The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So Summerset's been out for a while. What do you guys think of the environment?

psychotrip
psychotrip
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm Mannimarco-ing this thread rather than making a new one. Now that the chapter's been out for a while, I want to know what you guys think of Summerset's environment.

1. How does it stack up against other post-launch regions?
2. How "dense" does the environment feel? Do you feel there are enough landmarks, settlements, or other unique set-pieces?
3. How diverse does the environment feel? Can you tell one area apart from another? Remember that even many islands have multiple biomes / climates.
4. How diverse do the cities feel? Can you easily distinguish them from each other? Do they each have their own unique flavor?
6. Does the environment feel distinct from the rest of Tamriel? Do you find the landscape unique?

Let's discuss. I've been bringing back a lot of these old-ish threads to see how opinions have changed, and I'm curious to read your thoughts.

Here's the original thread below:

I was looking through the currently released images the other day when I noticed something:

d0ff82eabd2a82657064ad835759e02c.jpg
a2b6c963cc6e4c2f951188a16f59294b.jpg
015c64f6b7fbe64bd3c520627e49a0ef.jpg
b71873445a9885be59349856e9cd4e48.jpg
1c3b8839bc2de93814732922e91ccf15.jpg
10c922595b02fff6d8d140da74b33739.jpg
57e10fa19892d2e64ac5ccf73540968a.jpg
203716c09f19138be89c3284d3949565.jpg
6ad9d31408ad337863fbfedc7ba697c9.jpg
summerset-map.jpg
https://youtu.be/uU-fq3T-eow?t=404

Notice anything? Each of these locations features the exact same environment: a forest edged by a beach.

Note that these images are from very, very different regions of Summerset. Some are supposedly at the peak of mountains, others at sea-level. Some far to the north, others down south. It's all the same. Can you even tell these are in different regions of a country?

I gotta say, everything they've shown about Summerset, except for Artaeum, is looking pretty samey so far. Not only could they not be bothered to make the cities look distinct (like they did with Morrowind), but is Summerset really just a single biome / climate?

Sure, you can write it off by saying "the altmer used magic to make it this way", but that's yet another retroactive justification for bland worldbuilding.

Sure, you can argue that Summerset doesn't cover enough land to have much diversity, but look at Vvardenfell.

Sure, you can argue that "we just haven't seen different environments yet" but if so: where would they even be? We've seen images of every major city so far, and even the tallest peak of the island (try and see if you can spot it just by looking at the images).

So, are we really expected to trot through samey-looking forests and beaches for an entire chapter? Does this seem a little bland to anyone else? Some people may not prioritize art and world design, but even the most gameplay-oriented fan would get bored if every level looked more or less the same.

Edit: Sidenote, by the way. Look closely at the map for Summerset. The cities there look way more unique and diverse than what we're apparently getting in-game. Just thought I'd point that out.

Seriously guys, it’s laughable to say an island can only have one climate. Click this link.
Edited by psychotrip on August 16, 2018 10:00PM
No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is an island after all.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kodrac wrote: »

So is Vvardenfell. I don't see your point.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

An island doesn't typically cover more than one climate.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet Vvardenfell has volcanic rivers, ashen wastes, green plains, swamps, archipelagos, lush forests, craggy scrublands, etc. It also has more than one city-style.

Being an island doesn't excuse a lack of environmental diversity. Why does Sumerset get left behind?
    Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 4:26AM

• ThumbtackJake
    ThumbtackJake
    ✭✭✭

And yet Vvardenfell has volcanic rivers, ashen wastes, green plains, swamps, archipelagos, etc. It also has more than one city-style.

Being an island doesn't excuse a lack of environmental diversity.

