The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Traits and Maelstrom staves

imnotanother
imnotanother
✭✭✭✭✭
So I am almost have 200 transmute crystals so I want to change traits on kne of these staves.

I have an Maelstrom Inferno- what is the best trait sharpened? Nirnhoned?

I also have a Maelstrom Restoration staff with Powered. Seems like that trait would be fine to keep on there for a healer. Or should I change it?

I know these staves aren’t necessarily BiS but just looking to use the crystals before losing them.
PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready

Best Answers

• Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the use. My guild runs infused on infernos.

For healing, I use powered nowadays. Infused is also an option. No other traits else really benefit healing.
    Answer ✓
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear -- how does the Maelstrom destro buff work? Does it depend on which bar cast the Blockade, or on which bar the light attack itself is made from?

As long as you cast Blockade on the same bar as the equipped VMA staff, the LA buff will carry over to the front bar. Most magic builds back bar a VMA staff and therfore back bar elemental blockade.

As to traits for VMA Destro staves, infused is the most common answer for most builds. You pair it with a spell power enchant, and run it on your back bar. There are arguments for nirn if you spend a lot of time on your back bar, and/or AOE dps from that bar. There are arguments for sharpened when you play solo, but sharp shouldn't be used in a group.

As to the resto, Powered is a solid trait. You can certainly make arguments for precise or nirn, but I think you are splitting hairs.

I use a charged lighting staff on a few builds as well, but I would only go charged if you have a few staffs to spare. Its pretty situational stuff. For example, when I do questing on my DK, I front bar blockade and a charged lighting staff. You basically always proc your first flamelash, so you can just go LA>Blockade, LA>Flame lash and most things in overland content are toast.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on April 13, 2018 8:43PM
    Answer ✓
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. So I just Powered one of my VMA lightning Staves for my Healer's Destro Bar.
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use charged Maelstrom Lightning for my healer. With shock enchant, you have 84% chance to proc off balance.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on April 13, 2018 5:48PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear -- how does the Maelstrom destro buff work? Does it depend on which bar cast the Blockade, or on which bar the light attack itself is made from?
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@FrancisCrawford

Blockade should be cast from the bar you have your vMA staff on. Light attacks will be buffed from either bar.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You loose the crystals? @imnotanother

PC EU
    PvP only
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Danksta wrote: »

@FrancisCrawford

Blockade should be cast from the bar you have your vMA staff on. Light attacks will be buffed from either bar.

Thanks! That seemed likely given how popular the staff is, but the tooltip seemed to say the opposite, so I wanted to check.