Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

Any recommendations for a "Starter" House?

Tygerfire
Tygerfire
✭✭
I have the quested apartment, but in a small room, I find its not really worth the effort to be that creative. Also, my guild has an incredible house with all of the crafting stuff and npc's available, so I wouldn't really bother with that.

Basically, I'm just considering a basic house (no more than a million or 2 or 3 thousand crowns) that might be convieniently located (I basically use Belkarth as a homebase now) to banks, thieve's guild, traders etc..

I know I could tour these myself, but there are an awful lot, so I thought the masses might have already formed some opinions about good values and certain places to avoid.

Even though there's not a real benefit to having my own house, having maxed crafters and accumulating so many diagrams and materials, I almost feel like I have to mess around with it.

Or should I just save my money and crowns.
  • Bowser
    Bowser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodilic Jungle House. It costs under 100k gold, has plenty of room for bankers and crafting stations, and is located right next to a wayshrine and stablemaster.
    @King-Koopa
    World First DK Tank Execute on Rakkhat HM
    Play how you want - no meta allowed!
  • Tygerfire
    Tygerfire
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that recommendation, that's probably one of the best value houses I've seen.

As far as the reason for getting a house now, I apologize. After taking a bit of a break from the game, I didn't realize they now had housing storage.

This is a huge incentive to, if nothing else, utilize my apartments and finally start with some crafting writs I've been hoarding.

Looking into the storage update, I also discovered the new "level-up" reward system, and it was a great incentive to create my stamina Warden finally.
  • Bellamy
    Bellamy
    ✭✭✭
    You might also enjoy Sleek Creek, which is a fairly cheap medium sized house that is also right next to Rawl'kha, so good access to crafting stations, writs and turn ins, bank, outlaw refuge right by your door, and popular guild traders. I also personally jusr love the view and water feature.
    @Be11amy
    PC | NA | CP340
    Rhase | Dunmer | Magplar DPS
    Jo'lli | Khajiit | Warden Healer
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the two mentioned homes (jungle house and sleek creek). They’re great starter homes. A third for more ambitious decorators in Mournoth Keep in bangkorai. For the price, you get a load of space...indoor and outdoor, with huge patios and a lot of potential. It’s also right by a wayshrine.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There really is no substitute for touring the houses--there are so many variables. Do you want an outdoor area? A deck? multiple rooms? etc. etc.

One thing I will point out: some architecture is easier to "customize." The Jungle House is a good one for this, pretty much any crafted furnishing style looks okay there. Breton houses are relatively neutral, too. Sleek Creek is a great house with good features for the cost, but I have a hard time making khajiit architecture work, visually, with a lot of cool furnishings.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Tygerfire
    Tygerfire
    ✭✭
    So I just realized I can only put 2 of my storage chests in an apt, so now housing is sort of a must.

What size houses are these listed as above, and how many chests can I put in them?

Thanks again for the help.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would also recommend Black Vine Villa in Malabal Tor. It is lacking a bank and a couple other things but it is close to 2 way shrines, a delve, a dolmen, market and stable. I find them dolmen to be nice and I also like the style. If my memory serves me correctly it is only 53,000 gold.
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recommend Ravenhurst in Rivenspire, cheap, 2 Floors, Big Garden and, awesome for Thieving, Farming, Fishing, and a set (necropotence) that sells really good, millions of Bugs and Butterflies, you just need to buy the basic crafting stations, that is missing there.
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cyrodillic jungle house has a nice garden you can do a lot with and is a good starter house with a nice view and there’s a wayshrine just outside. It’s one of many houses I have and mine is set up with a lot trees etc to be a simple place to getaway and relax.
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all my homes the one I use as a hearth most is Sleek Creek, it was also my first home. The location is everything, best traders, outlaws refuge a few steps from your door, all the crafting stations and the bank right there.
    Sleek Creek IMO is one of the best starter homes for location, for space and atmosphere I would go with Ald Velothi on Vvardenfell.
    Edited by Dystopia2020 on April 11, 2018 3:16PM
    Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with Sleek Creek, it’s a medium size house so you can fit all your storage chests in there.