I think that's mostly due to volcanic eruptions causing the different environments.
    Long term filthy casual.
  • shadelon
    shadelon
    ✭✭✭
    And Vvardenfell is much further north. Summerset is in a tropical climate.
    The Airstrike - Flower Lady

Champion 871 [Lv 50 Magward Healer, Lv 50 Stamward DPS, Lv 50 Warden Tank, Lv 50 MagWard DPS]

Guild Master of the League of Assassins (check us out at www.leagueofassassins-ps4.guildlaunch.com
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shadelon wrote: »
    And Vvardenfell is much further north. Summerset is in a tropical climate.

Except it doesn't appear tropical at all?

And yet Vvardenfell has volcanic rivers, ashen wastes, green plains, swamps, archipelagos, etc. It also has more than one city-style.

Being an island doesn't excuse a lack of environmental diversity.

I think that's mostly due to volcanic eruptions causing the different environments.

Volcanic eruptions only explain the lava and ash. And even so, does this really justify Summerset looking so samey? Am I just crazy?

• shadelon
    shadelon
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you are just crazy. Go lool at Auridon. Much better comparison. It is tropical. Vvardenfell is in a completely different climate being so much further north and having a massive volcano that dominates the island always active which is actually the reason for the giant mushrooms and stuff. The constant volcanic eruptions has a massive effect on the environment.
    The Airstrike - Flower Lady

Champion 871 [Lv 50 Magward Healer, Lv 50 Stamward DPS, Lv 50 Warden Tank, Lv 50 MagWard DPS]

Guild Master of the League of Assassins (check us out at www.leagueofassassins-ps4.guildlaunch.com
  • SexualCabbage
    SexualCabbage
    ✭✭
    I don't think there's going to be much variation sadly. I felt the same way when i heard the devs say before the release of morrowind that it was more "lush" then it was in TES III. As soon as i heard that i knew it was going to pretty much just be bigger deshaan, and i really wasn't far off.
    Jyggalag in the streets, Sheogorath in the sheets.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've said so myself.

Granted, I'm hesitant to moan too much about this before we've seen the island on the PTS.
    But by this time before Wrothgar's and Vvardenfell's release, we had already seen much more diverse landscapes.

I'm especially surprised that we haven't seen a single palm tree so far on this tropical island.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shadelon wrote: »
    Yes you are just crazy. Go lool at Auridon. Much better comparison. It is tropical. Vvardenfell is in a completely different climate being so much further north and having a massive volcano that dominates the island always active which is actually the reason for the giant mushrooms and stuff. The constant volcanic eruptions has a massive effect on the environment.

I didn't even bring up the mushrooms, but even so you're entirely wrong. The mushrooms are planted by the Telvanni, even when not on Vvardenfell. The volcano doesn't explain the verdant plains, swamps, forests, scrublands, archipelagos etc.

We're talking about the Summerset mainland of the expansion, not Auridon. I'm not sure how many tropical places you've been, but either way this is ultimately irrelevant. A tropical landscape can still be diverse. Skyrim is a mostly boreal climate and yet it's far more diverse than this. Even Eastmarch, a single hold (even smaller than the island of Summerset) has more environmental diversity with its steam-pools, frozen wastes, and forests.

And if nothing else, isn't this just a little bit boring from a visual standpoint? A bit uninspired to make an entire chapter and only give us one environment to look at? Whether we're on a mountain top or at the beach?
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I'm especially surprised that we haven't seen a single palm tree so far on this tropical island.

Exactly. If this is a tropical island it's a pretty bland one.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 4:48AM

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the 4th picture looks a little phallic. The Altmer have issues.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really?

https://huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/big-island-climate-zones_n_6866828.html

• psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    I noticed the 4th picture looks a little phallic. The Altmer have issues.

That's the best they could come up with for the crystal tower, apparently.

• psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »

Really?

https://huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/big-island-climate-zones_n_6866828.html

I'm putting this in my OP. The notion that an island should only have one environment is laughable. Take a look at Japan as well.

@shadelon @Kodrac Take a look at that article. It's actually got some really beautiful pics too.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People shouldn't make this an argument about realism, because it isn't. It's purely gameplay.

