Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Does ESO require Oracle "Java" ?

Tai-Chi
Tai-Chi
✭✭✭✭
The heading says it all.

I am not particularly PC literate, so I could use some help.

My PC is 64 bit but I keep getting pop-ups instructing me to update Java 32 bit.
It is very annoying because the pop-ups keep interfering with whatever else I am doing. If I do not need it, I would like to get rid.

Thanks in advance. :)

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA

Best Answers

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My primary ssd crached so I had to do an emergency windows install.
    No java here, run ESO, it require some c++ runtimes, windows update or an google search on missing file and select the Microsoft site answer.

If this site demand java I assume you have an hostile addon.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Answer ✓
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know you do not need java for ESO - or any newer games for that matter. I don't even have java installed, and I run every game I have without issues. I would suggest uninstalling it.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
    Answer ✓
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    As vamp said, either update java so you don't get a virus, or uninstall it. ESO does not use it. And if you find you need it later you can always reinstall it.
    Answer ✓
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tai-Chi wrote: »
    I have no idea where it came from but I shall uninstall it.
    After Oracle bought Java from Sun Microsystems, they've been pushing it to get it installed on every machine they could.

Unfortunately, this means that software you wanted would do a sneaky install of Java that is not needed and you didn't want.

McAfee is notorious for this (another software program which should be uninstalled as well).

If you aren't running anything requiring Java, absolutely uninstall it. There are more security holes in Java than there is in Adobe Flash (which should also be uninstalled).

Answer ✓
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would just update java, then you won't get those popups.

Edited by vamp_emily on April 8, 2018 11:56PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for replying.

I have no idea where it came from but I shall uninstall it.

My gut instincts told me it could not have anything to do with playing ESO but there was always that nagging doubt. I say that because the pop-ups started when ESO changed to only 64-bit and they became more frequent over the last few weeks.

Your answers have reassured me. I can now play ESO uninterrupted. :)

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA