The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there a way to play the game without steam?

Bbsample197
Bbsample197
✭✭✭✭
its a HOT mess and i dont want anything to do with steam this time around, i bought this game on that platform and now im starting to regret it!
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    not without buying directly, paying and starting over
    Edited by Gythral on April 12, 2018 3:29PM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    not without buying directly, paying and starting over

so if theres a problem on steam, those who bought it there were screwed either way?

that suck and i hope they make it so we can still play it without steam
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have steam and can just start the game from desktop.
  • mike_skleinub17_ESO
    I played on PC for a long time until I came to console. Never used steam once.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe go in the game files and access the launcher that way? There has to be an exe there.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cant you just download the client from the eso website and log in through that?

(*note that this MAY need you to redownload the entire game as the file structure etc... may not be the same as through steam)

note that the download link is on the account page of eso, for steam users that means you probably have to link your steam account to zos. THEN login into you eso account page and you SHOULD have the link.

or someone can be nice enough to provide the client download link here
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they would make it possible to unlink account even when you bought the game from steam, it would be the greatest day in my entire life! Well, that was kinda depressing...
    PC/EU
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am the exact opposite. I dont play any games if they are not available on Steam.
  • parkerdubberb16_ESO
    If your game is up to date (which should unless despite they said none was required, there is a patch after today's maintenance), you can try launch the game using the executable in your ESO installation folder, bypassing the launcher. Although I'm not sure if Steam accounts would be able to log in without accessing from the platform.
    Edited by parkerdubberb16_ESO on April 12, 2018 3:43PM
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    Maybe go in the game files and access the launcher that way? There has to be an exe there.

ye it says i need to log in using steam, ive tried over and over but it wont let me
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭

(*note that this MAY need you to redownload the entire game as the file structure etc... may not be the same as through steam)

note that the download link is on the account page of eso, for steam users that means you probably have to link your steam account to zos. THEN login into you eso account page and you SHOULD have the link.

i havent really tried it that way but i doubt it, since my account is already link with steam
  • Chickenstein
    Chickenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to your Steam Library Folder.

From there SteamApps/common/Zenimax Online/

In that folder is the .exe that Steam uses to start your game. Instead, navigate to The Elder Scrolls Online/game/client Directory and start the game from there. You'll bypass the credential things steam does with the launcher (that's my guess) and have to enter your username and password directly.

Other than that, you'll always have to possibility to directly download the game and play it from there; however I don't see that this is necessary. I can use either way.
    Orc Harvester: It's about picking flowers and smashing things
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that hard to put a shortcut on your desktop and launch the game without Steam.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i havent really tried it that way but i doubt it, since my account is already link with steam

I'm basing this off of the asumption that your account works at for example's, a friend's house that has the game installed and game client, without steam. If this is indeed the case, than above suggestion really should work.
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    If they would make it possible to unlink account even when you bought the game from steam, it would be the greatest day in my entire life! Well, that was kinda depressing...
    Your fault you bought on Steam.
    Uviryth wrote: »
    I am the exact opposite. I dont play any games if they are not available on Steam.
    Me too.

In that folder is the .exe that Steam uses to start your game. Instead, navigate to The Elder Scrolls Online/game/client Directory and start the game from there. You'll bypass the credential things steam does with the launcher (that's my guess) and have to enter your username and password directly.

Other than that, you'll always have to possibility to directly download the game and play it from there; however I don't see that this is necessary. I can use either way.
    ZiRM wrote: »
    It's not that hard to put a shortcut on your desktop and launch the game without Steam.
    I'm basing this off of the asumption that your account works at for example's, a friend's house that has the game installed and game client, without steam. If this is indeed the case, than above suggestion really should work.
    No, it doesn't work as when you buy ESO on Steam you don't enter credentials at all.

It only works if you rebuyed ESO on Steam so you already had ESO account.
    Edited by exiars10 on April 12, 2018 3:54PM
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • Chickenstein
    Chickenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    exiars10 wrote: »
    Me too.

No, it doesn't work as when you buy ESO on Steam you don't enter credentials at all.

It only works if you rebuyed ESO on Steam.

Errrr ... for sure it works :) my kid has a steam ESO account and I just did it there exactly like I described.
  • slitrage
    slitrage
    You can start the game using \Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe, but you cannot login, it won't let you. Says you have to go through the Steam interface.
  • gogago
    gogago
    ✭✭

Tried that but it say that name or password are incorect (I used the one from ESO site log in) and if I brought the game via steam to try to log in via Steam :(
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭

this is probably my only way imo, cause launching the game using the exe file or the launcher on the steam folders doesnt really bypass it, it just says a warning of "launch the game using the steam client" it really ticks me off
    [snip]
    [Edit for discussion of piracy]
    Edited by ZOS_MattL on June 15, 2018 2:20PM
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    Me too.