Vvardenfell in TES3 had vastly different biomes. So did Cyrodiil in TES4, and Skyrim in TES5. Frankly I can't think of any RPG that doesn't offer different environments to explore. It's mainly for the enjoyment of the player to see different places.

ZOS did a great job with it in Wrothgar and Vvardenfell - the smaller DLCs didn't lend themselves to a lot of environmental diversity, although there still is quite a bit in Hew's Bane and the Gold Coast.

The only reason the base game zones aren't really diverse are developmental constraints: Instead of creating a larger diversity within each zone, they decided to make every zone distinct from each other. Which is fine, zone borders are basically biome borders.

So holding Summerset to the same standard as any other RPG, including the ones in the main TES line and content released by ZOS previously, is not too much to ask.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an elvish/forested version of Southern California climate/weather wise: which makes sense looking at it's location on the map.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Altmer pride themselves in having the hottest womens beach volleyball teams.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they're elves. proto-typical elves. proto-typical elves in nearly every fantasy environment I can remember since childhood exist in perpetual clean happy forests. Lotro elves, high elves from dnd (admittedly modeled after tolkien elves), elves from...well, okay, nearly all elves from nearly every major feature film/tv-series/video game are more-or-less modeled after tolkien elves to varying degrees...so...maybe that's the fundamental problem

my point being, that for whatever reason, we have a titanically overreaching fantasy stereotype about "ELVES"...not all elves (we allow all kinds of sub-cultures of elves to be all kinds of kooky) but our fundamental stereotype elves always live in these perpetual arboreal springtime paradises, carefully sequestered from the world where they maintain a harmony with all living blah blah blah *retch*...

sorry...it's just, I'm so tired of the stereotype elf. I happily embraced morrowind (es3) when I played it. The dunmer were JERKS!!!...it was awesome. dusky-toned, dour little jerks, but not the diametrically opposite and evil "dark-elf" - I really enjoyed them, and enjoyed the portrayal of wood elves, and the presence of argonians and khajit, and the total absence of a "elves vs dwarves" storyline that seems to be so oppressively present in so many fantasy worlds

don't get me wrong - I love the hobbit and the lord of the rings trilogy - but Tolkien created such vivid portrayals of classic fantasy "races" that sadly have become so rigidly planted in the public consciousness that it seems nearly impossible to break out

*sigh*

I had a point when I started this rant
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phermitgb wrote: »
    they're elves. proto-typical elves. proto-typical elves in nearly every fantasy environment I can remember since childhood exist in perpetual clean happy forests. Lotro elves, high elves from dnd (admittedly modeled after tolkien elves), elves from...well, okay, nearly all elves from nearly every major feature film/tv-series/video game are more-or-less modeled after tolkien elves to varying degrees...so...maybe that's the fundamental problem

my point being, that for whatever reason, we have a titanically overreaching fantasy stereotype about "ELVES"...not all elves (we allow all kinds of sub-cultures of elves to be all kinds of kooky) but our fundamental stereotype elves always live in these perpetual arboreal springtime paradises, carefully sequestered from the world where they maintain a harmony with all living blah blah blah *retch*...

sorry...it's just, I'm so tired of the stereotype elf. I happily embraced morrowind (es3) when I played it. The dunmer were JERKS!!!...it was awesome. dusky-toned, dour little jerks, but not the diametrically opposite and evil "dark-elf" - I really enjoyed them, and enjoyed the portrayal of wood elves, and the presence of argonians and khajit, and the total absence of a "elves vs dwarves" storyline that seems to be so oppressively present in so many fantasy worlds

don't get me wrong - I love the hobbit and the lord of the rings trilogy - but Tolkien created such vivid portrayals of classic fantasy "races" that sadly have become so rigidly planted in the public consciousness that it seems nearly impossible to break out

