Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help: I wanna be a tank!

LukosCreyden
LukosCreyden
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hey everyone, so I was checking out my old main (imperial DK crafter) and noticed he had a heck load of spare skill points, so I thought I'd do some adjusting and make him into a tank! Problem is, I have never tanked in an mmo before, so I haven't a clue on what to do in regards to build or gear sets.

I would probably need something craftable + a monster set to get me started, but any and all advice would be appreciated for someone who is a complete nub to tanking.
Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.

Best Answers

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Builds and gear I would reccomend checking out Woeler or Alcast's guides (linked below)

https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-tank-build-pve/
    https://woeler.eu (check under Builds)

As for the basics I believe Woeler has some videos which cover thing you need to know but otherwise it's go in, taunt the boss (or strong adds) use chains to pull ranged monsters in to the melee ones and stack them up for your DD's to use AoE on them all.

Each boss has some specific mechanics you'll need to learn, you can either ask your groups for this information or watch some guides, but the basics are block heavy attacks, avoid red circles (or shield through it) and keep debuffs up.

Tanks have a support/debuff role on top of the normal act of taunting and keeping a bosses agro.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buy war maiden for hp, its fairly cheap and chudan shoulders for resistance.. good place to start!

Also hist bark ain't bad for newbie tanks
    Answer ✓
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Turelus thank you very much! I knew there were some guides out there, but wasn't sure where to find them. All that other info will surely be of great help too.

@Ozstryker I do believe i have chudan and I can also craft hist, so I shall take a look at them! Thnks for the help!
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem.

I would recommend Woeler over Alcast for starting off, he's one of the best tanks in ESO and his entry level builds is easy to achieve. Alcast focuses more on build for end game trials and dungeons (but worth reading what he says).

The best thing you can do if you don't already have one though is get a nice PvE guild. They will be able to talk you through some of the basics with live groups and let you learn by playing.

Normally you can go in taunt the boss and point it away from the group (just walk around behind it and it will keep facing you), keep the Sword and Shield taunt up as this also debuffs the bosses resistances.

Ultimate wise most groups desire that you have War Horn (Alliance War ability, fast to gain via Battlegrounds) as this buffs the group damage output.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait what? War maiden for a tank? Are you insane?
    Hist bark for sure works, also torugs pact is a well appreciated set.
    Otherwise akavir dragonguard or ebony male are typical tank sets. If you are really new, try out whiteplanks revenge set (i thinks its called like that), which gives you a shield from time to time.
  • l.ys
    l.ys
    ✭✭
    Take care to look up guides on youtube, to determine what sets and skills are easy to start with :)
    All hardmode trials done on NA
    @Rostelore ingame user.
    Main templar healer
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Wait what? War maiden for a tank? Are you insane?

Oh damn, apologies I meant warrior poet... war maiden is definitely not tanking gear.