It only works if you rebuyed ESO on Steam.

Errrr ... for sure it works :) my kid has a steam ESO account and I just did it there exactly like I described.
    I explained how - only if you rebuyed ESO on Steam so you already have ESO account otherwise it doesn't work.
    When I enter my ESO account credentials I get message to start with Steam. And I created ESO account much later as when you buy ESO on Steam you don't create real ESO account.
    slitrage wrote: »
    You can start the game using \Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe, but you cannot login, it won't let you. Says you have to go through the Steam interface.
    You are correct. It only works for people who rebuyed ESO on Steam so they already have ESO account.
    Edited by exiars10 on April 12, 2018 4:00PM
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • Chickenstein
    Chickenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct. It only works for people who rebuyed ESO on Steam so they already have ESO account.

OK, I'll have to take that as it is. However, I swear it is not the case with the account I just tried - perhaps it's a matter of when the account was purchased on Steam. That one was definitely (!) bought on Steam.
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I bought the game on Steam in April of 2017 and I could log in using eso64.exe just now. My wife can't though and I don't get why...
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i remember right steam made it where you can no longer do this i bought it off steam long long ago and don't need steam to play but steam changed this since they want you to buy crowns/chapters on steam so they can get a profit
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭

OK, I'll have to take that as it is. However, I swear it is not the case with the account I just tried - perhaps it's a matter of when the account was purchased on Steam. That one was definitely (!) bought on Steam.

No, I bought the game on Steam in April of 2017 and I could log in using eso64.exe just now. My wife can't though and I don't get why...
    Did you play game before on stand alone laucher and than rebought on Steam?
    I bought ESO in 12/2017 and when I enter my ESO account credentials I get message to log in via Steam.

• exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    If i remember right steam made it where you can no longer do this i bought it off steam long long ago and don't need steam to play but steam changed this since they want you to buy crowns/chapters on steam so they can get a profit
    You don't understand how things work.

If you want to sell game on Steam (like on Xbox and PS), devs/publishers have to offer everything to be purchable for Steam users via Steam. It's old rule which Valve created when EA used their games to redirect users directly to their store. That's the reason why there is no more new EA games on Steam.

Valve doesn't care if publishers sell separately everything as long as they sell it on Steam, too (which Ubisoft does like nobody else).

That's why only on Steam you can buy Plus Membership and Crowns and nowhere else outside ZeniMax. Many retail and digital PC games stores sell ESO and chapters, but not subscription and crowns.

Edited by exiars10 on April 12, 2018 4:11PM

• Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    y54bLrr.jpg
    to those whose still wondering what the hell were talking about, this is what im getting at if i tried launching it without steam

EDIT: sorry its so small i just cropped it out of a screenshot
    Edited by Bbsample197 on April 12, 2018 4:12PM
  • Chickenstein
    Chickenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you play game before on stand alone laucher and than rebought on Steam?
    I bought ESO in 12/2017 and when I enter my ESO account credentials I get message to log in via Steam.

The account I'm talking about (my kids') was definitely NOT played before it was bought on Steam. However, it was bought long before yours (my guess would be 2016).

I must not rule out as it's an old PC of mine, that at some point in the past this has been used by *my* standalone account (again: this is not active on that PC anymore), so maybe there are some files that Steam does not install.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open the folder containing the ESO install and launch it directly via eso64.exe, then log in via your ESO account. Always worked for me.
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    Open the folder containing the ESO install and launch it directly via eso64.exe, then log in via your ESO account. Always worked for me.
    y54bLrr.jpg
    to those whose still wondering what the hell were talking about, this is what im getting at if i tried launching it without steam

EDIT: sorry its so small i just cropped it out of a screenshot

read my previous post im tired of explaining this
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't understand how things work.

If you want to sell game on Steam (like on Xbox and PS), devs/publishers have to offer everything to be purchable for Steam users via Steam. It's old rule which Valve created when EA used their games to redirect users directly to their store. That's the reason why there is no more new EA games on Steam.

Valve doesn't care if publishers sell separately everything as long as they sell it on Steam, too (which Ubisoft does like nobody else).

That's why only on Steam you can buy Plus Membership and Crowns and nowhere else outside ZeniMax. Many retail and digital PC games stores sell ESO and chapters, but not subscription and crowns.

That's not what i was talking about i am talking about buying the game on steam and not using steam to play
    they don't like that since you don't buy the chapters / dlc from them they don't get a piece of the pie

Basically if you bought the game a long time ago grats don't need steam
    If you bought it in the last year or so tho on steam you are out of luck...
    Edited by Valkysas154 on April 12, 2018 4:36PM