Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Templar/Dk question

Tukolp
Tukolp
Hello there my fellow friends, I want to ask you a question,

I would like to be a 2hander damage dealer or tank, in ESO, made a high elf templar but just realized that if i deal damage with 2h i need to lvl stam, but high elves get bonus only to magicka.
Should I make a new race ?, or can I keep playing with my high elf templar and still be a meelee damager, I jsut like to destory things with my huge blade :D, Came from wow, played a paladin and was thinking will make a paladin style caracter, so picked a templar.

What sould I build, for soloing stuff, and making damage/tank role.
Which abilities are the best for a 2hander/stamina templar ?

Still realy new to this game, so any help or advises are realy welcome, :)
Thank you for helping me :)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can keep your High Elf as a stamina character, but he'll never be as powerful as he'd be if you used a race that was better suited for stamina. Redguards and Bosmers are awesome for stamina builds, because they have the best stamina sustain out of all the races (meaning you won't run out of stamina easily).
    A high elf would run out of stamina faster, and would take a hit to the damage they do, since melee weapon skills from 2-handed and dual wield scale from the character's maximum stamina.

If it were me, I'd do a race change. The nice thing is that you can play with the high elf for a while, and always do a race change later if you feel he's not powerful enough.

(*Edit* Bosmers are Wood Elves. Thought I'd mention that since not every new player knows this already.)
    Edited by SydneyGrey on April 12, 2018 12:35PM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heyhey
    normally magicka classes dont use 2h weapons in pve content. it actually provides a huge base spelldamage, but light and heavy attacks from your 2h will be weak, when you invest into magicka. since 2h is a stamina weapon, a stamina templar would surely have better damage, but most skills from the 2h skillline are inferio damage wise to those from dual wield. thats why atm dual wield/bow setups are the meta in pve for damage. if you dont care about minmaxing and dont play competitive stuff (vet trails as example), you surely can stay on your 2h wielding magicka templar. it will not be bad at all, actually the damage from your magicka skills will be high, only the light and heavy attacks will be low. for some damage increase, you can backbar a destruction staff for wall of elements, then change for your class skills to the 2h bar and finish off whats left (if the enemy still is alive after elemental blockade disappears, just go back to the destro bar and cast it once more and proceed with the 2h skillbar.
    also stamina would be a possibility as long as you arent minmaxing, the race doesnt matter much. so also an altmer can dish out a good amount of damage. just as already mention, dual wield provides the better damage skills than 2h weapons. if you still want to stay with your 2h and go stamina, i recommend to cast the brawler skill once (a cleave ability), then proceed with the stamina morph of crescent sweeps and as soon enemies getting below 50% you can start executing them with reverse slice. again if enemies have still a lot of health, you need to recast brawler from time to time, since it adds a bleed dot.

play as you like, everything is viable till to the point, where you have to decide to play competitive. then you need to think about minmaxing and going meta, but till that point even an altmer can go 2h and stamina, it doesnt matter that much.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are at a low level and don't mind, you'll get more value out of rerolling to a stamina-oriented race. That being said, plenty of people play "non-optimal" race+build combinations and do just fine in 99 percent of content.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Tukolp
    Tukolp
    Just curious,
    And what about Dragonknights are they a better class to solo content or templars?
    Cause I saw some ladderboards with some "solo chalenge" or something, there were be only templars lol.

Fo the second question, if I make a stamina templar, with a stamina race, what happen with my mag abilities ? I mean they will be useless?
    And how i will heal myself, I mean the value or spell of a heal can come from some stamina ability ?
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you refer to the solo challenge maehlstrom arena, then you only saw the numbers of the templars, because the different classes are divided into different rankings. if you change the class there, you will see that templars rather have low scores compared to other classes.
    magicka abilities will be pretty weak, if you spec for stamina. but in the end you will use them only to buff up like channeling focus for example. to heal yourself there a few possibilties with stamina chars. one skill is in the 2h weapon line and is called momentum. one morph of it provides a burst heal. another skillis vigor, the best stamina heal in the game. its locked in the alliance skill line and will be usable after you did some pvp. otherwise you need to rely on skills, which heal passively like the one morph of rapid strikes or rending slashes. both are in the dual wield skill line.
    dragonknights arent better or worse for solo content. pretty much everything is doable on all classes. dk just has some other skills, that are used mainly. like stamplars have jabs to deal damage, stamdks have venomous claw and poisonous breath as strong dots.
  • Tukolp
    Tukolp
    So if I would use a 2 hander, or maybe a shield 1h combo, and wanna heal, would be have to use mag heals, for healing, but if I don't push points into magicka my heals from the templar healing spells will be pretty low.
    And should look for other sources than those magicka healing spells.
    Edited by Tukolp on April 12, 2018 2:40PM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes i just listed the best stamina healing skills above, you will have to unlock them, most of them are pretty easy to get.
    the same counts if you spec into stamina and use one hand and shield.
    but you could spec for magicka on a one hand an shield build, its very popular in pvp (not recomended for pve tough)