*sigh*

I had a point when I started this rant

Believe it or not, there was a time when Altmer weren’t prototypical elves. ZOS threw that notion in the garbage with the rest of the “transcription errors”.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which seems odd, because of all the races I'd think the Altmer are the ones to care the least about the environment or "nature".
    What do they care about a forest? Creation was a mistake anyway, and if you really wanted to, you could just magic it back in some fashion. Do you want to muck about in the dirt like a Bosmer or the lizard folk? They have Goblin slaves for that.
    Even an (magical) industrial wasteland would fit much better with their culture, imo.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Red Mountain > Summerset.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Which seems odd, because of all the races I'd think the Altmer are the ones to care the least about the environment or "nature".
    What do they care about a forest? Creation was a mistake anyway, and if you really wanted to, you could just magic it back in some fashion. Do you want to muck about in the dirt like a Bosmer or the lizard folk? They have Goblin slaves for that.
    Even an (magical) industrial wasteland would fit much better with their culture, imo.

Copied from ESO wiki, Auridon page:

Riliadir, viewing gardens in Auridon:
    “It’s too, well, clean, I guess. It’s not like Valenwood at all. Wood Elves, we’re part of the forest and we work together with the trees; the Altmer demand obedience from them. If they can’t magically force them into shape, they’ll cut them. I’ve seen it, the obsessive clipping and pruning and even tying trunks down to encourage them to bend in strange ways. I heard they’ll have them uprooted, even after years of work, if just one flower blooms without exactly the right number of petals, or if one fruit doesn’t have the ‘proper’ number of seeds. It’s all about control for them. It’s horrible. I feel bad for their gardens.”
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    its-magic.jpg
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To anyone who wondered how much of the island will actually be accessible:

sQvzAjj.png

Yeah. Lol.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People shouldn't make this an argument about realism, because it isn't. It's purely gameplay.

Vvardenfell in TES3 had vastly different biomes. So did Cyrodiil in TES4, and Skyrim in TES5. Frankly I can't think of any RPG that doesn't offer different environments to explore. It's mainly for the enjoyment of the player to see different places.

ZOS did a great job with it in Wrothgar and Vvardenfell - the smaller DLCs didn't lend themselves to a lot of environmental diversity, although there still is quite a bit in Hew's Bane and the Gold Coast.

The only reason the base game zones aren't really diverse are developmental constraints: Instead of creating a larger diversity within each zone, they decided to make every zone distinct from each other. Which is fine, zone borders are basically biome borders.

So holding Summerset to the same standard as any other RPG, including the ones in the main TES line and content released by ZOS previously, is not too much to ask.
    It would make no sense for Summerset to have an cold north part like Wrothgar or Eastmark. Reapers marc goes into desert as you move east.

Cyrodil and Oblivion has an frozen northern part even if south of the Rift, probably as they wanted more variation in Oblivion . Southern part of Oblviion was tropical.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

It would make no sense for Summerset to have an cold north part like Wrothgar or Eastmark. Reapers marc goes into desert as you move east.

Cyrodil and Oblivion has an frozen northern part even if south of the Rift, probably as they wanted more variation in Oblivion . Southern part of Oblviion was tropical.
    They can have chillier mountain areas, it's nothing unusual even in warm countries.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, don't you see it's Disneyland? What's climate?

@ZOS really, was expecting something different about architecture (there is an entire thread about that), now it seems you didn't bother to give some climate variation... make this freaking place a bit special, because it should be so! It's Elves land, damn.

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is nonsense. Tropical islands can have plenty of environments:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/big-island-climate-zones_n_6866828.html

So explain to me why ZOS is slacking.
    its-magic.jpg

Sure, you can write it off by saying "the altmer used magic to make it this way", but that's yet another retroactive justification for bland worldbuilding.

Besides, aren’t people also saying that the Altmer’s super advanced magical abilities were just “exaggerations”? Which explains why the cities look so mundane and bland? You can’t have it both ways.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 2:58PM

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

They can have chillier mountain areas, it's nothing unusual even in warm countries.
    Good point about mountains who we know it has.
    Have we seen shots from that area yet.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.