Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Something that confuses me about Ebonheart...

Azyle1
Azyle1
✭✭✭✭✭
In TES III, wasn't Ebonheart a part of VVardenfell? In ESO, it's not. What gives? Error on their part? Something happen between now and TES III that causes it to move?
  • Theryl
    Theryl
    ✭✭✭
    Back in Arena (TES I) it was on the mainland, TES III moved it to Vvardenfell. This was later explained away by saying there was an "Old" Ebonheart on the mainland and a new, Imperial Ebonheart on Vvardenfell. Since ESO takes place long before TES III the Vvardenfell part hasn't been built yet.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There a note in Arcchcanon Tarvus' office which details Vivec taking a stroll in Stonefalls Ebonheart and basically telling the Archcanon "I want one. Build me an Ebonheart just like that one."
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a Paris in Texas. And five separate Portsmouths in the U.S, none of which are the real one.

Castle Ebonheart was the foothold of the 3rd era Duchy of Ebonheart on Vaardenfell, not actually another city of the same name. The one in Stonefalls is the old capital of the minor kingdom/ city state of the Second Era. It would still exist in the third and fourth eras as a city, but no longer one of the same importance. Castle Ebonheart was an Imperial construction, rather than a Dunmer one, although the Duke was a Dark Elf at the time of Morrowind. Considering that some of the Emperors had been Dunmer, because of the matriarchal inheritance of race, it's quite likely that the Duke's father or grandfather was Imperial.
  • AgmarTheUnrestful
    ghastley wrote: »
    There's a Paris in Texas. And five separate Portsmouths in the U.S, none of which are the real one.
    There's also a London and a Lyndon (which may be etymologically related to the name of London; just apply the proper vowel-shift...) in Kentucky, as well as a Lexington, a Frankfort (again, vowel-shift for etymological relation), and a New Castle (I should know; I live less than a mile south of said New Castle). There's also a Hollywood in Maryland. So there's absolutely no reason why Morrowind can't have two Ebonhearts, I guess so long as they're in separate territories or regions. In fact, Arena had two Glenpoints: one in High Rock, and one in Valenwood.
    Edited by AgmarTheUnrestful on May 17, 2018 8:10PM
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    Just like Riften, the one in ESO isn't the same in Skyrim, because Riften was destroyed and rebuilt several times, over the course of 1000 years. 800 to ESIII
  • Yo_Donno
    Yo_Donno
    ✭✭✭
    So if you pay attention to the storyline in Vvardenfell, I think Vivec makes a comment like "I visited Ebonheart in Stonefalls and I loved it. I simply MUST have one of my own here on Vvardfell."

And as we all know, ESO takes place long before Morrowind on the TES timeline.

So I think the implication is that Vivec moved it.

EDIT: or built a replica
    Edited by Yo_Donno on April 14, 2018 4:14AM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yo_Donno wrote: »
    So if you pay attention to the storyline in Vvardenfell, I think Vivec makes a comment like "I visited Ebonheart in Stonefalls and I loved it. I simply MUST have one of my own here on Vvardfell."

@Yo_Donno As @VaranisArano noted, it's a note in the Archcanon's office. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

EXPECTING SEVERAL HOURS OF DOWNTIME FOR PC/NA.
  • AgmarTheUnrestful
    Yo_Donno wrote: »

I think it's more like the Empire built a second Ebonheart on Vvardenfell (or expanded Vivec's remake) in the late Third Era, as 'New' Ebonheart is a major centre of power for Imperial representation on Vvardenfell (and, indeed, all Morrowind) in TES3; quite a number of quests pertaining directly to the Empire will send you to 'New' Ebonheart, or, at least, make reference to somebody or something there.

BTW, pretty sure 'Old' Ebonheart still existed after 'New' Ebonheart was built; I think some of the books and characters in TES3 & 4 (perhaps 5? 'Old' Ebonheart may not have survived Red Mountain's eruption in the early Fourth Era, and 'New' Ebonheart is surely a smouldering hole in the ground; somebody please help clarify this ;) ) make reference to 'Old' Ebonheart, with very few discussing the one on Vvardenfell.

EDIT: I advise everyone who's confused about this whole Ebonheart-schism to read ghastley's post; it contains the exact, and correct, details. For those looking for further information, I highly recommend the UESP (Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages; it's the largest and most complete fan-wiki of The Elder Scrolls, for those who don't know; the address is en.uesp.net); in the search-box, type Lore:Ebonheart (exactly like that; no space after the colon); it will most likely present two options, one for the Ebonheart on Vvardenfell and another for the original on the mainland; choose whichever one you want to know about; both articles should, at some point, explain the lore behind why there are two Ebonhearts.
    Edited by AgmarTheUnrestful on May 12, 2018 6:25AM
  • AgmarTheUnrestful
    Kierro wrote: »
    Just like Riften, the one in ESO isn't the same in Skyrim, because Riften was destroyed and rebuilt several times, over the course of 1000 years. 800 to ESIII
    I just did the math, and there's actually only 741 years between ESO and TES3 (948 between ESO and TES5). Not really that much of a difference, but still interesting, for those who might want to know ;)
  • rainman
    rainman
    As ghastley already mentioned (but you all see to prefer to ignore information and keep the conjecturing rants going), there is no "town" of Ebonheart in TES: Morrowind. There is only the Castle Ebonheart, the seat of imperial power, named after the Duke:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ebonheart_(Morrowind)
    Edited by rainman on July 27, 2018 11:32AM