Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Having a really hard time selecting my class/race combo

mwickert30130_ESO
mwickert30130_ESO
Soul Shriven
Third time trying to get into the game, same issue as always for me. I end up just making new characters and never get further than level 20 if I'm lucky because I don't really know enough about the game to know what I want to play.

I've looked up some videos and guides and such but I still don't think I have a full grasp. If anyone has any links they suggest for more learning material that maybe hits on some of my questions or is just good for new players in general I'd love to check them out.

First off, in regards to race selection in general, how much would I be gimping myself choosing a sub optimal race? Let's say I'm not sure if I want to run magicka or stamina, if I selected something that dips into both sides like a Dunmer or Argonian, how significant would the gap be between me and then something like a High Elf or Redguard respectively? Then, what about if I went Redguard and then decided to go a magicka build - would I still be able to play the build effectively?

Next is just if there are any general differences between Stamina vs Magicka builds in general. Ie, maybe one generally has more mobility, maybe one usually uses x weapons and the other uses y, maybe one is more tanky, maybe one has better healing or utility, etc. If the differences are more class specific and don't translate between classes I'd be interested in those break downs too.

Finally I was hoping that maybe I could get some recommendations. I plan on doing mostly PvP, probably most of it solo at least at the start since I don't really know anyone who plays this game. Usually prefer ranged classes with solid survivability and group utility. I often pick the casting dps + a little bit of offhealing/support classes. WotLK era Shadow Priest and Elemental Shaman from WoW are kind of the best examples I can give for that. With so many different options for skills and such and not really knowing how everything works together it's really hard to tell how to go about figuring out what I should play. Most of the stuff I see says just pick whatever looks the coolest or play what you want types of things but I kind of know what I want but not where I'll find it if that makes sense. Plus with the new chapter that will be coming out I don't have any idea if information from a month ago will have any relevance in a month. I don't want to invest a ton of time leveling and learning a class just for it to be something that nobody wants for their groups at cap.

For anyone who got this far thanks for reading... I'll take any help I can get because my fear of missing out on the right class/race combo is actually making it impossible for me to play the game.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ESO came out I made a Redguard Templare because I liked Redguards and wanted a healer. Years later I realize that Reduards do not make the best healers and respecd the templar into stamina DPS. Play what you want, if it turns out to be less than optimal, chances are with some changes to gear and rerolling your skills/attributes, you can turn it into something pretty decent later on. By then you'll understand the game better and possibly have multiple characters.
    Edited by Ley on April 12, 2018 12:10AM
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race will only matter when you min max. You can do any content with suboptimal race for your purpose.

Stamina usually more mobile and close combat
    Magicka usually use staffs and got better ranged attacks.

If you prefer ranged then I would suggest going magicka and not dragonknight. Ranged with bow as stamina is only for ganking and buff bar imo.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • ramenwaifu
    ramenwaifu
    ✭✭
    in regards to race selection in general
    race does not block you from doing any content in the game. but it all depends on how you're going to spend your time on content. ex, dont do what i did and try to make a magplar your main and do most of the story content solo. it will either a LOT of time to get through, or you'll die a lot.
    Finally I was hoping that maybe I could get some recommendations. I plan on doing mostly PvP
    i don't have many tips for this but if you're going to look up builds for pvp, just make sure you understand that pvp builds are completely or just really different from pve builds.

good luck!
    NA PSN: Abymen
    g's waifu
    Thottie I Magplar I AD
    Tharjae I Warden I Tank I AD
    Mat'ilda I Stamblade I DC
    console peasant
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three Bosmer: Magplar healer, Magsorc lightning dps with pets, Stamsorc bow/bow. Clearly I choose race for roleplay reasons but my little elves each do great and I have no regrets. If you have your heart set on competing in end game at elite levels then I'm sure optimizing race is worthy of consideration. Race makes even less difference for healers and tanks - a bit more for optimizing dps if that is your goal.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heyhey
    i read through your post and can give some little bit of advice.
    you stated you tend to be the ranged caster or supporter char, right. for pvp this would make magicka nightblade or magicka sorcerer fit your playstyle. also magicka warden needs to be considered, since it also has a lot of support and healing skills in its toolkit. magplar and magdk are melee fighters, so i wouldnt choose them. genereally all stamina classes are meant to be played as melee fighters too. only exception would be the sniper playstyle. there a stamina nightblade with bow and a 2h will actually be best for.
    lets just assume you stick to the ranged magicka classes. normally they decide to have a destruction staff on their offensive bar, since you will find additional ranged abilities there. fire staff is best for actually any single target attacks, but sorcerers can benefit from lightning staves, when you build around it. for magwardens also an icestaff needs to be considered, since they h^already have some ice abilties in their toolkit. on the backbar all three classes normally use a healing staff and the skill healing ward. additionally those three classes excel at playing in light armor together with the damage shield skill from light armor. sorcerer also have an additional damage shield skill in their toolkit.

anyway if you want o play pvp mostly, i recommend joining "lfg" groups for the beginning. solo is very dangerous and frustrating as a new player, so going with a group, where you arent the first target most of times will make it easier to learn how to pvp. i strongly also recommend joining a pvp guild. ask around in the pvp chat for that. most pvp guilds also can teach you a lot about pvp and about coordinated group play. when you feel more familiar with pvp you can start doing solo.

also there are pvp guides and pvp build guides on youtube, also beginner friendly ones. maybe there you also find a lot of valuable tipps.

btw i cant just ignore the statement about magplars are *** for soloing content. they arent, its actually very easy, since you only need puncturing sweeps and you will get through everything, since it does nice damage and heals you for quite an amount.
  • mwickert30130_ESO
    mwickert30130_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Checkmath wrote: »
    heyhey
    i read through your post and can give some little bit of advice.
    you stated you tend to be the ranged caster or supporter char, right. for pvp this would make magicka nightblade or magicka sorcerer fit your playstyle. also magicka warden needs to be considered, since it also has a lot of support and healing skills in its toolkit. magplar and magdk are melee fighters, so i wouldnt choose them. genereally all stamina classes are meant to be played as melee fighters too. only exception would be the sniper playstyle. there a stamina nightblade with bow and a 2h will actually be best for.
    lets just assume you stick to the ranged magicka classes. normally they decide to have a destruction staff on their offensive bar, since you will find additional ranged abilities there. fire staff is best for actually any single target attacks, but sorcerers can benefit from lightning staves, when you build around it. for magwardens also an icestaff needs to be considered, since they h^already have some ice abilties in their toolkit. on the backbar all three classes normally use a healing staff and the skill healing ward. additionally those three classes excel at playing in light armor together with the damage shield skill from light armor. sorcerer also have an additional damage shield skill in their toolkit.

anyway if you want o play pvp mostly, i recommend joining "lfg" groups for the beginning. solo is very dangerous and frustrating as a new player, so going with a group, where you arent the first target most of times will make it easier to learn how to pvp. i strongly also recommend joining a pvp guild. ask around in the pvp chat for that. most pvp guilds also can teach you a lot about pvp and about coordinated group play. when you feel more familiar with pvp you can start doing solo.

also there are pvp guides and pvp build guides on youtube, also beginner friendly ones. maybe there you also find a lot of valuable tipps.

btw i cant just ignore the statement about magplars are *** for soloing content. they arent, its actually very easy, since you only need puncturing sweeps and you will get through everything, since it does nice damage and heals you for quite an amount.

Thank you this helps a lot.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yessss got an awesome on it ;)

haha glad that i could help