because mechanical acuity gives you 1/3 up time on 100% crit, where as Julianos is one of the strongest solid stat boosts you can get :smile:

I'm sure someone will come to the rescue and offer a craft, if not have a look in the guilds section most guilds will have a nominated master crafter who'll do anything for cost/mat price.

They sure did! I have a full set of Julianos now :)
  • FluttershySux
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Like Sparrow says, Julianos is an ideal base set. It’s just a very versatile set that offers the right balance of power for a mag sorc. Or any mag toon.

Since you can’t craft it yet, you might consider asking someone to craft you a set. People are typically really willing to help out, and it shouldn’t cost you much. Ask in text chat in your guilds or just in the zone with the station. On my characters, I like to carry a set of Julianos *in every piece*. That way when I have multiple setups I can mix and match with drop sets without having to find specific pieces.

If you decide to go this route, ask a crafter to make you a heavy chest, then the other six pieces in light. Have them make you two staffs...your choice. The body pieces can be all divines. On weapons the current meta is nirnhoned and infused, but since this is a first vet for you, you can just go double sharpened. To make these nine pieces, you’d want to hand your crafter:

800 ancestor silk
    240 ruby ash wood
    150 rubedite
    7 divines trait stones

Trust me, this will save you time and energy. You won’t have to run all over trying to farm a build from scratch. One reason people use a craft set is because it can be a PAIN to get weapons you want in drop sets. You’re going to spend twice as long and twice as much gold looking for drop sets than just getting a crafter to make Julianos, which is better anyway.

You’ll still need a secondary drop set...and maybe you still don’t want to hire a crafter. Magic builds are pretty versatile with their sets, and a lot of combos work just fine. Here are some sets that work fine, and are easy to farm or cheap to buy. Note: if I mark it a dolmen set, it means you can farm jewelry at dolmens in the set’s zones. For what you want, you can start with green/blue jewelry, which drops pretty fast. Test the build with the lower quality jewelry...if you decide it’s a keeper, farm purple later. It’s not a huge step up for you at this point...earns more CPs is more helpful.

Seducer or Magnus: these are also craft sets, but they’re 3 and 4 trait sets. You could probably be ready to craft them in a week if you have a crafter working on research heavily. (FYI, I used an iOS / Android app called ESO Workbench, which was invaluable in helping me track my research.)

Mother’s Sorrow: drop set, dolmens, Deshaan. This is a B+ set that offers a ton of crit.

Necropotence: drop, dolmen, rivenspire. Great if you run a pet.

Spinners: drop, dolmen, Malabal tor.

Sorry for getting back to you so late. This was super helpful, I have a full set of Julianos now and all I need is the secondary set, which I'm thinking about Mother's Sorrow for. You also saved me a ton of time with what materials I'd need to hand over. Thank you!