The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will a dual-core processor benefit from Multi Core support?

Parthrax0923
Parthrax0923
✭✭✭
With the dual-core support coming, will a PC with an intel pentium G4560 (dual-core processor) run better when multi core support is added? I have a 2nd PC my friend could use. That’s why I’m asking. Will the performance be noticeably different?
Fus Ro Dah!
  • ZOS_Edward
    ZOS_Edward
    Community Rep
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

The multi-core support mentioned is going to show improvement in Quad Core and greater computers as mentioned here:
    Quad Cores will see a slight increase but the processors with higher cores will see a greater impact. <-- code gang confirmed 2.0
    Staff Post
  • Zaaroc
    Zaaroc
    Whilst the g4560 is a dual core, it has 4 actual threads via hyper-threading. Therefore, it's to some extent a quad core. You might see some improvement, perhaps not as much as on a true quad core though.
    A man walks into a zoo. The only animal in the entire zoo is a dog.
    It's a Shih Tzu.

Officer of Tamriel Marketeers, part of TTU.
    Proud member of Alith
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Edward wrote: »
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

The multi-core support mentioned is going to show improvement in Quad Core and greater computers as mentioned here:
    Quad Cores will see a slight increase but the processors with higher cores will see a greater impact. <-- code gang confirmed 2.0

Will consoles see any improvement from multicore support?

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

Will consoles see any improvement from multicore support?
    Client Performance: We have increased the amount of cpu cores used by the client which should improve framerate for players on mid to high end CPU's on PC platforms. On consoles and PC we have improved how characters are composited resulting in faster character loads and less framerate spikes.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5001021

Consoles will only benefit from the improved character compositing.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 7, 2018 6:42PM
  • misfitmanic
    misfitmanic
    ✭✭✭
    AMD FX-8350 here. Super excited for this.
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

Is this a limit on the amount of cores ESO will use? Is there an advantage of having above 6 cores? 8 cores?
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

Will it improve performance on console?
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

No, because they are optimized from the beginning for the hardware. Computers have such varying hardware, and zos is too nice. They allowed antique equipment to run this game for far too long. Seriously, 32bit was outdated by years when the game launched in 2014.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

Will duo core computers see any reduction in performance or will my i3 3.7 ghz continue on as it has? I’m happy with it.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Parthrax0923,

No, because they are optimized from the beginning for the hardware. Computers have such varying hardware, and zos is too nice. They allowed antique equipment to run this game for far too long. Seriously, 32bit was outdated by years when the game launched in 2014.
    PS4 and One run an amd 8 core 64bit cpu. Its however slowly clocked as it was primarily an laptop cpu as I understand.
    This patch should do wonders if it had worked on consoles.

Instead it looks like it will give i7 + 1080ti players like this one 60fps in cyrodil zergs, something who is nice but not very important.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • VilniusNastavnik
    VilniusNastavnik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With ESO running on 1 core, 2 threads at the moment, I'm gonna see a hell of a difference when I get to open up the other 3 cores.. even more when I upgrade to 8 core in the coming months.
    Active Toons:
    NA - VilniusNastavnik - Magsorc DPS - Altmer
    NA - Ko'h Nehko'h - Stamblade Archer - Khajit
    NA - Arwyn Winterlight - MagPlar Healer - Breton
    NA - Urog Blackfang - DK Tank - Orc
    NA - Elen Windsong - Stamsorc DPS - Bosmer
    NA - Eats-Strange-Fungus - Magden HealzTank- Argonian
    NA - Harwyn Northwind - MagWarden DPS - High Elf
    NA - Raises-Many-Families - Necro HealzTank - Argonian

Picture of my Active Toons.

Obligatory ESO Fashion website plug: Vil's Portfolio
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wonder how all of this will work, or won't work, with hyper-threading?
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zaaroc wrote: »
    Whilst the g4560 is a dual core, it has 4 actual threads via hyper-threading. Therefore, it's to some extent a quad core. You might see some improvement, perhaps not as much as on a true quad core though.
    Uh...no, it's dual core.

Four thread, four logical processors, still only dual core.

Separate cores utilize their own dedicated hardware connections. Hyperthreaded logical cores share hardware. HT is great if your CPU has extra processor time available, but it's not the same as having actual dedicated cores.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on April 8, 2018 8:14PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh...no, it's dual core.

Separate cores utilize their own dedicated hardware connections. Hyperthreaded logical cores share hardware. HT is great if your CPU has extra processor time available, but it's not the same as having actual dedicated cores.

I would send someone out to buy a used computer before I'd recommend that junk.
    No company should still be selling dual core desktop cpus. The fact its from 2017 makes it worse.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Parthrax0923,

I'm assuming this new support isn't going to be in the Console build?
    Edited by ArchMikem on April 8, 2018 10:50PM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Parthrax0923 meaning those with nuclear powerplants (like myself) will/should benefit greatly.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My I7-6900k 8 core 16 thread oc’d to 4.1GHZ is gonna love this.
    Edited by Skwor on April 8, 2018 11:30PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »
    My I-6900k 8 core 16 thread oc’d to 4.1GHZ is gonna love this.

I actually read that as your Processor overdosed on 4.1GHz.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid my i7 6700 slightly benefit means won't gain more than 1-2 fps. :'(
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Skwor wrote: »
    My I-6900k 8 core 16 thread oc’d to 4.1GHZ is gonna love this.

I actually read that as your Processor overdosed on 4.1GHz.

LMAO nice!
  • Zaaroc
    Zaaroc
    Uh...no, it's dual core.

I thought my explanation of it being a "fake" quadcore was obvious enough :P Yes, it has only two cores, but seeing it has more threads available means that you -might- see a small performance gain, compared to a 2c/2t processor, seeing how ESO's mainly running on two threads it seems. I fully agree though, mind you: a current 2c/4t will never outperform a current 4c/4t due to shared hardware limitations.
    A man walks into a zoo. The only animal in the entire zoo is a dog.
    It's a Shih Tzu.

Officer of Tamriel Marketeers, part of TTU.
    Proud member of Alith
  • grim_tactics
    grim_tactics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more time that goes by, the more I realize this game was never meant to run optimally on console.

I put so many hours into this game that I just don’t have the time to do so on PC now that I have a good rig, but trying to PvP with any seriousness on console is impossible.

I was hoping that at some point ZOS would do something to fix the insane lag on console but now it’s apparent that everything going forward is focused on PC and console gets the scraps.

@ZOS_GinaBruno very disappointed you all will not address this issue and just ignore the console crowd.

Maybe once I change jobs I’ll have the time to jump on PC and grind all the stuff over again, but at the moment the constant frame rate drops, perma-snare slow walking, and not being able to bar swap will be the PvP experience during peak times going forward.
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭
    I did this in UserSettings tuned for 4 core usage:

SET MaxCoresToUse "4"
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "4"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "4"

I feel a more fluid experience with a few of bottlenecks. I think is because game is not multiprocesing optimized yet.

Note: The first option come with 8 and last 2 options come with 1 instead of 4 in my case.
    Edited by abelsgmx on May 17, 2018 4:31PM