Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Vma Rink of frozen blood last stage

rumple9
rumple9
✭✭✭✭✭
Guys need some help. I have spent countless hours this week wiping on matriarch runa. I am tearing my hair out. I have read Joy's guide and watched countless videos so I know the tactics but still keep wiping.

Mag sorc with 800 CP. I have tried countless builds - pure DPS, double pets, restro staff in back bar and even 3 shields.

Another problem is that most times crushing shock doesn't interrupt the trolls and I can only reliably do it with bash.

Any insight would help. I realise it's not a dps race but the damage is huge.

I typically wipe when runa is around 60-50%
Edited by rumple9 on April 5, 2018 6:07PM
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are you wiping? Is it from the adds? Or from Runa breaking the platform?

Make sure to kill the ranged adds asap, especially the ice mages. They do a ton of damage, and they always like to stand in the water. Don't put a ton of damage on Runa until the execute phase, otherwise you'll get overrun with adds. Best to take your time until then.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my super simple strategy for beating this stage: worked for me at CP300, works for me now. Makes it the easiest boss fight outside of arena 1.

Guidelines:

1. Always kill trolls ASAP. If crushing shock is bugging out, slot Streak and cross islands with 2x Streaks. One shield should keep you from taking any damage from the water as you cross.
    2. never, ever ult the boss. Save your ult.
    3. If there are no trolls, heavy attack the boss. Keep all your resources up. circle strafe her to avoid red and keep stamina management easy.

Detailed steps:
    1. Start on the island that has the HEAL sigil. Keep resources high and kill trolls while SLOWLY damaging boss. Stop damaging boss as soon as first wave of adds spawn. Ult and clear adds. Continue clearing trolls, keeping resources up, and slowly damaging boss until you have ult up--THEN grab healing sigil and damage boss until she triggers the island wipe.
    2. Move to the HASTE sigil island, ult the Lemenied Oracle and kill it fast. Then back to "clear troll, build ult, heavy attack boss" rotation. Once you have ult, damage boss until she spawns next 2 adds. Ult and clear them. Build ult, clear trolls, yawn, etc. Once you have ult, grab the haste sigil, burn boss until she starts to destroy the island and boogie for the last island.
    3. Same drill. Clear trolls, slow play boss, build ult. Once you have ult, grab BOTH sigils and burn boss with ult and all damage you can muster. You can essentially ignore the last 2 adds with the DEFENSE sigil up, and if you have decent DPS you should burn boss pretty easily before she destroys the last island, especially with OFFENSE sigil.

It's time consuming and not a leaderboard strategy, but it's super easy. The key thing to remember is that trolls spawn on a timer, but adds and island destruction happen when the boss hits certain HP thresholds--so you can avoid EVER fighting an add clump or a lemenied oracle except when you have ult up to burn them (meteor is pretty great for this use).
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always switch islands the moment the boss reaches me. It prevents my aoes or Skoria from hitting the boss too much. On a mag sorc, shields and boundless storm really help in this fight. And Then I range down the adds. But I have never had an issue with crushing shock not working. You could always hit it twice.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t ignore the sigils ... they’re there to help you in a pinch.

I usually save ultimate until the last ice sheet. That’s the only DPS race in that stage.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ as above the only DPS race is last island.

In short, boss breaks islands on health % and adds spawn on health %

Clear adds before you beast boss through next threshold.and stress yourself out.

Start island 1, DPS boss. Interupt and kill troll. When adds come kill them fast, dps boss run to 2nd island while she breaks first.

DPS boss till adds come, sigil if you need it, kill adds beast boss as you run to third. Get both sigils, go crazy on boss everything you have
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is killing you? The boss, the adds or the platform breaking?

The key to this fight is controlled dps on the boss, quickly take down the adds and then burn the boss down on the final island.

It really helps to end on the island with the defensive and offensive sigil. After boss breaks the 2nd island take the def sigil and drop your destro ult on the boss and adds.

If Crushing Shock doesnt interrupt I would respec morphs and choose is it again. Maybe that will fix the bug. Note that you can only interrupt the trolls when they raise their hands to smash the island.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save the shield/power sigil for the last island (the one that they’re on) when you get there grab shield and then power and Just go to town on the boss. Let adds die via aoes and don’t worry about ranged attacks too much since you can just absorb. Now would be the time to drop a destro ult. For me this was the hardest stage, I think it is for many. It’s extremely frustrating.
    Edited by Vapirko on April 6, 2018 2:05AM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You control the pace:

First pair of adds is at 90% of her health.
    Destruction of first island at 75% of her health.
    Next big wave of adds is at 60%, then destruction of second island at 45%, as far as I remember.

In case it helps. I hope I got the figures right ;).

I also agree with Vapirko. Start with the island that has the speed sigil. Make sure she destroys that first, then the health sigil one, and leave the power / defense sigil one til last.

Don't forget to tab target the trolls, if there is a crowd around them.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)