Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Skill Advisor, Builds, and All That Jazz

Ardaghion
Ardaghion
✭✭✭
I have 4 characters, one reached level 50 before Skill Advisor, the others are level 16, 29, and 30. I've looked at the Skill Advisor and considered using it to some degree, in fact I respeced by main and used a few of the recommendations after changing the build to suit what I wanted.

Looking at my other characters, I have a NightBlade that will be a thief and assassin only, doesn't seem that any SA build suits her. For that one I might wing it or look at other's recommendations.

My other characters are a Templar and a DragonKnight, the Templar started out as my attempt at working towards a tank but I'm thinking the DK might be a better tank and the Templar could be a healer. What's got me a bit perplexed, and the reason I started this post, is that the Skill Advisor has a tank health build option. This seems odd to me since there aren't any skills that require health, although there are passives that will increase health or at least make a tank tougher.

I guess my biggest decisions are what to do with the Templar and the DK. The Templar is a huge, beefy Nord and it feels odd to think about making him some resto staff wielding healer, he just look like he should be swinging some serious metal and bashing heads. The DK is an Imperial and she could be a healer although I've found her to be pretty proficient at sword and board.

My main is an Altmer MagSorc at CP 360, my NB is a Wood Elf at level 29, my Nord Templar at level 30, and my Imperial DK is at level 16.
  • chuckaloco
    Nord is better for tank roles, with provisioning you can make a serious impact. Templar does pretty good damage and healing not as much for resistance buffs so I think if you want to play a Templar, run an Argonian healer with resto and destro staves. I’m not a fan of DK but I think if you want to play a tank I’d play a Warden or DK, DK is the worst class for healer role so pretty much not worth it if you intend to play PVP, you can pretty do any class/role/race for PVE although some are better than others.
    Healer classes in order are Templar, Warden, Nightblade, Sorcerer, DK so take from that what you will.
    Edited by chuckaloco on April 11, 2018 10:47PM
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried PvP and at my age and eyesight it's probably not recommended, by me. So I'm going to stick with PvE for now.

Sounds like I'd need to make some new characters! Maybe for now I'll try a health based tanky healer for my Nord Templar and for my DK a stamina based pure tank. They will just be for my own fun and I won't inflict them on any groups!
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some skills in the game affected by your max health.

For dk that would be "dragon blood" + "green dragon blood" and "obsidian shield" are health based.

For Templar sun shield is health based.

Altough I think the skill advisor say health based bcs it will advice you to put your stat points into health.

Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heyhey i just read your post. An imperial dk is very nice suited to go for a tank spec. But also a stamina based damage dealer is possible thanks the increased stamina bonus imperials have. For the templar, there you can go for anything actually: tank, healer or stamina damage dealer. Dont think that your race needs to define, what you want to do with the character. Surely some specs benefit from specific classes, bit the differences to a non-suiting class isnt that much. As you stated, age and eyesight may limit what you play, but i think the content, which you want to play is playable with any spec not mattering which race you have. Races only need to be considered, when you want to minmax your build and when you want to do competitive stuff.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to work on making the Nord Templar a stamina tank, the Imperial DK a stamina DD and for a healer I just created a Breton Warden. Obviously, these 3 characters will need to train so I'm not going to focus that hard on their roles until they are leveled up.

I think I'll look at some leveling guides later since these characters are mostly for fun. I don't think the Skill Advisor is useless so I'll take the advised skills with a grain of salt.