Also conveniently located to all of the things you originally mentioned in your first post, since it’s right outside the Rawl’kha outlaw refuge door.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although not my favorite due to style preference I will agree with all the others that are telling you Sleek Creek, for overall convenience it is exceptional.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Snugpod is cheap, easy to decorate, and has lots of creative options to offer.
  • Tygerfire
    Tygerfire
    ✭✭
    I really like sleek creek (actually looks like a place I'd like to VRBO at), but since its 335k gold, I may atleast browse around some of the million dollar houses for a comparison.

Surprisingly, touring all of these houses is alot more fun than I thought it would be.

Making a decision...not so much.
  • Catsmoke14
    Catsmoke14
    ✭✭✭
    If you have around 1.3 million to spend you might try Hunding's Palatial Hall.

Large inside and out, interesting, with a working (more or less) tower, ocean front property. Not convenient to the wayshrine so I always recall to some other property.

I also own Mournoth Keep (as already suggested above). It is also a nice place.
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jungle house, Humblemud, Twin Arches, Autumn gate.
  • LadyHeloise
    LadyHeloise
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn Gate is a lovely small house with an outside area and plenty of scope to personalise the inside. Not near much though. My second choice would be Black Vine Villa in Malabal Tor - small, cheap and near interesting things. And I like that sort of architecture. Sleek Creek I like too, especially as it is so conveniently located, but I'm not so keen on this type of architecture and don't use the house much. Decorating the underneath area is fun though. You can always set a budget and order the list at http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Player_Houses
    Edited by LadyHeloise on April 12, 2018 9:30AM
    PC-EU.
  • Shadowfell
    Shadowfell
    ✭✭
    I've never bought it but am always tempted by the Old Mistvale Manor just outside Riften - close to a town and really pretty - nice balcony and garden
    Nine Trait Crafting Argonian Templar!

PSN James2908
    Guild: Stinkhorn Ridge Hoppers
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twin Arches is a good starter size, with appropriately-sized outdoor space, and is somewhat near a wayshrine, and a town if you do the quest to clean it up.

Humblemud is crazy cheap, and all of Bal Foyen's services are in one room nearby. It's really small, so you won't have to do a lot of decorating for it to feel complete.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2400CP
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was considering the snug pod because it’s big open room. Then I bought something with crowns. I got all the basic housing stuff and lots of pictures.
  • Tygerfire
    Tygerfire
    ✭✭
    You guys keep coming through with great stuff, including the link to all the houses by price.

Side note: I can't help but giggle at the thought of living in the "Stay-Moist Mansion"
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twin Arches is a good starter size, with appropriately-sized outdoor space, and is somewhat near a wayshrine, and a town if you do the quest to clean it up.

Humblemud is crazy cheap, and all of Bal Foyen's services are in one room nearby. It's really small, so you won't have to do a lot of decorating for it to feel complete.

I have Twin Arches, and like the house itself, but Hallin's Stand is lacking several crafting stations, or bank, and you can't start/end crafting writs there. It's about on par with Autumn's Gate for convenience to a wayshrine, and is a little larger. Nimhalen is a small town with minimal crafting and no bank, too.

Humblemud and Snugpod are similar in having no exterior space, but being near to crafting. Snugpod is also close to bank/writ pickup/turn-in, so wins between those two for me.

Furnishing is another consideration. If you're making your own, you need plans and skills. Redguard stuff for Twin Arches seems to be easy to find plans for, and not too difficult to make. By contrast, the basic single bed for Khajiit style needed crafting level 8. Breton furnishings are probably the easiest to get started with, as you can farm plans at Montclair Manor, once the quest is done, and their skill requirements are reasonable. That could make the Daggerfall and Wayrest homes a good choice.
    Edited by ghastley on April 12, 2018 6:03PM