The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Ebonarm

carljokl
carljokl
✭✭✭
I was reading through pages on Elderscrolls Lore and came across Ebonarm. It noted that all references to Ebonarm has been removed from the ESO version of Lore Books as compared with the Daggerfall ones.

I don't have any particular strong feelings about Ebonarm to care if he exists in the universe or not, however I was intrigued as to why he was blotted out? What difference does it make? If someone is mentioned in a Lorebook there isn't an obligation to include them in the game. It isn't a case of just omitting mentioning him but a deliberate editing out. Does ESO have some issue with Ebonarm? Is it an issue of timing as ESO is set in the earliest time of any of the Elder Scrolls games that I am aware of.
My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have read that many believe he is the Ebony Warrior that approaches you when you reach level 81 in Skyrim, or at least a reference/homage to him.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Ebony_Warrior
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly dont know the source of ebonarm but my guess would be that hes a creation of a Beta Tester from the time of Daggerfall. Way back when, Bethesda didnt have a whole lot of lore to work with for with Elder Scrolls. Arena was very popular but they wanted something more with Daggerfall. And due to a number of factors at the time the developers allowed a number of Beta Testers for the game to create their own lore that was considered "canon".

But theres a problem with allowing individuals who dont belong to the company or have control over the creative direction of a game to create lore for said game. It interferes with future installments and possible stories that the company may want to tell at a later time. And so after Daggerfall you no longer have Bethesda inserting player created lore into the game. They may reference something or add something as an easter egg. But the time of players adding lore to the game was long over. And Bethesda has done their best to distance themselves from certain aspects of that player created lore.

Now I could be completely wrong here about ebonarm being player created. And Bethesda is simply retconning their own creation because it doesnt really suit what they want in a Elder Scrolls game. It wouldnt be the first time Bethesda did this. But my money is on just about any whacky and out of place lore that doesnt seem to appear in newer ES installments have a good chance of being player created.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on April 6, 2018 4:43AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, too that there are legends in the game world that aren't "true" in the sense that they didn't happen quite as everyone thinks, or are the exploits of multiple people got merged into a single persona. Ebonarm is likely to be that kind of lore.

It's just like some Greek or Norse heros not being real historic persons, as compared to genuine kings and conquerors. Helen of Troy was probably real, Perseus not, and so on.
  • Aldorexi
    Aldorexi
    Soul Shriven
    The best explanation i've seen is when TALOS trinity ascended, He replaced ebonarm as the |God of war and governance
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Talos doesn't apply in ESO terms because he doesn't exist yet within the second era timeline. It is possible neither does Ebonarm yet.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the most likely is a same case than Talos but Daedra-wise
    Reymon Ebonarm is not born yet so his legend making him so powerful in afterlife to the point of being seen as a god of war haven't occured yet

this, or Korah_Eaglecry is right and he has been "zero-summed" :lol:
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;